Mode Changing... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 1st, 2006, 10:42 AM   #31
Major Player

Spoke to JVC

Hi Guys,

Well I spoke to JVC today they say it is definately a firmware issue. The tech asked me what my vtr stat was which is 113 he said it should be 114. Now, the camera is going into JVC on Monday morning for a same day firmware upgrade. The problem is 114 is the firmware version that many others have but are still having the problem. I do believe it is a firmware issue but I feel it may not be as simple as the JVC tech thinks. I'm posting my version again here. Please remember it is a 101e so that may or may not account for the differences. I'll let everyone know what they find.

sys cpu c1590 v0119
cam cpu c1591 v0108
vtr cpu c1594 v0113
enc cpu 4187 v0105

package c1615 v0109
fpga2 c1595 v0109
fpga3 c1596 v0101
fpga4 c1597 v0104

Regards Greg
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:58 AM   #32
Major Player

Well, my VTR version is 114 and still I had the same problem. On HD100U, mind you. The challenge will be that when your camera is back, it may function fine (just as mine does now) and this 'mode-changing-video-gone' can rear its ugly head 200 tapes later. Who the hell knows. I really wish that JVC was more up front with us as a group. This dealing one-on-one is nice but then the rest of us always wonder whether we need to worry about our camera or not. It's us who are trying to figure out what is the most recent firmware version. I think it should be JVC posting that info on their site and/or emailing it to registered users whether they have problems or not. And it would be also good to know what they are doing about these issues.

I know, I'll just keep dreaming... none of those big guys will ever do that...
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:56 PM   #33
Major Player

My sentiments exactly Jiri. There seems to be many different versions none of which seem to give a difinitive answer as to A) what causes it and B) what fixes it. However, Tim's version does seem markedly different to most of the others and he says he has had no experience of the 'mode changing' whatsoever. Maybe this is something? I'm going to try and get as much out of the techs at JVC on Monday so I'll report back with any discoveries.

Greg
Old March 1st, 2006, 02:38 PM   #34
Major Player

It seems that the VTR is the only firmware they update. That's the one I loaded into my camera. I've got it here on my PC.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 02:43 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Mines going back too.

My rep spoke with JVC and found out that it's definitly a software issue. Apparently they were re-writing some things in order to improve the SSE issue. In doing so the created this "MODE CHANGING" monster.

I lost everything from a shoot I had yesterday. Everyone was crowded around the monitor talking about how awesome the camera was looking, then when we wrapped, talent goes home etc. I hook it up to the G-5 and up pops the "MODE CHANGING' blue screen monster. Yep, lost it all. We are re-shooting today. Anyway after all the drama, the camera is going to JVC's bench first thing tomorrow for a promised quick turn around firmware update.
Council Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:01 PM   #36
Trustee

Council,
Please let us know what firmware version they upgrade your camera to.

Thanks,
Steve
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:09 PM   #37
Major Player

Yes please, keep us informed. I rather deal with a bad SSE firmware until the Mode changing is solved. At least I will have footage.
I hook up currently like today the HDVrack were I can, but for handheld shoots I can't. And the FireStore HD is an too expensive bug-fix for me to make sure I have all my footage.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:29 PM   #38
Major Player

I just can't understand why mode changing apears when there is only one mode recorded on tape. Did you guys tried to play the tapes on other player? Before I made the update, my VTR firmware was V0113 and that never happened to me. If it's a firmware issue why does it happen to some cameras and to others doesn't?
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:53 PM   #39
Trustee

I see the "mode changing" when I first start to play a tape, but it always plays back without an issue -- so far, that is.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:07 PM   #40
Major Player

Diogo, it's obviously a random bug -- that's why it happens on some cameras and only sometimes. Let's make sure that we share anything that comes from JVC and compare notes on the current firmware version.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:06 AM   #41
Major Player

JVC knows about the problem and will have a fix soon.

Hi All,

Good news!
I just received an email back from my JVC dealer.
They are aware of the problem and know how to solve it now.
It will require a firmware upgrade and a hardware modification kit.
It will be available soon. The Belgian service department expects to receive this kit any week now.

Marc
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:56 AM   #42
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont
Hi All,

Good news!
I just received an email back from my JVC dealer.
They are aware of the problem and know how to solve it now.
It will require a firmware upgrade and a hardware modification kit.
It will be available soon. The Belgian service department expects to receive this kit any week now.

Marc
That's great news Marc.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:27 PM   #43
Major Player

Thanks Marc,

I'm going to take my unit in on Monday anyhow see if I can get some additional info but it doesn't sound like I'm going to get a complete fix. I might ask them to take a quick look at your post and see what there response is.

Greg.

P.S. Tim I've still got that firestore file you wanted. I e-mailed you a while back but maybe you never got it? Unfortunately I had to send the unit back as it was splitting files so they are taking a look at it. However, I still have the file I did for you which should still serve the purpose you wanted it for. If you read this maybe you could let me know either way? Cheers Greg.
Old March 4th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #44
Tourist

So Far... So Good...

I opened the my shiny new GY-HD100U yesterday...
Shot 20 minutes worth of test footage last night...

The SSE was no problem at all.
The lens CA was no problem at all.

What really got me was when I lost all but the first 3 minutes of my footage due to the now infamous "Mode Changing" / Blue Screen of Death.

I ran a head cleaner, changed tape brands, Panasonic DV Master, then I tried a straight Panasonic Mini DV, then switched to TDK Mini DV...same problem occurred on all tapes. After tinkering with virtually no luck with the settings, I can safely say that I am now the proud owner of a $5,200.00 door stop.

In the end if it is a JVC firmware upgrade that is required or not, I don't know, and at this point I don't care. The camera will be on the first flight back to B&H Monday...

Good luck!

Last edited by Wade Stai; March 4th, 2006 at 06:55 PM.
Wade Stai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #45
Major Player

Are you saying that the problem happened on all those tapes? Did the camera record ANYTHING beyond the 3 minutes on the first tape? Did the same problem happen on all tapes (like a few minutes are there, the rest is gone?). I believe that it would be helpful to know more details of your case. I am not saying that you shouldn't send it back - go ahead, send it! But for the rest of us and hopefully JVC (I hope you are listening?) it could be of help... And BTW, are you getting another unit or a different camera altogether?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems