New musicvideo shot on HD101 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 28th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroush Shahrokni
Regarding the colours, I was after something between Machinist/Se7en look and was thus very shy on using too much colours. I also used the CC settings on this video as a testing ground for my feature film bc that film will contain the same kind of locations (suburbs) as those shot in this video.
No, I liked it! Like with my short film recently you will get a million different opinions. I thought it was nicely done and I am a pretty hard critic to please =) The colors are similar to what I want on my next flick. The filmvert (Matrix) At least to my eyes, which may be going blind =)

OH YEAH, I forgot. Did you crop it to get wide scope? Or what process did you use for the 2:35.1 effect?
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #17
Major Player

I would just to say... I LOVE THE 2:35:1 CROP, always looks great, I wish more people did it, I have been using it for a long time and continue to do so. Im glad to see others are doing it as well.
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:27 AM   #18
Major Player

Great job! I tend to kill a low budget clip after 5-10 seconds of reviewing it, but I watched that one all the way through, and liked it.

I also like the look of the 2:35:1 crop.

Congrats, good work with the HD100!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
If someone can host it, then for sure!
I can do that for you, no problem.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Good stuff
Old June 29th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Soroush jan:

Man, I think you did a _really_ good job on this video. I won't even say "considering it's a low budget project", because you made it look superior to that. The CC looked just right to me, it gives the video the right atmosphere, cold and urban feeling. I didn't think it looked liked Lebanon, but then again, I could recognize the Scandinavian sorroundings. Not that it's a bad thing, I think the video is more credable, I believe the story more. Concerning the actors, they did a pretty good job too. Nice job of handheld versus tripod shooting. OTS worked good too.

I loved the Beemer:) and how you edited the sequence when the guy pulled the gun on them and killing the couple, both going down at the same time, died together. Also small details, like the sign from the start saying: "do not enter", the kids reflection in the mirror, and how you pulled off the whole crime scene with the undercover cop, press and crowd. Not to mention "vi kommer at sakna deg" (We'll miss you) graphitti. Maybe you could hold the that graphitti-shot longer? Nice touch in sync with the music when the couple hugs after the guy had the argument, the piano/graphitti, also syncing when they get shot.

A couple of times, the highlights were blown out, was that on purpose?

I'm usually sceptic on use of dissolves, specially when there are movement in the fading footage. In my mind, some of the dissolves where a few frames too long, alowing some movement/jerking in the fading footage. (one example: the dissolve at about 1:53)

Now some questions:)
On location: Did you use any lighting? Reflectors? Why the cinewide and not TC3?
Post: Are you using a PC, and if yes, what were your procedure on capturing the footage from tape onto the PC? What codecs?
Also, did you add grain to the images in post? Also looks like you put a mask filter darkening the edges at the beginning?
When shooting 24p, are you sticking to 24p when going back to tape for broadcast?

Great stuff!

- Nima
Nima Taheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #22
Regular Crew

using 24p, did you have to manipulate the speed on the cd, or is it the original speed of the cd you used to lip sync?
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
The colors are similar to what I want on my next flick. The filmvert (Matrix) At least to my eyes, which may be going blind =)

OH YEAH, I forgot. Did you crop it to get wide scope? Or what process did you use for the 2:35.1 effect?
Thats cool Brian, I love cold and dark CC. Im going to try the filmvert and other settings posted on this forum.

I always "clip" the footage to get the 2:35.1 effect. I do that in Adobe Premiere or in After Effects. Good luck with your next flick. I just finished watching your shortfilm and I liked it. The camera added with a Mini35 is really something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese
I would just to say... I LOVE THE 2:35:1 CROP, always looks great, I wish more people did it, I have been using it for a long time and continue to do so. Im glad to see others are doing it as well.
Giuseppe, ouf of all the projects I have done only two or three of them where in 4:3 or 16:9, the rest have all been with the 2:35.1 crop. I love Cinemascope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima Taheri
I loved the Beemer:) and how you edited the sequence when the guy pulled the gun on them and killing the couple, both going down at the same time, died together. Also small details, like the sign from the start saying: "do not enter", the kids reflection in the mirror, and how you pulled off the whole crime scene with the undercover cop, press and crowd. Not to mention "vi kommer at sakna deg" (We'll miss you) graphitti. Maybe you could hold the that graphitti-shot longer? Nice touch in sync with the music when the couple hugs after the guy had the argument, the piano/graphitti, also syncing when they get shot.

A couple of times, the highlights were blown out, was that on purpose?

I'm usually sceptic on use of dissolves, specially when there are movement in the fading footage. In my mind, some of the dissolves where a few frames too long, alowing some movement/jerking in the fading footage. (one example: the dissolve at about 1:53)

Now some questions:)
On location: Did you use any lighting? Reflectors? Why the cinewide and not TC3?
Post: Are you using a PC, and if yes, what were your procedure on capturing the footage from tape onto the PC? What codecs?
Also, did you add grain to the images in post? Also looks like you put a mask filter darkening the edges at the beginning?
When shooting 24p, are you sticking to 24p when going back to tape for broadcast?

Great stuff!

- Nima
Good observations Nima jan. I always try to synch the video to the actual music when I do videos. When I listened to this song I came up with the story according to the music and its sounds effects.

The highlights where not blown out by purpouse though. Cheap CC and little time was the reason! ;)

I didnt use any lighting or reflectors on set, pure run & gun. The reason I chose "cinewide" was that I felt comfortable with it and I knew what I could do with the raw flat footage in post using that setting. Im going to try out "TC3" setting now and do some tests, I had to little time to do so before this shoot and thus went with a tested formula of "cinewide".

I didnt add any grain, could be compression artifacts when converting to DivX. On the other hand I put a mask filter darkening the edges, I like the look.

I also stick to 24p throughout the production using Cineforms Aspect HD (you can get the 15-day tryout), I export the video to DVD as progressive 24p...looks great!
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
I also stick to 24p throughout the production using Cineforms Aspect HD (you can get the 15-day tryout), I export the video to DVD as progressive 24p...looks great!
What about export to f.ex DigiBeta tapes for TV broadcast?
Nima Taheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima Taheri
What about export to f.ex DigiBeta tapes for TV broadcast?
Nima jan, I actually dont know about that, the client wanted the video on DVD.
Old June 29th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #26
Regular Crew

using 24p, did you have to manipulate the speed on the cd, or is it the original speed of the cd you used to lip sync?
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Rodriguez
You dont have to manipulate the speed on the cd at all just bc you are shooting 24p. If you shoot/edit and using the same framerate then you wont have any problems with sync. If you shoot 24p and try to sync it in a 25p timeline then you will have problems!
Old June 29th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #28
Regular Crew

thanks Soroush, again that is some good stuff
Old June 30th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Soroush all I can say is 'You get it.' I didn't understand a single word of the singer, but visually I got the story (the sign of someone who understands the medium). Outstanding dude. You shame the overpriced big budget productions.

Congrats on a great music video.
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:40 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Thx alot guys!
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems