HD100 Series Scene File Recipes & Downloadable .SCN files - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 25th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #46
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Actually, it's more like I bought the wrong 256MB flash card for the Rebel, and discovered it will fit into the HD100. Just trying to find a use for it ;)
A good solution is to have daytime oriented scene files on a card and night time oriented scene files on another.

This is one of the items on the wishlist that got overlooked (badly). 4 scene files is not much, is it?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #47
Capt. Quirk

4 scenes is plenty, if'n you're still trying to figure out how to use them.
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #48
New Boot

Are these recipes just for tv purposes or will it work on the big screen as well?

Are there any considerations/modifications to be made in the recipes if the final objective is a 35mm print?

Thanks for all help.
Jun Sakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #49
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun Sakuma
Are these recipes just for tv purposes or will it work on the big screen as well?

Are there any considerations/modifications to be made in the recipes if the final objective is a 35mm print?

Thanks for all help.
It really depends if you will have the means to perform a D.I. (Digital Intermediate) or if you will be dependent on strictly optical/chemical lab post processes. If you will not be performing any D.I., then there are considerations with the level of black stretch used to cope with the limitations of 8-bit sampling and choice of exposure index to balance highlight control and desired shadow detail.
There are two schools of thought: "Get it as close as possible in-camera" or "aquire as much information as possible and colour-correct later."
The detail level should also be set very low or at min.
We've discussed these things many times before. Try a search for posts by Andrew Young or myself with the keyword "filmout" or "detail."
Old July 26th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #50
New Boot

I will. Thanks a lot, Tim.
Jun Sakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #51
Capt. Quirk

Ok, I did the search for a film noir type setting, and just kept getting referred to this thread. Any noir scenes yet?
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #52
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Ok, I did the search for a film noir type setting, and just kept getting referred to this thread. Any noir scenes yet?
If you read the very post in this thread you will see all of the scene files listed, including the film noir setting I created.

You can directly download the zipped scene file or look at a pdf with the recipe.
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #53
Capt. Quirk

So... Yes, I was missing it? Thanks, as always, Tim.
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #54
Capt. Quirk

Where did you get those nifty color charts to go with your PDF?
Old August 18th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #55
Trustee

Please Add this thread to the top of the heap.

Click here for Brite_OD thread.

Also I've uploaded the scene file "how to" load on SD card tut to Chris' server. Can you please update the original post to reflect it's new location?

Thanks a bunch.

S.Noe
Old September 4th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
We've been getting some interesting scene file contributions lately, so I though it would be best to keep track of them here in one sticky. If you have a scene file to contribute, please start a new thread, give it a unique name that describes its look or purpose, and explain its use. I will then add it to this top post.

There are two ways to put a scene file on the HD100/101:
  1. The slowest method is to manually program in the settings provided in a scene file "recipe" and then store the file on your camera internally or to the SD card.
  2. Sometimes users will provide a link to a .SCN file that can be loaded on to your SD card.
    To load a .SCN file onto your SD card you will need a 3rd party SD card reader (or a SD digital camera in MASS MEDIA mode may work.)
    The HD100 will only recognize 4 files on a SD card, no matter how big the card is.
    The four available file names are EXT1.SCN,EXT2.SCN,EXT3.SCN or EXT4.SCN
    Therefore you must rename any downloaded SCN files to one of those four names before copying the file over to your SD card (a simple drag and drop on Mac and Windows XP.) Then just put the SD card back in your camera and load the EXTERNAL files 1 through 4.
    Stephen Noe has prepared a WMV explaining the process.

WARNING: HD100 .SCN scene files CONTAIN ALL MENU SETTINGS and WHITE BALANCE A & B memory settings at the time it was saved. Therefore you may have to change your frame rate, re-white balance, and modify other settings to your liking after you have loaded another user's .SCN file.
Hey Tim,

The link to the WMV does not work. Is there any other way of getting a detailed explanation on how to load and re-name scene files for download to a card?

Thanks,

Carl
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #57
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin
Hey Tim,

The link to the WMV does not work. Is there any other way of getting a detailed explanation on how to load and re-name scene files for download to a card?

Thanks,

Carl
"How to" load a scene file with a card reader WMV
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #58
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin
Hey Tim,
I thought what I wrote before was about as detailed as it could get. It is actually quite a simple two step process. Rename the downloaded SCN file and drag it onto the SD card. That's it.
Old September 5th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I thought what I wrote before was about as detailed as it could get. It is actually quite a simple two step process. Rename the downloaded SCN file and drag it onto the SD card. That's it.
Oh, ok, thanks.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #60
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Thank you.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems