Mode Changing... - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:37 PM   #76
Regular Crew

return camera

John,
The same thing happened to me. JVC is aware there is a batch of cameras with this problem. After the first time I got screwed by the blue screen of death i sent the camera off to JVC for repair (firmware upgrade to "A" version). It came back and worked on one shoot, then the very next day it happened again. I called my JVC contact and they replaced the camera with no hesitation. Now the camera I have works every time I pull the trigger. So I suggest you return the camera now and get the head ache over with, then get you new camera and start taking some awesome pictures. Again JVC was very helpful and they stood behind their product without question.
Council Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:34 PM   #77
Major Player

I wouldn't mind if one of our JVC guys here could shine some light on the problem. I had it and for any shooter it's very scary and unnerving. Hence, I would like to hear from someone in JVC whether the "A" upgrade specifically dealt with it and if not, what needs to happen to the camera to be reliable 100% (in regard to the "mode changing" issue).
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:27 PM   #78
Regular Crew

I've seen the mode changing message on my camera with an initial blue screen for a few seconds while the camera detects what mode it's in but then it plays the footage back without issue. I've finally had the time to drive my camera over to JVC for the "A" upgrade so I'll report my findings when I get it back.
Tim Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:19 AM   #79
Trustee

Much bigger problem than SSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
I wouldn't mind if one of our JVC guys here could shine some light on the problem. I had it and for any shooter it's very scary and unnerving. Hence, I would like to hear from someone in JVC whether the "A" upgrade specifically dealt with it and if not, what needs to happen to the camera to be reliable 100% (in regard to the "mode changing" issue).

You said it Jiri - the SSE problem doesn't scare me anywhere near as much as this does. Went out to shoot a trailer for my upcomming movie this past weekend and BAM, a frozen frame recorded for several minutes, with apparently all the footage I shot up to that point gone.

I'm still not sure if it's really gone, or if the camera just can't 'see' it on the tape - but I'm pretty sure the footage is dead. This, of course, is far worse the SSE, because w/ that problem you could, with effort, color correct the two sides. Here, the footage is just gone.

This is a very upsetting development. As I mentioned above, I really don't want to have to ship out a brand new camera just so it will record to tape - you'd think that be the one thing the camera could do no matter what.

The cost, time, and fact that the problem might still remain are big, big negatives. I too would like a response about this problem - because, really, why send in camera if the "A" fix doesn't fix the problem?

Perhaps it does - but it does not indicate so on the JVC website.

I'm supposed to start shooting my film in 2 weeks. Do I risk shooting, or send it in? What a bummer, huh?

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:52 AM   #80
JVC America

Hi John and Jiri,

The blue screen issue is very intermittant, and only appears in some cameras. The "A" upgrade addresses this, so please don't hesitate to get your cameras upgraded.

As a precaution, you can use the "return video" button on the lens after each shot to verifiy that the video was recorded. You will then know right away if the video is there or not.

Regards, Carl
Carl Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:23 AM   #81
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent
Here's the thing - I've this problem and I've barely shot an hour's worth of footage to tape - And I should use head cleaner twice already? Everything I know about using head cleaners told me that they were a thing to be used in moderation. I wouldn't want to be using a $20 3 use head cleaner after every 60 minutes of use.

John,

You can read many other threads on this board specific to other cameras that advise running a head cleaner tape through the camera when you first get it before doing any actual recording. Many cameras have put up a 'heads dirty' error within the first hour of usage. It's believed that running the cleaner tape first will remove any remnants of whatever tape was used for QC checkout at the factory before you pop your own brand in there and start recording. My own Panasonic 953 did this to me about 1/2 way into the second tape. I ran a head cleaner and have never had a problem since.

So, what I am saying is that you wouldn't be running a cleaner every 60 minutes, but doing that initial cleaning on a brand new camera seems to be a good idea. Sort of like doing that first early oil change on a new car. That's probably the most important oil change for the life of the engine because there will be small metal particles, etc. deposited as the engine goes through its break-in cycle.

regards,

-gb-

p.s. Wanted to thank Carl Hicks and JVC for being so customer responsive wrt the HD-100.
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:57 AM   #82
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
Hi John and Jiri,

The blue screen issue is very intermittant, and only appears in some cameras. The "A" upgrade addresses this, so please don't hesitate to get your cameras upgraded.

As a precaution, you can use the "return video" button on the lens after each shot to verifiy that the video was recorded. You will then know right away if the video is there or not.

Regards, Carl
Thank you Carl, my camera has been updated already and I haven't experienced it since. It sure is good to know that the upgrade addressed that, though. I also had a faint SSE which was recalibrated and I haven't seen that since either (cross fingers).

Last edited by Jiri Bakala; May 3rd, 2006 at 04:37 PM.
Jiri Bakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:44 PM   #83
Trustee

Big ups to Carl and JVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks
Hi John and Jiri,

Regards, Carl

Thank you Carl for your kind attention to our concerns. While being upset, I give you and JVC big ups for addressing the problem. Your post has helped to calm an already stressed out film maker. I will send in the camera and let everyone know what the results are.

Actually, I'm kind of shocked by the help JVC is willing to show to the 'little guy'. The big electronic corporations aren't exactly renowned for this sort of attention.

Still love the camera, and more and more I am proud to call myself a JVC customer. Thanks again Carl.

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems