Master quality Mini DVC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old September 30th, 2003, 12:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Master quality Mini DVC

I came across some panasonic 63 min "Master" quality mini dvc on the B&H web site. My question is what is the difference compaired to the regular mini dvc, and is it a better choice for a wedding.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 12:54 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Panasonic's "MQ' series of tape is their top of the line. You can download a brochure on it from Panasonic's site to see for yourself what Panasonic says about this grade.

We've recently had quite a bit of discussion concerning how it compares to other brands and grades, with no hard conclusions.

In my opinion you should always use the best grade of tape you can afford especially if someone is paying you for your services and materials.

I use PQ and MQ tape interchangeably. If I was under contract for services I would use MQ tape. Will you see a difference in your recording? No. But it would be the professional thing to do, especially if you plan to turn the raw footage tapes over to your client.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 10:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Great info ken. I guess the MQ packaging was what got me. If you dont mind me asking, What brand name do you use/like the most? I guess if the tape is the same, then which one would have the most robust caseing? Thanks again for all the help

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio
Old September 30th, 2003, 11:30 AM   #4

Just to be clear, I'm sure there's a difference between Panasonic's MQ and PQ grades of tape. Whether or not that difference is material to you, commensurate to the price difference, is a question only you'll be able to answer.

I use only Panasonic tape. Others, however, will cite Sony and Fuji as good brands, too. In general it's best to stick with a brand. Be sure to run a cleaning tape through the camera if you do decide to switch brands. It's a good housekeeping practice.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 11:30 AM   #5
Wrangler

Yes, I agree with Ken that there have been no hard conclusions. I too use MQs, though I have rarely had problems with other brands (Sony, Fuji).

I would recommend you do a search on 'tape' or 'MQ'. You should get lots of hits.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 04:47 AM   #6
Major Player

I discovered the Panasonic MQ tapes a few months after buying a VX2000 and use nothing else now. I probably pay too much for them ($CDN45/box of 5) but they just feel right to me.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 10:01 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I too have never found the difference between MQ and PQ but I have been using the PQ's 63 minute and 83 miunte for 2 years in 2 different PD150's and an old VX1000 with out any troubles whatsoever.

Different strokes for different folks.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 10:20 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Now that the Canadian dollar has risen it should be even cheaper.

EDIT: I don't know what happened but that last sentence was supposed to refer to tapestockonline.com. I think you have to pay customs on it which can make them expensive (sorry I'm not too sure on this). As far as I know items under $20 individually are not charged tax.

If you are in Toronto the cheapest place to buy locally seems to be Tapeworks (search for Tapeworks Toronto in google for their phone #).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 05:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Thank you, Glenn. I'll check it out.

David Hurdon
Old October 1st, 2003, 10:48 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for all the help. Ill have to checkout the link aswell Glenn.

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio
Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:58 PM   #11
Inner Circle

For Canadians:
I think you have to pay customs on it which can make them expensive (sorry I'm not too sure on this). As far as I know items under $20 individually are not charged tax.

If you are in Toronto the cheapest place to buy locally seems to be Tapeworks (search for Tapeworks Toronto in google for their phone #).

RE-EDIT: For Canadians, 99.9% of items made in North America are not subject to customs because of free trade. My school bought 25 mini-DV tapes plus a storage rack and cleaning tape and the duty turned out to be $40ish (didn't do the accounting). I'm not exactly sure what happened there. The tapes were Panasonic tapes (the cheap ones) and are manufactured in Japan.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 07:50 PM   #12
Major Player

I haven't bought tape online but I have bought CDr/DVD-R media in the US and paid GST only. Is it possible that $40 bucks was tax rather than duty?

David Hurdon
Old October 3rd, 2003, 08:37 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Nope, I didn't buy that much stuff (the order was $100ish) and I think it was duty. There may have been some fee from a company that handles this stuff. I'm not really sure since it wasn't my money.

Perhaps you can call them to see if they know...
Old February 24th, 2004, 08:10 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Mixing PQ and MQ Tapes

Hi Ken,

In message two of this post you mention that you use PQ and MQ Panasonic tapes interchangeably... Now from the Panasonic link you've provided, Panasonic states that their MQ tapes use dry lubricant and I assume their PQ series would also use dry lubricant.

Having said that, I came accross the below website that says that both the PQ and MQ use dry lubes, but the website advises to run a tape cleaner through first (before changing from PQ to MQ and vice-versa)... is this something you do as well or is this not necessary? Personally I would think this shouldn't be necessary.

Here is the link:
http://www.hosannaproductions.com/tips/minidv_lubricants.html

Jack
Jack Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #15

Honestly, Jack, I've never run a cleaner when switching between MQ and PQ grade Panasonic tapes. I've never had a problem with my (former) XL1, my (current) XL1s, my (former) GL1, my (current) GL2, my DVX100 (few hours) or my DVX100A.

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line