New GY-HM700 Camcorder - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old January 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #31
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
For that matter, who has rights to the lanc interface?
Sony owns it; Canon has the right to use it. JVC and Panasonic have never had LANC, unless I'm mistaken.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #32
Space Hipster

Does anyone know why JVC abandoned Fujinon lenses and went with Canon on the 700?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #33
Obstreperous Rex

I wouldn't say they've "abandoned" Fujinon -- these cameras are freely interchangeable between Canon and Fuji glass, so you can stick whatever lens on that you want. Camera companies usually make deals with lens companies in advance for a particular stock, out of the box configuration... previously JVC went with Fujinon for the GY-HD series, and now they're going with Canon for the HM700 this time around as the lens du jour. The HM100's built-in lens is still a Fujinon though. Ultimately you can have it any way you like, be it Fuji, Canon or whatever... as long as it's a 1/3rd-inch broadcast mount that resolves for 1080 (or 1/2" with an adapter plus the resulting crop factor).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #34
Wrangler

Canon has had lenses specifically for the JVC 1/3" HD cameras (and I suppose the Sony Z7 or Z270) since NAB 2007.

I'm really hoping there is a camera-only configuration available when the HM700 is first released.
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
I wonder if Discovery HD would accept a 1/3" chip cam for main acquisition, even if the bitrate is 35mps. They're pretty strict.
Discovery is airing a lot of material shot with lesser of the equipment. As the example you can see "The Deadliest Catch" and "Iceroad Truckers" and "Everest" As the matter of fact most of Everest was shot in HDV (Canon as I recall), some of the footage from the summit with a single chip pocket camera. Content will go a long way with them, of course don't expect to get paid top $$$ if your footage will require a lot of tweaking by their broadcast engineers. Also a big role plays (as usual) past history of work with such channels. Anyway- content will play a major role anyhow.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
I'm really hoping there is a camera-only configuration available when the HM700 is first released.
Amen to that. If the stock Canon is significantly better than the Fuji 16x5.5, I may buy the kit JUST to have an option to move lenses around, otherwise, I'll just use one of my 16x Fuji's until I settle on whether to do the Fuji 13x wide or spend the big cash on the 18x4.2.
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Do we know what the focal length of the Canon lens will be at widest - details just seem to say "14x"?

Wider than the 5.5mm of the Fujinon standard lens... please!?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #38
Wrangler

We don't know yet. Probably a little bit wider since we've all complained for four years about how 5.5mm isn't really wide enough for EFP/ENG work.
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:30 PM   #39
Major Player

Argh! My favorite prosumer HD(v) camera gets a well deserved update and I'm already too in love with HD DSLRs! Why, oh, why!?

But seriously, this looks great. As far as image quality goes, I've always preferred JVC's cameras over any of the other indie filmmaker choices, with the EX1 and EX3 being the exception as they, in my opinion, succeeded in putting an F900 into the sub-$10,000 arena. JVC also accessorized the heck out of the HD200 series too over time as well. If there is enough of an image quality bump, this could be the camera to beat for a lot of folks. Also, if anyone doubts the significance of this series of cameras getting upgraded to 1080p, please go out and rent or Netflix the action film "Gabriel" and see what the JVC cameras can really do.

As far as some of the concerns about the sensor size staying 1/3", I agree, it would have been nice to have JVC bump to 1/2" sensors but, hey, it's hard to complain with a release date so soon. Also, I'm really looking forward to checking out the handheld JVC camera they announced as well. Bravo, JVC, bravo!
Zack Birlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:28 PM   #40
Inner Circle

I applaud the release of another camera to the marketplace, but at the same time, does the marketplace really need another 1/3" chip camera?

I guess the technical hurdles are too large to make it work financially, but the 1/2" chip size has been left in the dust.

I am sure it will be a nice product, but the price will determine a lot.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:39 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Felis View Post
, please go out and rent or Netflix the action film "Gabriel" and see what the JVC cameras can really do.
the funny part they taped Gabriel only a few weeks after the HD100 was first released and with I believe the stock lens recorded HDV to tape. They had a huge problem editing because Final Cut Pro wasn't HDV compatible yet. The movie still looked good to great with very little prep time on the equipment and workflow etc.

Hmm reminds me, I think someone borrowed that DVD and I can't remember who has it... Hmm...
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:47 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
If you already own a HD250. HD-SDI is required for the Convergent-Design boxes.
The Nano flash also HDMI input I believe so would be OK for the 100/200 series?

Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:51 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
The Nano flash also HDMI input I believe so would be OK for the 100/200 series?
The HD100/200 series don't have HDMI. In fact, none of the JVC HDxxx series cameras have HDMI out. The HD250/251 has HD-SDI out. The HD100/110/200/201 has analog component.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:52 PM   #44
Wrangler

Sean. I clarified your post above to be specific to 'HD" series cameras. The new HM100 has HDMI out but I'm not sure about the HM700 (it does have HD-SDI though.)
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:58 PM   #45
Inner Circle

I suppose that was one bit of short-sightedness from JVC not putting an HD out of some sort on the HD100/200. I remeber when the Canon XL-H1 came out, folks were raving about the HDSDI out more than just about anything else - and with the advent of the likes of the Flash XDR etc., you can really see why now.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems