VTR Decisions - Sony versus JVC DV Decks - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 30th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
So, whats the difference between the 15U and 25U? From reading the specs, the only difference is the LCD on the 25U for another 1300 bucks.

Dave
According to the brochure on the Sony site, the M25U has SMPTE timecode with user bit while the M15U does not include the user bit. The M25U also can send the original camera recorded timecode out over the 1394 port when using it as a playback or dubbing deck - I gather the M15U replaces the original timecode with its own when acting as the source for dubbing. The M25U also has HDMI output, they both have downconversion of HDV to SD but the M25 adds adjustable cropping (??), manual control of audio recording levels and audio monitoring for thru headphones. Just from the looks of it, the M15U resembles the DSR-11 while the M25U resembles the DSR-25 and I'd guess like with those two, the M25's transport is similarly a bit more rugged of the two.
Old April 30th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #17
Major Player

M10U Transport

Steve,

Is the M10U transport more delicate than the 15 or 25?
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:56 AM   #18
Capt. Quirk

I think they found the 10U to be the same tape system that is used in the FX1 camera. In which case, it isn't really designed to do repeated tape shuttling.
Old May 1st, 2006, 06:07 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D. Hubbard
Steve,

Is the M10U transport more delicate than the 15 or 25?
I don't know. All I have to go on is the promotional brochure on the Sony website and was just guessing based on eyeballing the pictures. I've heard the M10 was somewhat fragile for heavy editing ingest duty since, as Keith says, it's based on the FX1 transport. (Isn't the Z1 reputed to have a more rugged transport than the FX1 as well?)
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:26 AM   #20
Major Player

Tnx..

Thanks Guys,

This is very helpful.

Jack
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:39 AM   #21
Capt. Quirk

The M10 was a cool design, but I have yet to hear from anyone who has actually used it. Same with the rest of the new Sony VTRs, nobody has really chimed in yet.
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:46 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
The M10 was a cool design, but I have yet to hear from anyone who has actually used it. Same with the rest of the new Sony VTRs, nobody has really chimed in yet.
AFAIK they're not shipping yet.
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:33 PM   #23
Capt. Quirk

Sure... That could be one reason. huh huh huh...
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #24
New Boot

The M25U seems to be as rugged as the DSR25 workhorses we have been using. Weare migrating towards HD and have found the lack of HD component input on the M25U to be frustrating. We have no issues with using the firewire as an input for our HD stream but have not been able to find a mixer that takes firewire HD in and out.
Walter Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 06:35 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Go to Sony's Pro website and you and click on one of the menus and see the comparisons
Ray Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
So, whats the difference between the 15U and 25U? From reading the specs, the only difference is the LCD on the 25U for another 1300 bucks.

Dave
Some other differences here in Japan (US versions are not always the same specs.)
25U can copy the original time code from the tape being dubbed.
25U has edge crop adjustment
25Uhas a headphone jack
25U has HDMI output
25U has custom repeat functions (the 15U has only auto repeat) Gooid if you use the deck to demo a reel at a show.
25U has an assign button function

The 15U can be operated in a standing position - because of the monitor the 25U would look a bit strange in a standing position!?

The M10 was discontinued in April at the Japanese factory. But of course there are still a few around at resellers.
Old July 4th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
We have 3 M10Us in our rental business. No problems with them at all. Apart from so many menu options for downconvertion getting clients confused but that'll be the same on any HDV deck. Certainly I cannot see any difference between the transport in the M10U and the Z1/FX1. It works but I'd hardly call it a workhorse like our DSR-11s or DSR-45.

The new VCRs will take the D5 shell sized tapes so that's a BIG plus. When you need that, there's no way around it.

I personally own a DSR-11 which has paid for itself many times over so if SD is your only game they're still good value, well apart from the door breaking off if you're rough with it. The ability to handle PAL and NTSC is great, don't know why not having setup on the analogue outputs is an issue, never use the analogue output anyway.

But if you've got the money and want a bit of future proofing the new HDV decks would be the go. I've never had any faith in anything JVC, we've been badly burnt by their 500 camera, simply awesome camera when it used to work but $1,000s in repairs and it will still not eject a tape reliably. Plus as noted their decks will not record DVCAM, I tend to always record masters to DVCAM, just for extra bit of reliability.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line