the 13x3.5BRMU Fujinon Lens or a 35mm ADAPTER???? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 14th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #31
Inner Circle

With the 13x, as soon as you turn on the camera and look in the LCD, you'll immediately notice a brighter more vivid image. The real question is in the cost/benefit analysis of such pricey piece of glass.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Try to find a Letus HD100 (the one that attaches directly to the camera body) and some lights for that money... If you find one get the GG replace with the one that comes in the new Letus Extreme. This is what i shot this with. It's a lil muddy due to the compression, no real post just crushed the blacks a bit.

http://www.theworksfilms.com/wi
Jamon Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #33
Major Player

On sort of the same topic, I've been looking at the mtf nikon adapter for my hd100u. I know you get a huge magnification; I'm curious if this would be better specifically for weddings and short films than my stock 16x. And before you respond: no, I don't have the cash for a 13x. No, I don't have the cash for a letus. No, I won't have the cash anytime soon- new mac first.
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #34
Trustee

No. its not useful for weddings and docs. I have the zoerk and the magnification is such that even a 20mm nikon gives you somethin like an 80-85mm fov.

In our facility, we have a 'events videography' dept which shoots weddings and they have the jvc hd100, I handle the corporate and commercial department and i use the HD200.

I only use my zoerk(which is very similar to the MTF) for Nature and outdoors and situations where extreme magnification is needed like when i shot mating butterflies and caterpillars and windsurfers about 3 miles out in the sea.

Your better off getting a wide adapter to thread infront of your stock lens if you need a wide angle.

You can play around with the macro of your fujinon to achieve an effect similar when using a DOF adapter, a blurred background, but it won't be as versatile as the lens adapters using the stock as relay.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Ramasola; December 14th, 2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added text
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #35
Major Player

I'm less concerned with wide angle shots as I usually don't need anything wider than what my stock lens will offer. I'm chiefly interested in making my wedding videos more cinematic, and I understand the 35mm adapters are bulky and somewhat difficult to shoot with- not what a videographer with a big camera wants to hear! I'm looking for an alternative that won't cost me as much as my camera did. Any suggestions welcome =)
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Glavan View Post
I'm less concerned with wide angle shots as I usually don't need anything wider than what my stock lens will offer. I'm chiefly interested in making my wedding videos more cinematic, and I understand the 35mm adapters are bulky and somewhat difficult to shoot with- not what a videographer with a big camera wants to hear! I'm looking for an alternative that won't cost me as much as my camera did. Any suggestions welcome =)
I think all of the adapters you lose 2 stops on an already dark camera. I would just shoot 24p, 1/48th, and have the detail set to MIN or at least -7. OFF really is OFF, so if you are still getting video buzzing/venitian blinds then more the detail to MIN or even OFF. You can always bring back the edge enhancement later with a filter in your NLE. The other thing to do is shoot close to the subject at 45mm setting, have the aperature around f2.8 to f4 and try to throw the background out of focus if you can. Other than that, maybe a 17x or 13x used lens some day, and most importantly work on composition and exposure and find a color profile you like to shoot/edit/color correct with and call it good.

It's not a Varicam or even a HPX-500. (though with the better lenses such as the 17x or 13x or 18x it will give the HPX-500 a serious run for it's money. Of course the HPX-500 and Varicams can upgrade their glass from the stock cheap lenses as well.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems