Monopod for EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)

Old September 11th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Monopod for EX3

Any suggestions for a monopod for the EX3? I was looking at the Bogen carbon fiber (max load 11 lbs.) but it would be great to have some sort of head on it. I cannot seem to find an adequate head. I shoot the EX3 with the big 60 battery and shotgun, and hopefully a the Sony hard drive w/ battery so I guess I am looking at a payload around 12 lbs?

Any suggestions? Thanks :)

Matty S
Matt Sturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #2
New Boot

I am not happy with the single fixing screw for this large camera on a tripod so my advice re a monopod would be 'don't even think about' with a single 1/4 inch screw.
I have seen people using the HDV Z1 on a monopod but they are much smaller and lighter.
Jamie Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Get the manfrotto 561B. Its excellent.

YouTube - Bogen Manfrotto 561B Monopod
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Trustee

ditto, on the bogen above and add a simple cheap bogen tilt head - don't remember the number - your choice with or without a quick release.
You can also get 2 cheap Bogen or Giotto sliding base plates and put one on your tripod and one on the monopod then you can go quickly between TRIPOD AND MONOPOD.

Get a fanny pack for the monopod also.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks guys for the info. One question, on the site it says the load capacity is 8.8 lbs. With a battery, hard drive, mic, etc I am guessing the load capacity is too much?

Has anyone tried the Manfrotto 562B? It says it has a load capacity of 17.6 lbs which should be more than adequate. It looks as though the head is much different, though. Any advice? thanks for the current info, much appreciated:)

Matty S
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Trustee

get both and send one back
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Try this, and put the head of your choice on it...

Bogen / Manfrotto | 685B NeoTec Monopod Deluxe | 685B | B&H

33 lb load capacity, and the neotek design makes adjustments sooooooo easy.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Regular Crew

What about that new Sachtler Soom system? You can buy the individual bits... and max payload on the extender pole / monopod is 19.8 pounds

sachtler: Tripods

Sachtler | S2005-0001 Soom Tube | S2005-0001 | B&H Photo Video $489

Maybe expensive but it could be the start to a nice bit of kit
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:16 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hedgecoe View Post
Try this, and put the head of your choice on it...

Bogen / Manfrotto | 685B NeoTec Monopod Deluxe | 685B | B&H

33 lb load capacity, and the neotek design makes adjustments sooooooo easy.
That's probably a much better option than the 561B. I have a 561B and I hate it. Using a VX2000 it wobbles all over the place resulting in camera shake with little provocation. I consider it a total waste of money and I only bought it because of the generally positive writeups. Seems best suited for a compact DV pocket camera. A cheap thin tripod would work better.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

thanks for the info guys...got some research 2 do...
Old September 12th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #11
Trustee

" Using a VX2000 it wobbles all over the place resulting in camera shake with little provocation."

How are you using it? Do you have a head on it? I use it for handheld work braced in fanny pack. No opportunity for wiggle, Can't imagine it.

Maybe you are standing up and trying to hold steady shots from standing height. I wouldn't use it that way I don't think.

I wouldn't want anything heavier.

Lenny
Old September 12th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #12
Major Player

Bogen 561b is good. A little heavy, but a good system if you need to move, pan, and tilt.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
" Using a VX2000 it wobbles all over the place resulting in camera shake with little provocation."

How are you using it? Do you have a head on it? I use it for handheld work braced in fanny pack. No opportunity for wiggle, Can't imagine it.

Maybe you are standing up and trying to hold steady shots from standing height. I wouldn't use it that way I don't think.

I wouldn't want anything heavier.

Lenny
When I use it that way (like a steady stick along with a fanny pack) it works fine, but so do most monopods. But, yes it is in fact designed to hold steady shots from standing height and in that respect it fails miserably. Yes. it does in fact have a head on it.

But in fairness, I checked my monopod and it is in fact the 560B and not the 561B. They look the same. Not sure if there is a difference:

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 560B Fluid Video Monopod with 234RC Head (Black): Camera & Photo

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #14
Major Player

I would go for the Velbon Neo-pod 8, Velbon Tripods which I think can also be bought as the Miller monopod.

Far, far better than the manfrotto IMHO, is actually pretty much a single leg of a Miller DS20 tripod. Light and incredibly sturdy but not as expensive as a Gitzo of similar build. I can use it to support my EX1 or DSR500 with no problems.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #15
Trustee

I can see it wouldn't be that steady free standing , but are any of them. I usually brace it against my body to triangulate for standing shots & that works fine. Never tried anything sturdier in a monopod. I don't want anything heavier.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)