HM100 Production Model In Sight Yet? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old April 29th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #31
Regular Crew

HM-100's now in at Proactive - am picking up tomorrow afternoon :-) Hopefully with extra batt and wide angle adapter. Got a couple of Transcend 16GB cards from Amazon - 28 quid each. Love it.

Cotty
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
GY-HM 100 Low Light Footage on Vimeo

Just got back from Vegas did a quick edit on some of the footage, had about 30min to play with the cam at NAB. The cam feels very solid well built the irs on the back of the cam took some getting use to it dose not roll you have to click it up or down. The Cam preformed well in low light. I think its on par with the canon A1. I will do a more detail write up tomr. on my way to a Video shoot.
Hi Brian.
Thanks for posting, very interesting. Just a thought on the shots titled "Auto Shutter", was it auto shutter or auto iris??. The reason I ask is that the shots marked 1.8 are much darker than the ones in auto, which in a lo light situation would open the iris to 1.8 ie max, so you must be able to get the same exposure in manual or auto. Just wonder what settings you used on the darker shots? (What I am getting at is, the exposure would have probably been at 1.8 in the auto mode, yet when you state 1.8 manual it is much darker?)

Last edited by Colin Rowe; April 30th, 2009 at 03:06 AM.
Colin Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:04 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Picked up my HM100, wide angle adapter lens and spare battery from Proactive yesterday. Very busy couple of days so not had a lot of time with the camera yet.

First impressions are that it seems pretty sturdy. Minor nits are the flip out LCD, seems just a tad flimsy on the hinge, but not worried by it. Also, the viewfinder pull-out section seems to wobble a bit when adjust v/f focus but hey. The rest of the camera appears bullet-proof. Handle is excellent, layouts okay but a bit fiddly with manual iris and whatnot - but I did not buy this camera to fiddle with things like that. I bought it to take to places inaccessible to larger cameras, and I can see that it will do this is buckets. Speaking of fiddly - the SD cards need a bit of persuading at first to get out, and my stubby digits are no good for that!

For my doc I will be running a 416 on the top into track 2 and a radio mic receiver into track 1. Have already decided on building a jig that will take the receiver underneath the camera using my tripod plate. The wide angle works great, takes the angle of view out to about the same as 28mm on a 35mm film or full frame sensor still camera. Would like wider but it's fine. Need to look for a decent lens shade for the wide angle - the standard shade comes off to accommodate it. I have a Vocas on my DSR450 and like it, maybe they do some smaller ones.

The OIS works well - one person on a different thread didn't appear to notice a difference with it on or off. Obviously it works better with the lens zoomed in to a telephoto setting, and having used Canon IS lenses on 1D still DSLRs, it's not quite as good as that, but not far off. Very happy with that. However, I tend to shoot my subjects wide and get in closer. Bit of CA with the adapter on and zoomed through to the end of the bottle, not much.

The focus assist function is great and works well - better than the peaking on my XDCam viewfinder on the 450. I'm manual focus all the way and would not consider AF on a video camera. The focus/zoom ring is fine - easy to get used to with a nice stiffness to it, but useless for the zoom function! The standard rocker is fine for zoom, if a tad slow. The AE seems very good, fast enough to react - this was my only worry as I'm used to an iris ring every time. BUT I didn't buy the camera to mess with buttons, I need good automation in certain areas, while having subjects chat away to me in difficult circumstances/conditions. What with the light weight and excellent audio functions, this camera is a winner for me.

Did I mention the pics off it? I'm blown away. Absolutely brilliant. Nothing to post yet - I don't do tests. When I have something watchable I will link here.

Really excellent bit of kit - highly recommended if you know what to want to use it for.

Cotty
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:05 PM   #34
HDV Cinema

With samples from NAB I've had no problem using both .mov and .mp4 files. Media Composer imports, with a conversion to DNxHD, the .mov files. However, using the Sony XDCAM EX Browser, "converting" .mp4 to .mxf yielded a file with only 1 audio channel (the other one was garbled) and video break-up.

Hoping someone else will try with MC and then report.
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
With samples from NAB I've had no problem using both .mov and .mp4 files. Media Composer imports, with a conversion to DNxHD, the .mov files. However, using the Sony XDCAM EX Browser, "converting" .mp4 to .mxf yielded a file with only 1 audio channel (the other one was garbled) and video break-up.

Hoping someone else will try with MC and then report.
I haven't tried any samples from NAB, but Tim Dashwoods duck and geese clips in mp4 came into Media Composer with all channles with no problem. Of course that's the HM700 not the 100.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-gy-hm...-your-nle.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems