A question about audio on Hd101 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 25th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #1
Major Player

A question about audio on Hd101

Hi,
I want to record audio seperately on an upcoming shoot, possibly on a small DAT. If I connect the dat to the line out on the HD101, is the sound going to be as good as connecting it before the camera, i.e. is there any processing going on between the XLR inputs and the line out that may reduce sound quality?
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Major Player

See this thread. Basically, you don't want to loop sound through the camera. Connect your audio source(s) directly to your DAT.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Trustee

I am also interested in this.

Unless I am totally confused, for picture the analog out is the full 60p 4:2:2 stream -- different from the 30p or 24p 4:2:0 video recorded on the HDV tape.

Therefore, similarly, the analog audio out on the camera is doing which of these?
1. It is taking the analog in from the input and just routing it to the analog out, with no conversion. Thus, if you are using the line in (bypassing the cameras preamps) you are getting the identical signal out of the analog out that is coming into the camera.

2. The camera is making an Analog to Digital conversion, then reconverting back from Digital to Analog to output through the analog out to the camera. If this is the case, what are the conversions to and from? (i.e. are they to mp3 and back analog? to wav and back to analog? or what?)

3. Something different.

Here is the reason for such a question:

I have a Sound Devices 302 mixer. It has only two outputs. However, I want to record two tracks in both the camera and in a small external recorder.

If the sound going into the camera is the same analog that is coming out, I can:
1. I run the mics into my mixer
2. Send two analog tracks out of the mixer into the camera.
3. Use the analog outs on the camera to go to a small digital recorder to record 24bit wav files (in addition to the mp3 that is recorded on the HDV tape).

Does this work? Or is the HD100/110 doing something to the audio that will degrade it before is comes out the analog outputs on the camera?
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Jack,
In addition to the 302's main XLR outputs, there is also a TA3 connector that provides an unbalanced stereo output.
Tom Valens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Valens
Jack,
In addition to the 302's main XLR outputs, there is also a TA3 connector that provides an unbalanced stereo output.
Yes, thank you! I do use this output to go into my little MicroTrack recorder. It works perfectly, and I get high quality wav files I can substite on the timeline.

However, I still have the same question regarding the throughput of the HD100/110. Does the audio go straight through from the xlr in's to the analog out's, or is there some processing?

With the 302 there are occasions where the TA3 may be used for two additional wireless inputs.

Or, on other mixers, there is not always the extra output.

By the way, as someone who has struggled with levels into the camera and who has been very disappointed with the noise in "high quality" $600 to $900 mixers, I can not recommend the Sound Devices 302 high enough. Go to their website and there are a couple of reviews from magazines on the 302.

The mixer has 3 xlr inputs and an unbelievable number of other features in an amazingly compact package. Using a mixer like this saves time, makes things much, much easier, gets much better audio, solves lots of stray problems of matching mikes, getting the perfect level, etc. I put it high on the list of reqirements to do quality production. It costs a high $1300 -- when compared to the cheap alternatives -- but it can't be compared to anything else under $3000.

My original problem when I bought this was getting a dynamic handheld level high without noise and matching levels with a line input and a very sensitive shotgun. The mixer eliminated all issues and got me perfect sound and levels into the camera.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Valens
Jack,
Yes, thank you! I do use this output to go into my little MicroTrack recorder. It works perfectly, and I get high quality wav files I can substite on the timeline.

However, I still have the same question regarding the throughput of the HD100/110. Does the audio go straight through from the xlr in's to the analog out's, or is there some processing?

On other mixers, there is not always the extra output.

By the way, as someone who has struggled with levels into the camera and who has been very disappointed with the noise in "high quality" $600 to $900 mixers, I can not recommend the Sound Devices 302 high enough. Go to their website and there are a couple of reviews from magazines on the 302.

The mixer has 3 xlr inputs and an unbelievable number of other features in an amazingly compact package. Using a mixer like this saves time, makes things much, much easier, gets much better audio, solves lots of stray problems of matching mikes, getting the perfect level, etc. I put it high on the list of reqirements to do quality production. It costs a high $1300 -- when compared to the cheap alternatives -- but it can't be compared to anything else under $3000.

My original problem when I bought this was getting a dynamic handheld level high without noise and matching levels with a line input and a very sensitive shotgun. The mixer eliminated all issues and got me perfect sound and levels into the camera.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems