New xl1-s Eating Tape - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old September 19th, 2003, 12:29 AM   #31
Wrangler

joining the club

I looked up this old thread because my second XL1s just started eating tapes tonight (during rewind). The conditions surrounding my cameras do not support some of the theories I've read, not that it matters, but here they are, for any statskeepers out there:

First camera purchased on 8-31-2001. It's been the workhorse and hasn't had this problem yet. *knock on wood*

The second one was purchased 1-7-2002. It sees medium action--enough that this problem could have shown up a long time ago.

I've used nothing but Sony premium tapes, and live in a dry climate. I'm thinking there's no rhyme or reason--that it just happens to some and not others.

Off to Canon repair it goes! I'm not giving it a chance to tick me off again.

BTW, any chance of salvaging the tape? It's crumpled around the 30 minute mark (60m tape) and the stuff I want is near the beginning. Home repair, take it somewhere, or toss it?
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 12:47 AM   #32
New Boot

Got my XL1-S back from Canon today. According to the service order-

"Replaced slide chassis assy, idler gear, drive gear assy., performed tape bath adjustment, cleaned head, tape path checked, all GWO."

All that plus my yearly maintenance wound up being $273.73, and I got it back in 5 buisness days. Not too shabby for being out of warranty.

As for the damaged tape...you CAN salvage the footage. Flip the tape upside down, pop open the top, make sure you stick something in the little indentation in the middle (so the tape moves freely) and, using a pencil, rewind the tape far enough that the damaged section won't go through the heads on the camera when you insert it, and you should be able to get any footage at the beginning of the tape back without much difficulty. Just make sure you don't try and play the damaged part again.

BTW- Even while it was eating tapes, I found that when I used Panasonic Master AY-DVM63MQs, I had no problem. That's the only thing I'll ever feed it from now on...
Dylan Marchetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 09:39 AM   #33
Wrangler

Not bad! Considering a general cleaning/service cost me $252.00 last month, that's not bad at all.

Thanks for the tip on rewinding my damaged tape. I'll give it a try.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 11:11 PM   #34
Tourist

Hi folks, sad times. My new XL1S, which could aptly be named "Jaws," also has a voracious appetite for tape. Sadly, in post production it chomped its teeth into master footage for a DV drama-film for which I am now currently out of funding. And here I thought I was sitting high and dry with all of the principal photography completed! The digested tapes are 60 min. pro Panasonic, and are the only brand of tapes run through the camera. In fact, only 12 tapes were ever used in the camera. The problem occured about 4 seconds into rewind function. Like the experience of others, an EJECT, REMOVE TAPE signal came up and upon ejection I discovered a stream of master video ticker tape. I've sent the camera off to Canon but am feeling very blue. This is not the first problem I've had with the camera. I've also had great difficulty with the lens with respect to focusing. The usual system of zooming in, adjusting focus and slowly widening out yields a slip in focus. Canon suggested I clean the contact points between the lens and the body of the camera, which I did, but to no avail. So, I'm lamenting my purchase and hope that when the camera returns the Cold War will be over. P.S. on a brighter note, I thank you all for your insights, experiences and comments in the various threads. I've learned so much and feel connected to a collection of very special people. Cheers.
Old March 16th, 2004, 11:48 PM   #35
Outer Circle

Martha, clean the heads once or twice and give Fuji a try. If your cam still has an appetite, time to take it in for an inspection.

All the people I know with XL1 cams and who use Fuji, don't have any problems.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 02:09 AM   #36
Wrangler

Hi Martha,

Sorry about your experience with the tape. I share your "blues" because my second XL1s just seems to be problem prone. It hasn't eaten any more tapes--yet, but ruins footage sometimes, even though it's been to Canon repair recently. I never use it on event (one take) shoots anymore.

As for the drift in focus, it wasn't until I'd been hanging around this forum for nearly two years that I read about the stock lens being pretty much useless. I'm still saving up for a manual lens.

Best wishes for a problem-free completion of your film!

Frank,
Seems like you've been running an informal survey on camera-specific tapes for quite some time, so I trust your findings; think I'll experiment with my problem camera and switch it to Fuji. I'll be careful not to mix tape brands between the two cams. Thank you for the reminder. I'd switch both right now but just stocked up on Sony's and they seem to work fine with the one camera.
Lorinda Norton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line