My datacards, have no video on. Can anyone help? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 10th, 2020, 12:56 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: My datacards, have no video on. Can anyone help?

If you were recording to tape, as we used to, many people tried to save money by reusing them, only to discover they were worn out! Solid state media is no different. Everyone with a Mac gets told when they remove media not finished with with a dire doom warning, Windows users don't. Cards are for me brand new for important stuff, and as my cameras have two slots, for critical work, I'll use two.

If there is a chance they can be recovered, I'd try that first. Surely the cost of BUYING some recovery software is worth trying, after all, it will happen again. I'd spend money now rather than have to reshoot which within in your small community is a reputation killer, even though it's not your fault.

Of course, the result could still be bad, but common sense says you should try. Data loss is hardly uncommon so download some and try to fix it!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2020, 01:04 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
When I put the data card in the computer, all that comes up on the card is a file called "USBC"
I posted a reply to your inquiry on another forum. I wouldn't be doing anything with the card until you read the following:

"Work-around for a certain type of data corruption that appears to happen frequently using certain USB card readers (internal and external). Symptoms are the sudden loss of files and or partitions etc. Usually in combination with FAT. Remaining files and/or folders may get names such as "USBC◘╧è◘" or "USBC..". Possibly related to ADATA NH92 adaptors though that is not certain! After researching the issue online it seems a lot of people think this is a virus. I see mention of the "USBC virus" and "USBC malware", yet it's not. It's a hardware / firmware failure that happened while data was being written to the SD card. IsoBuster is now able to detect and compensate for such issues on the fly so that files and folders can still be found and extracted."

https://www.isobuster.com/news/isobu..._release_notes

Failing that have a look at trying out:

https://www.easeus.com/landing/data-...SAAEgKvSPD_BwE

It's a very capable piece of recovery software. EaseUS has saved my bacon a couple of times. I know others it has done the same for.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2020, 01:12 AM   #18
Inner Circle

How many forums is Ryan asking the same questions?

I currently know of two.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2020, 01:33 AM   #19
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. Well thanks a lot everyone for the help. I tried PhotoRec and that helped recover all the footage and it looks like it's all there. So thanks! And thanks for all the extra help!

As for re-using cards, I got use to it as long as I reformatted the cards each time I was done, but is that a bad idea? Sorry if I asked the same question, it's just that I only had the location for a couple of more days, and I was desperate to see if I could retrieve what we shot first. Sorry if I got desperate, just tried to get as much info on this problem as I could. But thanks everyone for the info!
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2020, 01:42 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Reusing is common practice, however, I wouldn't reuse a card that has an issue for important work, use it for something else if you really want to. It's a very cheap card, so not worth the risk compared to the other costs..
Old July 10th, 2020, 01:55 AM   #21
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. But if I reformat the card will it still have problems? I thought it was my card reader and not the car itself, cause the card itself was working fine in the camera, until I put it in the card reader. So I just thought it was that.
Old July 10th, 2020, 02:25 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Unless someone does an analysis of the card and your corrupt data, it may be difficult to pin down the cause. The card reader only reads what's on the card, unless other cards are having issues in the card reader it's likely to be something to do with the card or the data on the card.

You can reformat and record new video media on the card and test for errors. It's possible that you may still get errors if there's an issue within the card itself.

However, in the greater scheme of things, why are you so worried about keeping a SD card?
Old July 10th, 2020, 07:51 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I was going to suggest the same program. Looks like you got the files back but didn't learn your lesson and want to keep using the same card. smh

so he's filming documentary. I remember years ago myself and other suggested to that... oh well
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2020, 07:57 AM   #24
Inner Circle

He's been advised by experienced users on the other forum to dump this card. Anyone else would dump the card after the data has been extracted.

However, I suspect, there will be some going around in circles over this card.
Old July 10th, 2020, 03:36 PM   #25
Inner Circle

I fail to see how one moment we are talking about having the budget for hires, for actors, for locations, for professional crew and other costs being fundable, then we are all talking about cards costing less than a McDonalds!!!

If I recovered the files from the duff card, the first thing I'd do once I'd got them was throw it away to stop it being used again!

This is just daft. Some of us here are getting a bit ancient - I find it impossible to believe a young person is penny pinching enough to not keep buying cards. Amazon delivered a couple today. 32Gb £7.50 each. I'm totally happy with this cost, but they're disposable things.
Old July 10th, 2020, 09:11 PM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Fellows, I try not to ask for much, but please assume the good faith of others and avoid calling any person's character into question around here.

I had to withdraw from public view a few posts in this thread which were clearly unrelated to the OP's topic of SD card data recovery.

Many thanks to those who continue to respond to the OP with useful advice. That is after all the whole intention of DV Info Net. The OP is indeed genuine and I hope all of the replies he gets are genuinely helpful.

Much appreciated,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2020, 06:39 PM   #27
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh yeah for sure, I don't have to use the card again, that's no problem :) I just thought it was an issue of turning off the camera to soon before the camera was finished writing to the card, and not a problem with the card itself.

Last edited by Ryan Elder; July 20th, 2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old July 21st, 2020, 10:14 AM   #28
Inner Circle

You're probably right Ryan, although normally the camera won't cycle off if it's writing - but I CAN wreck the files on my JVCs if I eject them when they're writing.

For what it's worth, I have had duff SD cards brand new from time to time - so I always record a few seconds of video and play it back on every new card before using them. Just in case.
Old July 21st, 2020, 10:50 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
For what it's worth, I have had duff SD cards brand new from time to time - so I always record a few seconds of video and play it back on every new card before using them. Just in case.
Not only can name brand cards have a problem as manufacturing isn't perfect, but the counterfeit cards can also have problems. Trying to find a genuine card at a good price is difficult. Just like with manufacturing, products are made to within a certain percentage of failure, buying something, like a genuine card, will have a certain percentage of failure. In Vegas, sometimes the house wins.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2020, 11:09 AM   #30
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. The card is a sandisk card.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion