HD100 - oh no at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 18th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Major Player

HD100 - oh no

Decided to finally start shooting HDV, needed a huge computer upgrade, did that, Vegas 8 running on Vista. Have never used the firewire port once. After spending all the cash excited to test my new footage I found that the computer will only see the camera in SD mode, nothing in HDV. Furious, I called tech support who said their are two circuits and the HDV one is blown and to send it in. Ok, I've NEVER even touched the port prior and did the proper shut-off/hook-up procedure. I realize this has been presented before but I wanted to see if I was missing anything, they say no because the camera is communicating with the computer. For those that sent it in how much did they charge for the HDV circuit repair? It is out of warranty.
Michael Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #2
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Best View Post
Decided to finally start shooting HDV, needed a huge computer upgrade, did that, Vegas 8 running on Vista. Have never used the firewire port once. After spending all the cash excited to test my new footage I found that the computer will only see the camera in SD mode, nothing in HDV. Furious, I called tech support who said their are two circuits and the HDV one is blown and to send it in. Ok, I've NEVER even touched the port prior and did the proper shut-off/hook-up procedure. I realize this has been presented before but I wanted to see if I was missing anything, they say no because the camera is communicating with the computer. For those that sent it in how much did they charge for the HDV circuit repair? It is out of warranty.
I'd sure love the number you have for tech support...
Other then that I thought Vegas had problems with Vista and HDV...
Any other systems you can try it on like XP?
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #3
Major Player

1-800-252-5722, press 2 for camcorders then ask for the pro department

I'll try that tonight but both of the computers running Vegas 7 are in
need of updates so I'm doubting it. Thanks..
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Dump Vista. XP pro works.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #5
Major Player

I can appreicate your sentiments but at this point I'm more worried about the camera adn I'm really curious as to what that fix may cost so I can make some other decisions. Thanks
Old December 18th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #6

This is a really silly comment, please don't take offense. I've made this mistake several times. Did you flip the 1394 switch to HDV? Did you actually record one of the HDV modes?
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #7
Major Player

Not silly at all. Yes I did and yes I recorded in HDV mode.
Old December 18th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Firewire Port

i paid $1395.99 for firewire circuit board replacement yersterday at the jvc repair center in NJ but they wanted $1995.99 at first .
i didn't really appreciate the couple messages they left me about puting my camera in the jvc disposal area after charging my credit card if i didn't pick it up by dec 19 .

Last edited by S. Abdul Jamal; December 18th, 2007 at 03:01 PM.
S. Abdul Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Michael,
Are you aware that you have to tell Vegas that you wish to capture HDV? Go to Options, Preferences, Video and clear the "Use external video capture application" checkbox. OK this and then File, Capture Video. Vegas will not recognize your HDV camera otherwise.

Regards,
Jerry
Jerry Jesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #10
Major Player

$1395???

Jerry I'm going to start praying until I get home that you've got the answer, my remaining fear is that the computer itself is not recoginizing the device at all unless it's in SD mode, if I can't get that far I have my doubts that the software will be any different.

$1395 really? If that becomes the case here I'll start selling everything. Look for great deals on a massive lighting kit, grip, sound, production trucks,
etc....just dumped a ton into updating computers, software etc. Camera goes out of warranty as I worked on a year long project and had no time to shoot. Sit down having never even touched the port and I'm going to eat
$1395? Sorry, my hopes are low and I'm a bit furious, I followed every known precaution. Sorry about the venting
Old December 18th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #11
Regular Crew

yes $1395.99 .
S. Abdul Jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Abdul Jamal View Post
yes $1395.99 .
How much of that was for the part? Labor?

That's literally chilling.
Old December 18th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Abdul Jamal View Post
i paid $1395.99 for firewire circuit board replacement yersterday at the jvc repair center in NJ but they wanted $1995.99 at first .
i didn't really appreciate the couple messages they left me about puting my camera in the jvc disposal area after charging my credit card if i didn't pick it up by dec 19 .
Is this true? If it is, it is significant. I would like to know more about the details, who was involved, etc. Not happy to here this as I sit here with $20,000 of JVC equipment.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Best View Post
$1395???

Jerry I'm going to start praying until I get home that you've got the answer, my remaining fear is that the computer itself is not recoginizing the device at all unless it's in SD mode, if I can't get that far I have my doubts that the software will be any different.
Hey Michael,

I've always had trouble capturing directly from Vegas. I've always used Cineform, so get the trial version and see if that works.

If that happened to my camera, I don't think I'd pay no stinkin' 1400 bucks. I'm wondering if a Firestore would be a possible workaround or if that circuit board would also prevent the Firestore from doing its thing.

I believe there's a one chip JVC that could be used as a deck, but I think it lacks 24p.

Hope it works out for you my friend.
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
How much of that was for the part? Labor?

That's literally chilling.

$1014.76 FOR PARTS , $289.91 FOR LABOR , 91.32 FOR TAX.

like i said they wanted $1995 at first and i told the guy i was coming and pick up my camera that's when he reduced the price down to $1395 which is still too much for replacing the firewire circuit board .
S. Abdul Jamal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems