60p explanation needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 7th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #1
Major Player

60p explanation needed

i saw on non working model of jvc hdv camera (just access to menus, diffrent setups and "shooting" without possibility to record anything on tape) that there is an option called 60p.

the guy who organised show was not able to explain me was this 60 FRAMES PER SECOND option - like in panasonic's varicam,

or

this is just a NAME for something absolutelly different. (what?)

maybe someone can explain me what is going on with this 60p - in this very case - jvc hdv.

thank you,

filip
Old July 7th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

It is 60p, but the camera cannot record it. It can only be used for live output via the analog component connections.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

480/60p can be recorded to tape also.

Don
Don Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:07 AM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

Don's correct, I should have clarified that.

The camera can record 480/24p, 480/60i, and 480/60p. In HD mode it can record 720/24p and 720/30p. It can be set to 720/60p mode as a live camera head, but cannot record 720/60p.
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:35 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm assuming you will be able to record 720p60 straight to the GR-HD100 80FB hard disk drive.
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferdinand
I'm assuming you will be able to record 720p60 straight to the GR-HD100 80FB hard disk drive.
That would be sweet but the standard 720p60 output is analog so you need a device to convert it to a digital data stream before you would be able to save it to a hard drive.

There are a couple threads geenerally on this topic. Here's one http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=44172

Don
Don Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:48 PM   #7
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferdinand
Not possible. The drive only records what the firewire is outputting, and 60p cannot be output through the firewire. It's an MPEG compression thing. 60p is only available on the analog outputs, not through the firewire and not on the tape.
Old July 10th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
... The drive only records what the firewire is outputting, and 60p cannot be output through the firewire. It's an MPEG compression thing. 60p is only available on the analog outputs, not through the firewire and not on the tape.
guys, thanks for your info. i just thought that this mode is also available for recording. so - new question arises: - how to record this to tape?

1. doest this means that camera is sending 60 FRAMES PER SECOND, but you must find a way to record it on something like real HD recorder cappable to record this (panasonic recorder with 60p possibility)?

2. ...or to something unknown to me, like specific hard disc recorder? with specific software on it.

3. and of course - why is this at all mentioned if it's not possible to record? if you see it on the monitor with analog inputs ( and the camera is set to be in this 60p mode which means it's 60 FRAMES PER SECOND)we will see just real time - no slomo etc. so, what is the reason for this?

thank you,

filip
Old July 10th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #9
Trustee

As stated you need an component analog out to digital convertor. (Check Don's link for some brands.) Typically you then capture this stream onto a PC, then edit and output as you would any video.
I think where you are getting confussed is the simple fact that the 720p60 mode is uncompressed and does not record onto the cam's tape. All other modes including the 480p60 are HDV compressed and record onto the cam's tape.
As a note, you need one hell-of-a RAID setup to capture 720p60 uncompressed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems