Overcranked Slow-motion samples from HD200/250 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 13th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #31
New Boot

Slowmo with Aspect HD and PP2

I was trying to make a slowmo-clip based on the description in the beginning of this thread, but then discovered it was for Mac users only, since there is no Cinema Tools for PC.

But I captured some 720/50p footage with Aspect HD from my HD201, put it in the Premiere Pro 2 timeline and set the framerate to 25p.

It plays back in slowmo and looks really good. But is this just about the same procedure and end-result as described in the beginning of this thread, just for PC? Will it give me the same quality slowmo as with Quicktime and Cinema Tools?
Alexander Kristiansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #32
Regular Crew

So I've got a strange issue with this. It's really got me stumped.

I shot a whole bunch of scenes on my GY-HD100 in SD 60p with the intent of slowing it all down using this method.

Everything, captures nicely into V-DVHS and looks good when loading into Mpeg Streamclip.

However, on the output of Mpeg Streamclip, everything is just a solid green screen. I know I've done this before, so I tried to figure out what it was that i was doing wrong. It seems that the ONLY way that I can get it to work is by using the upscaling feature. If I try to leave it at native resolution it fails every time. I'd prefer not to have to scale this back down in edit, but at least it's going to work!

Just thought I'd post a warning to anyone who's in the same situation.
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #33
New Boot

I'm just curious. In jpg 1 Why did you choose 720p (unscaled) when there was a HD 720p setting?

It looks great, I'm just asking.
Robert Thomas Baumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Dead Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kramer View Post
Here is a test I did with my new 200!

Originally shot at 60p with the iris fully open and a 100/shutter. I've used aspect HD with Premiere so they are not native HDV files and then compressed to sorenson video 3 for web.

http://www.andrewkramer.net/60pat24fps.mov
This is 60p slowed to 24 frames per second.
47MBs

http://www.andrewkramer.net/30ptest.mov
This is 60p at 30p in real time. (no slow motion)
19MBs

Process:
1. Filmed at 60p with shutter at 1/100 with aperature all the way open
2. (with aspect HD installed) created a new 60P project from the 24p 720p cineform preset and simply changed the frame rate to 60. I'm not sure if this is nenessary but I didn't see an option for 60p at 720p resolution.
3. Opened in After Effects and interpreted the footage as 24p and put on a 24p timeline.

Thought I would share.
Both of these links are dead.
Point Zero Pictures
http://www.pointzeropictures.com
Miklos Philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #35
Major Player

Now (er soon) the new FCP will incorporate Shake's wonderful Flow technology. Combining Flow interpolation with camera overcranking should allow you to get about as slow as your most "filmic" situations would call for.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #36
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore View Post
Now (er soon) the new FCP will incorporate Shake's wonderful Flow technology. Combining Flow interpolation with camera overcranking should allow you to get about as slow as your most "filmic" situations would call for.
I actually played with it at the JVC booth. They had my Sundance 720P60 test footage loaded into FCP6 (with 720P60 support.)
It is pretty cool, but you still have to "send" the clip to motion and apply re-timing. Optical Flow doesn't seem to literally be in the FCP app itself.
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #37
Major Player

Well, that would be a little disappointing. I know that Smooth Motion is now a plug-in. I could have swore that re-timing could now be done right on the FCP timeline as well, and that behind-the-scenes it will be using the Flow technology.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #38
Major Player

Tim or others,

I tried to capture a 60P clip from my DR-100 into HDVXDV but for some reason it keeps capturing it as a 2 second clip, even though its like a minute. I open HDVXDV and then find the clip on the Firestore DR100 and hit open. It does open it and it does play the full clip, but when trying to export it it only exports as a 2 second clip, not the full clip. What settings do I need to use?
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #39
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke View Post
Tim or others,

I tried to capture a 60P clip from my DR-100 into HDVXDV but for some reason it keeps capturing it as a 2 second clip, even though its like a minute. I open HDVXDV and then find the clip on the Firestore DR100 and hit open. It does open it and it does play the full clip, but when trying to export it it only exports as a 2 second clip, not the full clip. What settings do I need to use?
If it is on the DR-HD100 then you don't need HDVxDV. Simply plug the DR-HD100 into your mac as a hard drive and open the m2t file with MPEGStreamclip. Convert it to quicktime (AIC, uncompressed, photo-jepg 75%, etc.) without changing the frame rate (don't enter anything in the frame rate box.)
Then use Cinema Tools to conform the new quicktime clip to 23.98fps.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
If it is on the DR-HD100 then you don't need HDVxDV. Simply plug the DR-HD100 into your mac as a hard drive and open the m2t file with MPEGStreamclip. Convert it to quicktime (AIC, uncompressed, photo-jepg 75%, etc.) without changing the frame rate (don't enter anything in the frame rate box.)
Then use Cinema Tools to conform the new quicktime clip to 23.98fps.
Thanks Tim. I may sound stupid, but is "MPEGStreamclip" a program, or is it part of FCP?
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #41
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
Thanks Tim. I may sound stupid, but is "MPEGStreamclip" a program, or is it part of FCP?
It is the best piece of freeware ever made. Download version 1.8 at http://www.squared5.com
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
It is the best piece of freeware ever made. Download version 1.8 at http://www.squared5.com
Thnaks Tim. Got it =) Works great.

Here is something I did REALLY quickly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn27ftMCACQ
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #43
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke View Post
Thnaks Tim. Got it =) Works great.

Here is something I did REALLY quickly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn27ftMCACQ
It's looking great.

You've probably already figured this out, but just incase:
If you want to ramp from real-speed to slow-motion like that, then convert your whole clip at 60P and conform it all to 23.98fps. the relationship between 24P and 60P is 250% speed (or 40% slower.)

Therefore, to run the clip at "real-time" just speed it up 250% and then slow it back down to 100% to play in slow motion.

Does that make any sense? It seems confusing now that I'm re-reading it.
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
It's looking great.

You've probably already figured this out, but just incase:
If you want to ramp from real-speed to slow-motion like that, then convert your whole clip at 60P and conform it all to 23.98fps. the relationship between 24P and 60P is 250% speed (or 40% slower.)

Therefore, to run the clip at "real-time" just speed it up 250% and then slow it back down to 100% to play in slow motion.

Does that make any sense? It seems confusing now that I'm re-reading it.
Its funny you say that, cause I sped it up and 250 was the accurate for getting back to normal.
Old July 30th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #45
Regular Crew

When going from 30p to 25p (and have sped up playback during the shoot), can I use Mpeg Streamclip to conform from 30p to 25p, or do I have to go through Cinema Tools to get the conforming done?

Also, if end product in SD (and footage is 720p), I'm not sure what would be best: to downconvert in MpegStreamclip or create a SD timeline in FCP and downconvert there?

Last edited by Nima Taheri; July 30th, 2007 at 04:45 PM.
Nima Taheri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems