New xl1-s Eating Tape - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old November 8th, 2001, 11:48 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Howdy from Texas,

<< There are two factory service centers that I know of. >>

As I said above, full contact info for both Canon USA service centers, including addresses and phone numbers, is on the page called "The XL1 Skinny" on the XL1 Watchdog at www.dvinfo.net

Thanks for the lead on Kelly Amado.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2001, 06:39 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Canon USA service center In New Jersey.
732 521-7007

DpsVelocity Editor
XL1S & GL1
Mark Chiocchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2001, 06:40 PM   #18
New Boot

Ahh...interesting.

Well I'm going home and rewinding a few tapes. I have a dv film starting in Jan and now would be a much better time to have to put it in the shop if there is a problem. Thanks for the heads up!
MrGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2001, 08:54 PM   #19
New Boot

Re: Ahh...interesting.

<<<-- Originally posted by MrGranger : Well I'm going home and rewinding a few tapes. -->>>

They were eaten. Too bad when I get Canon to fix my camera they won't throw in a few miniDV tapes. Well tomorrow I call. I'm very glad I found this out now.
Old November 9th, 2001, 06:58 AM   #20
Major Player

I've been following this thread with interest as my new XL1S should arrive any day now. This will be one of the first things checked and it will be a real bummer if the camera has to be sent in for repair before I even get to use it. I will post my findings as soon as possible.

Ed
Ed Frazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2001, 07:04 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I have my XL1 now for months and shot like 15 weddings.
Mine has not eating any tapes and I use just Sony Excellence tapes. B&H say this is the best tape out. I would not use no more than a 60 min tape cuz as you use a longer tape the thiner the tape will be.

Try Sony Excellence tapes and see if tape what is is.

Mark

DpsVelocity Editor
XL1S & GL1
Mark Chiocchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2001, 08:45 AM   #22
Marv Frankel

New XL1s eating tapes

Mark,
It might be possible, but I really doubt that the brand of tape is the problem here. When I got my XL1s back from Canon, it worked like a charm with the same brand of tapes I had been using. Also, my friend Doc Del on Maui, who has been using the best tapes available in his older XL1 for several years, experienced the same problem with his new XL1s, which he bought within a week of mine. I would think that there would have been some mention by Canon, in their Service Report, of what tapes to use, but since they replaced the brake assembly, and adjusted all functions back to factory specs, it now works just fine. I have to believe this is more than just coincidence, but if the problem crops up again, I'm more than willing to try a different brand of tape. I have been using TDK 60-minute tapes, which record 90 minutes in the LP mode.
Old November 11th, 2001, 12:06 AM   #23
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by RockFord : I have my XL1 now for months and shot like 15 weddings. -->>>

You say you've had yours for months and it's a XL1. I think the majority of people have XL1s or other new models. The new version of the Optura also seems to be doing the same thing. I think it's a new part that is doing the eating. It's definitely not the tapes as I lost a Sony, Panasonic, and Fuji all in my testings. I had to be sure I could duplicate the problem.
Old November 12th, 2001, 04:58 AM   #24
Marv Frankel

XL1s Eating Tapes - Update

Guys,
I thought you'd like an update on my "tape eating saga". I captured several videos from my XL1s today, the longest being 1 hr 27 minutes, wound and rewound these tapes, and it didn't miss a beat. These were not new tapes, but had been run through my GL1 quite a number of times. I think Canon solved the problem, although I'm still waiting to hear from them, as to the exact cause. Even though I was a little concerned at first, their fast response alleviated my fears.
Old November 12th, 2001, 08:22 AM   #25
Trevor Gunning

New XL1S eating tape

I am so happy to know every thing is goin well now Marv. I too am intrested in what Canon has to say. I think the consumers deserve a report. Who will write to Canon on this matter? It has to be some one that had the problem, Marv I suggest you take up the case.

Best regards
Old November 13th, 2001, 10:51 PM   #26
New Boot

Went to talk to Canon yesterday.

Talked with a rep at the Irvine office yesterday. It appeared that he just recently was made aware that there could be a problem. They are looking into it was the answer. So far they had gotten a few cameras back this month so it was something they are aware of. But he said he didn't know the cause but it was being investigated. Could be a bad part that gets broke in shipping, a defect, or design flaw. Whatever it is they repair it VERY fast. They fixed my camera today! Fast service and very friendly so I am extremely happy. Still need to test it out...great chance this weekend. But I was happy with the response.
Old September 8th, 2003, 03:21 AM   #27
New Boot

I have had this issue myself of late, particularly when rewinding or cueing the tape. It's been an ongoing problem for several months, but recently the severity has increased to the point where I've had to ship it off to Canon USA for service.

In speaking with the XL-1 Owner's Club guys (who were EXTREMELY gracious and helpful, even if it did take three weeks and four calls to get a box sent out), they've told me to be sure and tell Canon that this has been an ongoing problem...they may go ahead and consider it a warranty repair, even though my camera is almost 14 months old. I sure hope so...

I'll keep you posted- this appears to be a fairly common issue.
Dylan Marchetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 05:51 AM   #28
Warden

Quote:
. . . this appears to be a fairly common issue.
I don't think this is a common problem at all. You resurrected an almost 2 year old thread. If it were such a common problem we'd see much more frequent or current thread. Also, the thread is about new cameras and as you stated, yours is 14 months old.

Let's hope Canon can solve your issue and do it in a fair and equitable manner, considering the ongoing nature of your problem. Good luck and keep us posted.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 05:57 AM   #29
Major Player

XL-1s Eating

In the almost 2 years of using my XL-1s, I have not experienced a single jam, using the Sony tapes. No problem in any season.

Might I suggest that condensation is a possibility in some of the cases posted.

Don't look for a "dew" light. They do not always detect the moisture. Just make sure that the equipment is equalized to the indoor/outdoor temperatures that you will be operating in, for @ 2 hours.
Old September 9th, 2003, 04:43 PM   #30
New Boot

Re: XL-1s Eating

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert J. Wolff : In the almost 2 years of using my XL-1s, I have not experienced a single jam, using the Sony tapes. No problem in any season.
-->>>

This was a problem with the first batch of XL-1s. Corrected in later versions quickly. And as I did, if you return it to Canon they replace the tape threading and it's fine. But it was a problem in those first models. If you've got an older model XL-1s then all you have to do to check is rewind a couple tapes. They would be eaten right away. It took me only two to notice the problem.

Been fine ever since. I love my XL-1s. Have done about 13 short films with it plus many, many other spots. Can't wait to gear up for the feature. Best $$ I've spent.

MrG
MrGranger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line