Change 1394 switch? (JVC HD 100) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 26th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Change 1394 switch? (JVC HD 100)

So I just received a used HD 100 today, I went out shot some footage, returned to capture and to my dismay when I went to capture the camera continually blinks "Change 1394 switch". I shot in HDV 720 24p and I am capturing in Vegas pro 9. My PC recognizes the camera but Vegas does not and will not capture. Is this an indication of a blown out firewire port or is their something I'm doing wrong? This is my first tape camcorder so I'm a novice at the whole capturing side of things.
Dan Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

if you shot in hi def mode, make sure your firewire switch is on the hdv mode, and visa versa if you shot it in SD...its near the back of the camera, right side.
John Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

power down the camera and on the back is a switch marked DV /HDV.
bet your switch is in DV mode.

did I mention power down the camera
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Wow, well that did the trick. Not sure how I overlooked that. Guess I need to go print out a copy of the manual and read up... Thanks guys!
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yup, As lame as the manual is....

LOL, !
The manual is extraordinarily lame for this camera. But, as they say, (just read the Fckn thing)
Anyway ...cheers on the camera. Check out the "sticky" posts at the top of this forum.
You will find amazingly valuable info that will save you an enormous amount of time towards great images thanks to some extremely generous contributors...(Tim and Paulo are not to be missed)!
Enjoy and make some great images!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:34 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Since you're a new owner, and if no one has told you yet, make sure you have your computer and cam powered down when connecting the firewire, esp if you use Mac. I use one of the little $8 firewire de-energizers. Blow that firewire board and you're sunk.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Since you're a new owner, and if no one has told you yet, make sure you have your computer and cam powered down when connecting the firewire, esp if you use Mac. I use one of the little $8 firewire de-energizers. Blow that firewire board and you're sunk.

Where do you buy those?
Corey Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Caution with the firewire connection and HDV switch cannot be emphasized enough! Blow it and you are in for a pricey fix not to mention the time out without the camera.
I got what was called a port isolator, (short connector that kills the bus power transfer in the firewire), I believe from firewire depot.com, not sure. But, there are posts on the forum about this exact thing. Try doing a search for firewire or port isolator...etc.
Also see this: FireWire Port Isolator - 6pin - 6 inch
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the heads up I've been sure to power everything down before connecting but it seems like a port isolator would be a good investment. My PC has a 4 pin connection and I'm using a 4 to 6 pin fire-wire cable. I did a quick search but didn't find any results for a 4 pin fire-wire isolator. Would it be practical to use a 6 pin isolator to plug the 4 to 6 pine firewire into and then plug the isolator into the camera? Would that still knock out the bus power?
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Dan,
Yeah, I have a similar setup: Firewire 6pin from camera to a 4 pin laptop. Using On Location for file capture.
The adapter does exist. the main point is that even with the adapter I never power anything up until all connections are made and secured.
Again, I always connect before powering up either the camera or the computer. In a way the adapter is just one more safety reminder. I also have a Post It note on the laptop as a reminder just in case I or someone gets boneheaded.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems