HD100 - oh no - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 18th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #16
Major Player

Jerry that box was unchecked already, sadly. Still no recognition, trying my Vegas 7 computers next.
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Brian is right about something : the HD1U-HD10U camera would play the 720P format. Furthermore, i think it will play both 24P and 30P (even though it will just record in 30P). Do a search but i think i remember that it will play 24P without displaying it...BUT the camera will send the signal to your NLE.

Good luck

Philippe
Philippe Messier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #18
Major Player

Camera in HDV mode is not recognized on my other computers either, only the SD mode. Long shot, could the firewire cable itself be a problem? It is in fact starting to appear my circuit is shot. Obviously, I'm beside myself with this.

Philippe, via firewire? I'm not sure I understood your post?
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Best View Post

Philippe, via firewire? I'm not sure I understood your post?
I think he means you'd use the HD1U-HD10U as deck. Shoot with your HD100, put the tape into the Hd1u and capture with NLE.

Be sure to try that cineform stand alone capture software. I'm hoping this is a Vegas issue not a circuit board issue.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=86544
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #20
Major Player

Michael,

When you go into Vegas, how are you trying to capture the hdv footage? You've already unchecked the external capture option so that's a start. You should start from within your Project Media Bin. From there, click the little icon for Capture Video. It should ask you if you want to capture DV (external program) or HDV (internal program). You check the HDV option and a window bin opens up down with your Project Media etc. If you're seeing something different then go back and try again.

If you're at that window then you should have some type of camera control through the on screen buttons. If you do, hit record and let it go.

It's not the usual capture like when you do dv files, so I just wanted to make sure you're at the correct window.

Also, windows won't see the camera as a imaging device in the hdv mode. So don't expect it to pop up on windows like when you were capturing dv. It might be working fine and just appearing where you think it's going to be. I had some quirks when I switched over to hdv but once I made that first capture everything went smooth after that.

Good luck.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #21
Major Player

New cable didn't work. I wish there were some other setting I might be missing maybe in the menus but I can't find anything. Yeah different capture method is a must or I'm back to SD. I'd try Cineform but I'm being told that the computer has to at least 'see' the camera which it is not unless it's in SD mode. I'm trying to find something realitively inexpensive to throw across the room right now..
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #22
Major Player

I posted again before Ben's response, and while I certainly need a drink I'm going back at it, words of hope I'm praying..
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Abdul Jamal View Post
$1014.76 FOR PARTS , $289.91 FOR LABOR , 91.32 FOR TAX.

like i said they wanted $1995 at first and i told the guy i was coming and pick up my camera that's when he reduced the price down to $1395 which is still too much for replacing the firewire circuit board .
How can it possibly, under any circumstances, cost this much for the part.

Has JVC taken a new approach to get money?!?

Especially, with the number of firewire ports that I've seen reported as going out, JVC could mass produce the item, which would bring the price down to about $20 wouldn't.

This is the most shocked I've been in a real long time, and I don't shock easily. (I actually think the price of CineSaddle is okay, and I own one.)

Is this perhaps in Singapore dollars?

If you hadn't gotten the reduction, you would have had to pay close to $1700 for the firewire board. that's almost two AB battery setyups! This can't be real. If it is, as I said, I have a big opinion change.

Out of curiosity, what is the hourly labor rate? i.e. how many hours did it take to change the part? Or is the labor $600 an hour?
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #24
Major Player

Ben, still says device is unavailable. Under preferences it offers AJA video device and IEEE 1394/Mpeg2-TS Device, neither work
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
How can it possibly, under any circumstances, cost this much for the part.

They charge that much because they can. It's a gouge to be sure, but what can you do?

Some guy had a similar experience with a Sony firewire board, also a 3chip hdv unit--forgot the model, He got so pissed off he made a short film about it and posted it all over the place. I think he even posted it here. A British chap.

They have have us by the gonads and all they have to do is squeeze ever so slightly.

Michael, I think you're on the right track, how could it be the circuit board? You didn't connect a hot firewire so that'd mean it's a manufacturer's defect--that seems like a remote possibility.

The old stand by is uninstalling and reinstalling Vegas. Don't forget Cineform. I've never been able to capture HDV with Vegas, never. But Cineform is bulletproof. You're still a few moves away from the dreaded sledge hammer solution.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #26
Regular Crew

you get 90 days warranty for parts and 30 days for labor .
S. Abdul Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #27
Major Player

Great fun this week is - Dumped a bunch into a new computer, another monitor, a new router, a new wireless adapter to download V8, bought V8, now all for not and I get to stand in line to take it all back. December 18th?
I'm supposed to be jolly?
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Better Repair Rates in Canada?

Michael,

I know this may be too late but for what it's worth, you might want to check with Tim Dashwood about the possibility of getting it repaired at JVC Canada.

As an owner of 2 HD100's that have needed repairs because of customer mishandling, they have been surprisingly good and very reasonable both with parts and labour. We've got a great dealer here in the Toronto area and a miracle worker who heads up the repair department at JVC Canada, and although I have not had to replace a firewire board, Tim may have some idea of what that costs in Canada, and if that's possible within the JVC universe.

Sorry for your trouble. Maybe a Christmas miracle is still possible.
Michael Lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #29
Major Player

Thanks for that Michael. If the part is that fragile I'm not likely to have it fixed and have continued worries about it happening again, I think I'll opt
for a separate device for capture. I understand the warnings and all, what gets me on this one is I simply never touched that port once since new and to me, as stated by others, any repair bill even remotely close to what was posted is ridiculous.
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #30
Major Player

Just got a call back from a JVC rep, they really didn't want to tell me anything until they could see the camera but I said if it is in fact the circuit board what am I looking at? He said the part was about $1500. I never should have retired from Superbike racing..
Michael Best is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems