Selling Stock Video Footage. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 25th, 2019, 03:12 PM   #16
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,006
Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
But because those 4900 clips have generated an average of $24 each, then the 2000 new clips should also generate an average of $24 each over the coming years.
That's quite a leap, especially because it begs to reason that, out of those 4900 clips, you have some that have not sold at all. It could be that the 2000 clips you just uploaded are more of the same as the genre/style/shots that don't sell very well. It's not really a good way to look at it.

Does Shutterstock give you such a breakdown? Or does it just give you a "you sold x number of clips and have made $x dollars"?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2019, 05:18 PM   #17
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 877
Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

Given the sample size and his increased knowledge of what is more likely to sell, extrapolating future income like he has seems reasonable.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2019, 05:59 PM   #18
Vortex Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,978
Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
That's quite a leap, especially because it begs to reason that, out of those 4900 clips, you have some that have not sold at all. It could be that the 2000 clips you just uploaded are more of the same as the genre/style/shots that don't sell very well. It's not really a good way to look at it.

Does Shutterstock give you such a breakdown? Or does it just give you a "you sold x number of clips and have made $x dollars"?
It is not a leap at all. All of the new footage is of different subject matter, and subject matter that I know is more popular. Plus I am now much more experienced at doing the metadata. If anything, I predict my sales of the new clips will exceed the sales of the older clips but I never count my chickens before the hatch. Besides, the content or quality of the clips themselves accounts for less than half the equation of having successful stock footage business. Furthermore, my newest clips are all 4K which means they will be selling for the next decade.

Gary, for someone who has no practical knowledge of the stock footage business or what I'm submitting or how I am doing it or how Shutterstock works, you sure don't have any shortage of opinions. There are so many aspects of this business that you clearly don't understand. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, but I find your negative attitude kind of insulting. I know my business better than you do. Ask questions, yes, but keep your opinions under wraps unless you can speak from knowledge.
__________________
Vortex Media http://www.vortexmedia.com/
Sony FS7, F55, and XDCAM training videos, field guides, and other production tools
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2019, 06:02 PM   #19
Vortex Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,978
Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
Given the sample size and his increased knowledge of what is more likely to sell, extrapolating future income like he has seems reasonable.
Bingo! That's exactly right.
__________________
Vortex Media http://www.vortexmedia.com/
Sony FS7, F55, and XDCAM training videos, field guides, and other production tools
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 04:36 AM   #20
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,006
Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
for someone who has no practical knowledge of the stock footage business or what I'm submitting or how I am doing it or how Shutterstock works, you sure don't have any shortage of opinions.
Nah, I’m the only one here asking you specifics as related to the business, you’re just coming off as exasperated that I won’t just up and purchase your workshop instead. But thinking you can bully me into it is an odd tactic.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 05:26 AM   #21
Vortex Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,978
Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

Gary, you are completely wrong . . . again. As I said, I'm more than happy to answer questions. But when you start making statements about my business model that are based on speculation and a lack of knowledge, what would you expect me to say? Just ignore it as if whatever you say must be fact? If YOUR experience selling stock footage is different than mine, I'm sure we'd like to hear about the specifics of it and then we could put your statements in proper context.
__________________
Vortex Media http://www.vortexmedia.com/
Sony FS7, F55, and XDCAM training videos, field guides, and other production tools
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 06:51 AM   #22
Trustee
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Deep South, U.S.
Posts: 1,477
Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

Gary likes to get a rise out of folks. I learned a long time ago to ignore his posts as they don't add anything meaningful to the discussion. Doug, nice job with your tutorial trailer.

Last edited by Mark Williams; March 26th, 2019 at 02:45 PM.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 07:21 AM   #23
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,006
Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
when you start making statements about my business model that are based on speculation and a lack of knowledge, what would you expect me to say? Just ignore it as if whatever you say must be fact?
What are you talking about, Doug? I have pointed out how you are speculating and am asking questions to get a clear understanding of what you are doing. You have a vested interest in selling a workshop to people, 99.9% of whom will not achieve anywhere like the numbers you are giving out. So I want to know what the real details are, not the santatized version. If you cannot relate to me like an equal, then at least give me the respect of not attempting to insult me into buying your course, it won’t work.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 08:53 AM   #24
Vortex Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,978
Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

I have never suggested here that you or anyone else buys my course. I didn't even start this thread. So if you have felt that sales pressure, that is in your own mind. Not once have I suggest that you buy my course. Not once. I did suggest you watch my intro video because all of your questions would be answered there (for free) and you could see that I am not giving anyone the "sanitized" facts. But you don't want to bother with that. Fine. I am happy to answer your questions one by one, but when you start telling me how to run my business, well then you have crossed the line.

Just because you know you cannot achieve success with stock footage doesn't mean that others won't be making just as much money as I am, so relax and let others go their own way. Nobody needs a naysayer who has no experience or special knowledge of stock photography pissing on it.

By the way, speculation and forecasting are two different things. If you knew anything about running a business you'd know that every business has to forecast future earnings based on past earnings and other factors. Business101.
__________________
Vortex Media http://www.vortexmedia.com/
Sony FS7, F55, and XDCAM training videos, field guides, and other production tools
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 10:19 AM   #25
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,381
Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

Doug, I just finished chapter 8. It really is a great course. Now I have a better understanding of how it all works, of course I am only 1/3 through it. I really enjoyed chapter 7 where you talk about what type of equipment you need. Not what camcorder to buy but rather what features to look for such as built in ND filters, electric viewfinder, XLR inputs etc. It reinforced my belief that with the Canon XF300 (soon to upgrade to 4K) and a flowtech 75 tripod I am pretty much set to go. I am looking forward to learning about mega data. I think that is what messes most people up. Thanks again for putting this together, with your help I am sure I will be able to sell some clips. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 10:27 AM   #26
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,006
Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
If you knew anything about running a business you'd know that every business has to forecast future earnings based on past earnings and other factors. Business101.
If you knew anything about running a business, you'd know that claiming you won't count your hours filming as "work" is complete b.s.

You have material you have shot all over the country, so that entails travel and the costs of travel. For instance, you have content that you shot in Yosemite. Why did you go to Yosemite? Did you drive or fly? How much did gas/ticket cost you? If you flew, how much did you have to baggage check in order to be able to capture this footage? For instance, on the job I am currently on, it will be $70 each way for my checked gear. Is that what you paid?

You have footage of Homeland Security during a drill. Did you happen to come upon this? Read about the drill in the news? Were you shooting footage for a paying client and then turned around and reprocessed it as stock? Because, technically, the client in a "shoot for hire" scenario owns that footage. Did you get an agreement?

You have footage from Salinas Valley California. How much did it cost to fly out there? How much was your hotel room? Why are you filming people on private land (where their face is clearly not obscured) and not getting releases? Or did you get releases? (you say in the video you linked twice that you don't have to deal with model releases).

You also have a lot of wildlife shots. I know that filming wildlife involves a lot of waiting and being there for the right moment. You don't show up on site, hit record, and a Pelican immediately starts running across the water towards camera. You spent a lot of time to be in the right moment to get that shot. And you don't count that time? That's completely ridiculous.

And speaking of wildlife, that really requires a lens longer than 200mm, what lens do you have just for wildlife? How much did it cost? When do you use it otherwise other than filming wildlife and rocket launches for your stock portfolio? How big is it? How do you fly with it? Again, you don't count the costs of things you should be counting, which you would be if you knew how to run a business.

Or maybe you're just neglecting this because you're only interested in selling this $153 course, and those numbers just "muddy" things?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 11:40 AM   #27
Vortex Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,978
Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

Good questions, Gary.

You are exactly right. If shooting is a chore for you, then there's no point for you to shoot stock. If you never travel for pleasure with a camera, then yeah, you wouldn't like it. If you don't have opportunities in your normal course of business that you can take advantage of to kill two birds with one stone by shooting stock, you wouldn't like it. If you don't have an eye for spying opportunities when they present present themselve, then stock is wrong for you. If you can't tell the difference between commercial images and editorial images and how each can be leveraged, then it's not a good fit for you. If shooting stock footage would be no different to you than digging a ditch or washing dishes, yeah, it will all seem to be work.

So, we are in complete agreement. Stock footage would be a huge failure and waste of time for you. Fortunately, none of that applies to me and most of the people I meet that who have even a modicum of entrepreneurial spirit.

BTW, your suggestions of how or why I shot certain clips in my portfolio are quite comical when I think of the reality behind them . Hilarious really that you think you have some kind of insight into how, where, or why I have shot my clips. Wow.
__________________
Vortex Media http://www.vortexmedia.com/
Sony FS7, F55, and XDCAM training videos, field guides, and other production tools
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 11:44 AM   #28
Vortex Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,978
Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay View Post
Doug, I just finished chapter 8. It really is a great course. Now I have a better understanding of how it all works, of course I am only 1/3 through it. I really enjoyed chapter 7 where you talk about what type of equipment you need. Not what camcorder to buy but rather what features to look for such as built in ND filters, electric viewfinder, XLR inputs etc. It reinforced my belief that with the Canon XF300 (soon to upgrade to 4K) and a flowtech 75 tripod I am pretty much set to go. I am looking forward to learning about mega data. I think that is what messes most people up. Thanks again for putting this together, with your help I am sure I will be able to sell some clips. Bob
Bob, thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. With your can-do attitude you are assured of success. All that my video can do is point you in the right direction, give you a road map, and a kick in the ass to get moving. It is up to you from there and I can tell you're already on your way to success.
__________________
Vortex Media http://www.vortexmedia.com/
Sony FS7, F55, and XDCAM training videos, field guides, and other production tools
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 11:48 AM   #29
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,006
Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
You are exactly right. If shooting is a chore for you, then there's no point for you to shoot stock.
Thatís ignorant, Doug.

Quote:
If you never travel for pleasure with a camera, then yeah, you wouldn't like it.
This is too. I could say that, ďIf you hate spending time with your family, get into shooting stock footage on vacations!Ē Do you hate your family, Doug? If you think thatís a stupid thing to say, youíd be correct. It would be, and as equally so as those two statements.

Quote:
If you don't have opportunities in your normal course of business that you can take advantage of to kill two birds with one stone by shooting stock, you wouldn't like it.
Then you could describe such a scenario from the questions I posed to you.

Quote:
BTW, your suggestions of how or why I shot certain clips in my portfolio are quite comical when I think of the reality behind them. Hilarious really that you think you have some kind of insight into how, where, or why I have shot my clips.
Except you damn well didnít answer my questions that I asked, now did you? Why didnít you, Doug? Is it because the answer isnít quite far off the mark? Better to just act like it is and hope you donít get called out? Well...oops?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 02:50 PM   #30
Vortex Media
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,978
Re: Selling Stock Video Footage.

Gary, whatever I say will just churn up your anger and animosity even further. Nothing to be gained for me to waste my time on this "conversation". Or is it an interrogation, I'm not sure? I happy to answer questions, but I don't have to answer to you or explain myself. Come to your own conclusions, because I know you will anyway. Have a good day.
__________________
Vortex Media http://www.vortexmedia.com/
Sony FS7, F55, and XDCAM training videos, field guides, and other production tools
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK


DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:34 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2020 The Digital Video Information Network