Information on the new JVC GC-PX100 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old January 17th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #46
Space Hipster

Re: Information on the new JVC GC-PX100

How about a 4K version?

JVC 4K Camera for “Under $2,000″ on Display at CES 2014
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 02:49 AM   #47
Contributor

Unfortunately very few of the reviews for this camera look at anything but the high speed modes. I'd be much more interested in how it compares in anti-aliasing, moire and all the standard things that go wrong when downconverting fom high megapixel sensors
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:19 PM   #48
HDV Cinema

I didn't comment on other aspects of the camera's image because they were fine. What killed the camera for me was its push-dark-gray-to-black response.

The PM and I talked about a 4K version -- then suddenly JVC went dark to me. I suspect he wasn't supposed to say anything about 4K in summer 2013. :)

I'm now far more interested in the Sony for multiple reasons. Plan to pre-order one tonight. I came to DVINFO to see if there was a forum for it yet.

However, because it's also a hi-res camera, its OLPF may be set to high for video which is why demo footage aliases so badly. Thus, the JVC could back on my list -- assuming no camera hi-res function.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:37 PM   #49
Contributor

sorry Steve - without going back through the whole thread what Sony are you referring to?
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:59 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell View Post
Unfortunately very few of the reviews for this camera look at anything but the high speed modes. I'd be much more interested in how it compares in anti-aliasing, moire and all the standard things that go wrong when downconverting fom high megapixel sensors

I've ordered the Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle to do some experimenting with this camera. I got the GC-PX100 for the high-speed video but if you had something in particular in mind you would want me to test for you, let me know and I'll try to accomodate any testing you'd like to see. I plan to shoot all modes and frame rates and see if I get anything better out of the external recorder, which should arrive in about a week.

Mark

Last edited by Mark Watson; March 3rd, 2014 at 09:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #51
Major Player

I got this camera some days ago...
Is a nice backup camera for me. I will use it in live events. Works fine with lowlight, outputs both in 1980 and 720, the optical stabiliser is good, etc...I didn't foo deep tests on image quality.. It's quite good for the price and I'm not expecting broadcast results for it... What I expect from this range of cameras is that they are easy to use even in manual mode...

But.. here is WHAT I DON'T LIKE

- I didn't buy it for slow-motion, but I was quite upset to discover that advertised resolution of 640x360 at (max) x250fps is probably a 320x180 "pumped up" at 640x360. 640x360 was already a small res compared to our days but still I was thinking to "pump it up" at PAL/NTSC res with no problems.. but is probably already "pumped up".. so can't do much from here

- The MANUAL FOCUS ring was one of the reasons why I bought it. The problem is that there is a MF button to press every time even if you are in manual mode already. That's not a nice operation to do every time specially if you are use to work in manual mode all the time. I contacted the italian assistance who then contacted the center in Japan and they confirmed that that is how it works, accepted the suggestion, and said they will think at addressing the issue in the future (don't understand if in new firmware or a new model though!). MF button is very useful in AUTO MODE, but in MANUAL MODE you should be not forced to use it!

- The battery. You can't use bigger batteries even if pin-compatibile. This because the battery is located inside the camera, totally inside, so it will never be bigger than the one they give you. And this is a pity if you want to use it as a backup camera in outside events, where no electricity plug is available. Obviously there are other solutions (like external batteries etc..) but you loose the advantages of a small good camera. Also is not so immediate to replace the battery. You need to turn the LCD screen down and then open an extra slot.. not really a fast procedure.. When you finish probably you'll find out you moved the tripod and some settings.

- They sell it with no external battery charger. I knew this before buying it but is not very understandable on every online shop so... just put in budget an extra 20€ for an external charger. I don't think including it in the package would have sent JVC broke !

- As a nice and very all working FOCUS ASSIST but to access it you need to go through the menu on touchscreen LCD... An external button for quick access would have been really appreciated, as well for one for WHITE BALANCE

- Some features work only in MOV mode and some others only in AVCHD mode...This confused me a bit at the beginning and still leaves me to think... why I have to choose between X.V.Color and x250fps ? That's not fair

As you can see I focus on usability. Quality of recorded video (and audio!) is very good for the price and I'm not going to investigate too much on that size. Is a good camera.. just wish they had put just little more attention on usability.
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems