Does the Canon HV40 have analog/digital pass through? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 28th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does the Canon HV40 have analog/digital pass through?

Subject says it. I want to convert some old VHS and BETA tapes to DVD for a family member. I have an old JVC consumer camera that I'm missing the power adapter that I know has the function. I also have 3 HV40 cams so if I can use one of those it would be ideal.
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 12:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Does the Canon HV40 have analog/digital pass through?

It might be simpler to just buy one of the many converters that are on the market (plug one end into the player with analog connections and then plug the other into your computer usb port). The device will convert the tapes to a modern codec.

Like this (but there are many that will do the job):

Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 01:06 AM   #3
Trustee

Yes - see page 71 of the User manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Does the Canon HV40 have analog/digital pass through?-analogin1.jpg   Does the Canon HV40 have analog/digital pass through?-analogin2.jpg  

Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #4
Trustee

Is the USB OK for transferring video? I always thought that you need a firewire for this.

stelios
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #5
Trustee

If you do it the way shown in the manual you are first recording the external analog source to MiniDV in the camera in DV mode. You then would have to capture that tape using firewire in the same manner as if you had "filmed" in DV.

The reference to USB above pertains to an external device that takes your analog video from the external source, converts it, and then sends it over to the computer using a USB connection between the device (not the HV40) and computer.

The USB connection on the HV40 is only for still images recorded on the media card.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm not buying anything extra to do this. I'm converting a bunch of tapes for a family member and we haven't discussed payment. I'm doing it as a favor in my spare time assuming that I'll most likely be offered some compensation when I'm finished.

I don't want to capture to tape and then to PC. I have an old JVC single chip cam that does pass through and just needed to get the power supply which was at a different location. I've been using that method and have transferred about half of the tapes so far with no problems. I was just going to use the Canon if it was possible because I didn't know when I was going to get the power supply for the other camera back.
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #7
Major Player

The pass through takes the analog in from the VCR and passes it to the computer via firewire in one step. There is no need to record and then capture.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #8
Trustee

Make that a "No" then

That won't actually work on the HV-40 (just tried it). As soon as you connect a FireWire cable, the camera expects a digital input to record and the analogue input is disconnected. (Yes, I hot plugged the FireWire and the world has not ended - the FireWire input still works).

So, strictly speaking, it is not a pass through like the earlier DV cameras had. Sorry if I mislead you, but I always want a tape backup when I digitise my old analogue footage, so I hadn't noticed that until Bruce's post.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #9
Major Player

I just tried the pass through with the HV40 and it does work, but is a little tricky. I have to go to the menu and select AV>DV to ON each time I start the camera because it resets to the default OFF position.

I also found that with the software I am using (Premiere Pro CS 5.0) I had to set the device control to OFF otherwise when I hit the record button to capture it would activate the record button on the camcorder, which would reset the AV>DV to OFF again.

So, its a little tricky, but it does work with the HV40 for me.

Good luck, Lloyd
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion