Pelican foam gripes - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 8th, 2010, 02:41 AM   #16
Inner Circle

The UK Channel 5 Gadget Show did rather extreme test on flight cases.

FiveFWD - Challenge - Transport - Part 3 video from The Gadget Show
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #17
Major Player

I bypass the pick&pluck foam, and spring for the padded dividers. Holds everything in place, lasts forever...and is reconfigurable. I just hate paying so much for the convenience of not having the padding shred in a few months of use.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #18
Inner Circle

The Pelican brief.

I've got a 2yr old 1510 with pp foam and when it pulls apart at the points where the cam fits in the well I've cut, I use the recommended glue to tack it together. Works Ok but it'd be a pain with a few cases like that.

I remember reading there are different grades of pp foam and you'd expect Pelican would use a top one.

But the gripe I've got with Pelican is, the 1510 is touted as 'airline çarry on' and it's not. Soon as you put some small weight in it it's over the limit on most airlines. Emailed the plant but they still .. Grrrr.

Cheers or maybe not.
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #19
Inner Circle

If they start weighing, it's usually a 10Kg limit, so you won't get much camera gear as hand baggage inside a 6kg case
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Polyurethane foam doesn't have much longevity.

I use the 3/8" "ethafoam", or similar, used by backpackers to build dividers.

Another good foam is polyethylene foam used to pack computer equipment. It can often be found for free. You can use a hot glue gun to assemble it into any desired shape.
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #21
Trustee

Upholstery foam holds up well, at the price of being ugly --- I built a case for portable studio strobes using a footlocker and upholstery foam purchased at a fabric store about 30 years ago....just dug it out and, yep, the foam is still in great shape. The spongy grey open-cell foam that casemakers use turns to goo in a few years. My commercial cases have never held up well, no matter the manufacturer...
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 06:05 AM   #22
Major Player

Re: Pelican foam gripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
please do NOT get me started on Pelican cases and a company that does NOT stand by their product, and continues to produce a product with built in failure - the diced foam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
Polyurethane foam doesn't have much longevity.
I use the 3/8" "ethafoam", or similar, used by backpackers to build dividers.
Also I have now had enough of Pelican's crappy foam -- I own five Pelican cases -- all, except one, have deteriorating foam, (the one that's okay has the soft dividers insert). So thanks to this thread (and especially to Dean) I've just ordered a few 1" blocks of Ethafoam so I can toss the silly pick & pluck foam and replace it with some real stuff.

-- peer
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #23
Major Player

I have the Pelican 1510 and bought the 1/2" thick sheets of foam that Sears sells for tool box liner material. It comes with a razor knife and instructions on how to cut it to shape. I made several layers of it to fit my XL-H1A, it's EVF, mic and battery charger. works great.

I also tried using a higher density foam and cutting it with a hot wire knife. Didn't turn out so good.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I have the soft dividers in my Pelican cases - but long ago I learned to cut foam with an electric carving knife. Still serves me well. Whenever I need to cut foam for projects, I pull out the old 'sunbeam' and slice away.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #25
Inner Circle

By the way, you can also get jigsaw blades designed to cut foam. Might be easier for small or detailed shapes than an electric carving knife.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #26
Major Player

I had all of the same problems with the pelican foam, and finally gave up on it a couple of years ago. I found a bunch of gardening kneeler pads for cheap ( really dense, closed cell foam, almost neoprene like, except it's over an inch thick), and used an electric knife to cut out the shapes.
It's worked wonderfully; the foam is quite dense, with a sealed surface so it doesn't break down through inserting and removing gear. I attached the edges to the inside of the cases with spray adhesive, and they stay put very well.
The best part of it was the pads themselves were CHEAP. If I recall correctly I paid under $6 for each, 10 in. wide by 20 in. long. I got a half dozen of them for the price of one set of pluck foam from Pelican, and still have two left
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #27
Kino-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez View Post
I have the soft dividers in my Pelican cases [...] .
I have found that dividers made of a robust material connected with Velcro will last longer, thus saving aggravation and creating less material waste. It's good for you sanity and the environment! This what I've made the move to in all of my new cases and when it has come time to replace foam. For example, I've used the modular divider system from Kata: Kata MODI-VERS KIT-S10. Accessories (Kata Bags)
Old July 13th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #28
Major Player

to cut foam , the best solution i have found is a electric carving knife.
It leaves a very clean edge and doesn't pinch the foam while cutting.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion