My datacards, have no video on. Can anyone help? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 23rd, 2020, 10:25 PM   #46
Trustee

Re: My datacards, have no video on. Can anyone help?

Josh ... you're a trusting sole! Ouch!

Got a deal for ya. Just type "counterfeit SD cards" in your favorite search browser and see what comes up.

Like Greg, got fed up with counterfeit mics last fall and just went and bought a new pair of AKG C414s, paid with a credit card, then immediately verified the serial numbers with the importer that they were good, and registered them. Saving all the paperwork and packaging documentation in the event I, or my estate, (thinking long term here), ever want to sell them.

Recently bought some more filters but opted this time to go with Breakthrough Photography for the CPL, skylight, and a 2x ND. Got them direct and one nice thing is they have serial numbers engraved on the ring for registration purposes. They also keep a history on each filter. Their threads go very well with B+W, but with the B+W UV, it doesn't have a serial number. I found that B+W is another popular counterfeited brand but had checked beforehand with the company and the retailer was on their list.

A number of years ago the Government was confiscating yachts and planes that carried any contraband like what typically comes out of South America, even if there was only a small item, or if the crew had something. It made a lot of news. So why doesn't the Government do that with the container (or maybe the whole container ship!!!) that carries counterfeit stuff into an American port? If it works for the narcos it should work for the counterfeiters.

In the past several years I've become very careful about buying some of these kit items.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 11:22 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Early on I tried saving money buying cards on Amazon and Ebay. But quickly stopped once I found out how rampant counterfeits are. I stick to legit retailers like B&H. Otherwise you can get double burned buying an inferior counterfeit while paying close to full retail.

Interestingly even legit cards there is a large variation in speed compared what they advertise. Most of the time it doesn’t matter because non raw cameras write speeds are significantly slower leaving a large margin. At the end of the day all that matters is they’re reliable. My cameras have dual cards so it’s not as important. Since I work paid gigs I’d never hesitate to toss a suspect card after one error.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 11:24 PM   #48
Trustee

I bought the bogus flash drives (before I knew better) via eBay, from China (hence my previous comments about pet food, toothpaste, and childrens' toys).
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 11:36 PM   #49
Slash Rules!

WEll, just liked that KFC popcorn chicken commercial from 25 years ago said to do, I learned something fun and new today. That is all crazy. I will use ebay only for buying unimportant things like used FS7s.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2020, 11:51 PM   #50
Trustee

I still buy "toys" through eBay, usually from the lowest price seller ... things like Arduino boards and peripherals, project boxes, etc. I just bought a lid for a skillet. I buy paracord for use like tying up mike cables, extension cords, etc. I would never use eBay paracord for rock climbing!

I just bought a lot of canned food and ramen noodles from Amazon ... not from an "Amazon seller" but from Amazon itself. (just stocking up for when the plague gets really bad and supermarkets are even less safe).

FWIW mailorder crap is nothing new. Back in 1989 I bought a good-name SLR zoom lens from Wall Street Photo, based on their ad in a big national photo magazine. When it arrived the focus scale was out of calibration and it just would not focus at all in some ranges. They forced me to drive to NYC and confront them in person before they'd give me a refund. So Wall Street Photo (if they are even in business today) will always be high up on my $#!+ list.

Out of curiosity, how many of you would trust buying from Amazon itself (or its subsidiary, Woot)? Or buying from a seemingly real dealer (Pitbull Audio comes to mind) via an order placed on eBay?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2020, 12:29 AM   #51
Inner Circle

I just buy consumer type stuff through Amazon, any professional kit I've bought mail order or over the phone is from established professional dealers.

Ebay is useful for used or older kit, I once saw one of my old lenses for sale there; a Zeiss Contax 300mm f4 modified with an Aaton mount. It looked in pretty good nick.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; July 24th, 2020 at 01:02 AM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2020, 02:44 AM   #52
Slash Rules!

Here's one for you, whether from an established dealer or anywhere else, would you ever buy USED gear for pro use. I don't mean the simpler stuff either (lights, mics etc.), but a camera system or something? One of my colleagues made me too paranoid and dissuaded me from that when I got my C100 a few years ago.
Old July 24th, 2020, 03:14 AM   #53
Inner Circle

I would only consider used for high end camera kit like an Arri, not prosumer cameras, unless it's really low hours.

I've bought used 16mm film cameras for work.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2020, 07:17 AM   #54
Regular Crew

I have purchased used lights, audio mixers and microphones through eBay, always checking that I was buying from an individual seller (not an online camera store) with a good reputation and feedback. So far, they have all worked out just fine. Back in the SD days, I got two used JVC video cameras as well. No problems.

I've only bought one used camera in the last ten years or so, a Panasonic UX180, but that was through an individual's classified ad on a competing pro video forum, not eBay or Amazon. That transaction went perfectly and I've used the camera heavily and often since then, still works great.

Maybe I've been lucky. I do buy the bulk of my major items from legitimate professional dealers, B&H and some others.

- Greg
Greg Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2020, 10:24 AM   #55
Slash Rules!

What’s the rationale behind individuals vs a store?
Old July 24th, 2020, 10:50 AM   #56
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, well as far as whether or not the card is counterfeit or not, I bought it at Staples.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2020, 11:32 AM   #57
Inner Circle

I've bought virtually all my cameras second hand. I never chase new models, but patiently wait till new ones come out, give it a few months and then buy from H Preston, or other dealers with good reputations. It rarely caused issues with tape, and none at all with solid state. An 18 month old pro camera that new was 7 grand, 18 months old, a hundred or so hours on the clock and it's less than half that. Works great for me - I am always 18-24 months out of date, but don't care a hoot!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2020, 11:39 AM   #58
Slash Rules!

Maybe its different over there...here it takes way longer for those items to be half price at say, B&H. Not that Im looking (Im very much not) but the thing that gives me pause about buying things like cameras used is the “ticking timebomb” factor....how do we know there isnt some hidden/latent issue that will develop in six months? I had a colleague who bought an EX1 or EX3 used and some error code started popping up after a short time; dont think he was ever able to fit it.
Old July 24th, 2020, 01:49 PM   #59
Inner Circle

Buying used is a mixed bag I've had good and bad experiences. Recently more bad than good. I'll give you two bads.

1. Bought an open box camera from Adorama on ebay for $500 less than retail. The camera ended up having a manufacture defective lens that only showed up after I filmed a job. It was covered under manufacture warranty but I had to pay for shipping with insurance ($100) then wait a month to get it back. So I went through a heap of aggravation and could have lost a client to save $400.

2. Bought a used light from an individual. He didn't ship it for 1.5 weeks forcing me to buy it else where because I needed it for a job. Since the seller had no return policy, I ended with 2 of the same light with a whole lot of stress and aggravation.

I've had good experiences too, but don't kid yourself it's always a gamble going used.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2020, 03:30 PM   #60
Slash Rules!

Hence the paranoia with more complex/expensive items. One thing I would never do is buy something in that way (used) when I need it at certain coming deadline. I'd be more likely to do it when a deal popped up and I didn't need it for anything specific and imminent.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion