HD100 blown firewire port - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 1st, 2009, 10:45 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tup Wright View Post
... and I so I bought a $25 port isolator and a separate HDV deck.
Hey, where did you get the port isolator? I'm trying to find one for my HD110. I already blew the firewire, fixed it, and I really don't want that to happen again. Please let me know.
I've tried other links people posted but they were dead-ends.

Thanks!
Ben Garvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:51 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tup Wright View Post
I think JVC should fix this for free. This is a design flaw that affects all the camcorders with the 6-pin firewire. They should fix it for free and remove the two pins on the port that send/recieve power. I hope to get 5 years out of my camera, I'm two years out of warranty now and I so I bought a $25 port isolator and a separate HDV deck.
These cameras were full of design flaws. It's the same story with original tape mechanism, which was notorious for braking down.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:33 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Garvey View Post
Hey, where did you get the port isolator?

Thanks!

Look in this post, firewiredepot.com I think you can find them cheaper elswhere.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-gy-hd...-firewire.html
Tup Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:48 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Firewire Port Isolator Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Garvey View Post
Hey, where did you get the port isolator? I'm trying to find one for my HD110. I already blew the firewire, fixed it, and I really don't want that to happen again. Please let me know.
I've tried other links people posted but they were dead-ends.

Thanks!
Ben,

I have 2 HD100s and invested in a couple of firewire port isolators as per Tim Dashwood's suggestion several years ago and thankfully, I have had no problems with my cameras. I went tapeless 2 yrs ago, capturing directly into my DR-100 units, and I simply leave my port isloator cables attached to the cameras ALL THE TIME so that I never forget to use them. And of course, as you already know, ALWAYS power off both camera and HD/computer/dect before attaching or detaching the cables.

Here's where I got my cables. You can even have them custom designed to various lengths with right-angled connectors for an addtional fee. Just make sure you carefully consider which angle/direction you really need before ordering if you decide to go that way.

FireWire Port Isolator - 6pin - 6 inch

Cheers,

Michael Lafleur
Michael Lafleur is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems