Monopod for EX3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 13th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
When I use it that way (like a steady stick along with a fanny pack) it works fine, but so do most monopods. But, yes it is in fact designed to hold steady shots from standing height and in that respect it fails miserably. Yes. it does in fact have a head on it.

But in fairness, I checked my monopod and it is in fact the 560B and not the 561B. They look the same. Not sure if there is a difference:

Amazon.com: Manfrotto 560B Fluid Video Monopod with 234RC Head (Black): Camera & Photo

John
Big difference between the two. the 561B is much sturdier and has a proper head on it as well with quick release plate. The 560B is a lightweight bit of kit, not int he same league.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #17
Major Player

One of the nice features of the 561b is it can go up to 7' high, which is nice. You'll need some type of remote for that height.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
Big difference between the two. the 561B is much sturdier and has a proper head on it as well with quick release plate. The 560B is a lightweight bit of kit, not int he same league.

The problem isn't the head, it's the rest of it that is wobbly and flimsy. The monopod was designed with a "fluid foot" for panning and does not need a "proper head" for panning.
Is the head the only difference? Have you physically seen them side by side to verify that the telescoping sections and the foot are sturdier or fatter?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
The problem isn't the head, it's the rest of it that is wobbly and flimsy. The monopod was designed with a "fluid foot" for panning and does not need a "proper head" for panning.
Is the head the only difference? Have you physically seen them side by side to verify that the telescoping sections and the foot are sturdier or fatter?

John
Well John I use the 561B every weekend for weddings and its rock solid. No "wobbles" at all and vert sturdily built. If I thought it was rubbish I wouldn't recommend it. The right balance of being light enough but strong enough, at the right price.

If you want something a bit better sactler have just released a monopod called "Soom". I use Satchler tripods and can highly recommend them, so if the Soom is the same build quality, and I have no reason to doubt it won't be, it will be an excellent monopod.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #20
Major Player

Steve,

Have you developed any tricks to keep the 561b rock steady? It's stable on its own, but my breathing, swaying, and muscle twitches find their way onto the screen. I've heard others comment on the foot being too tight, but mine will just hold itself with a small camcorder vertical. Any small input and it will topple. I've tried tightening the foot more, but I think I've max'ed it out.

I really like the pod, I just can't keep it perfectly stable because I am not perfectly stable. I see it as a great improvement over hand held and much faster and convenient than a tripod. If I have time and space I'll go for the tripod every time.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)