Do I tend to overthink things in filmmaking? - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 1st, 2020, 08:03 AM   #241
Inner Circle

Re: Do I tend to overthink things in filmmaking?

It clicked one day in a theatre. I use purple poly strops for dangling heavy items from steel beams and realised they’re ideal for going around the usual pillars we get in our old churches with lots of these supporting the arches and other overhead features. They usually have a proper top on which the timber or masonry sits and these strips can go around and be choked easily then with a normal shackle you can send 3mm cable across to the other side. First time I cut the cable and used the normal cable clamps but later I thread the 3mm cable through the shackle and drop it down and hang some sand bags on it at ground level. This easily puts tension on and the mic cables are taped to the catenary. The soft strops leave no marks even on old brickwork or plaster.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2020, 09:58 AM   #242
Inner Circle

you should post pictures, because when you say strop I'm imagining I'm at the barbershop getting a shave

Maybe you have different architecture. Around here I either get residential smooth walls and ceiling with no beams or modern offices with large open spaces and nothing structural to latch on to. It would seem to me a few c-stands would do what's needed quicker and more safely. But I'm still curious.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; October 1st, 2020 at 12:26 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2020, 12:24 PM   #243
Trustee

Paul, that's a clever idea to use what I would call a sling (a loop of flat woven polyester) around the supporting pillars in a church. Unfortunately the churches I'm thinking of don't have free-standing pillars in front of the nave; the transcept and chancel are one big open area). No pillars over the chancel or choir (those supports are part of the wall), so not a solution for micing the choir (or preachers).

However it would be a good solution for micing the pipe organ, assuming there are pillars at a distance where there's a good direct / reverberant mix.

I presume you do need a ladder to attach the slings to the pillars. So for recording in an unoccupied church, light stands might be simpler. But for recording in an occupied space, and keeping the mics out of the way, that's a great technique.

Yes, a few photos would be nice, if you have any handy.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2020, 04:28 PM   #244
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
If you're dealing with a business, unless it's an area that doesn't get used is the location, shooting over the weekend or on a day when they're closed is usually the best policy.

Given that your acting pool seems very limited, you may get stuck with the cast. Allowing extra time during the filming day allows the possibly of getting the best out of your cast. However, you do need to get involved with coaching and directing performance out of them. It's a proactive process.
Oh okay, well I did use the location on the weekend, but they still needed to cut it short for some reason. But I can still use locations over the weekends.

I can bring in actors from other cities too, if I have to. I just need more options I think.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2020, 04:40 PM   #245
Slash Rules!

you need to find out their specific reason for screwing you. if you can remember any of them from past incidents, tells us and we might be able to tell you if it sounds like a bs excuse to get rid of you
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2020, 04:53 PM   #246
also known as Ryan Wray

I really cannot remember the specific excuse. It had something to do with the business and his wife, but I do not remember the specifics at all. One time someone I know let me use their house but then I find out on the shoot day, the power had been cut because they were being evicted, they had found out, so that's one I remember.
Old October 1st, 2020, 05:08 PM   #247
Slash Rules!

Uh, WOW.

did you try to verify that or just take them at their word?
Old October 1st, 2020, 06:44 PM   #248
Inner Circle

Ryan and the amateur movie "business". He has a long road ahead of him. Lesson 589,999 even free things have a price. l can only imagine all things that go over his head. If he only knew what he didn't know. Although they say ignorance is bliss.
Old October 1st, 2020, 07:16 PM   #249
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Uh, WOW.

did you try to verify that or just take them at their word?
Well I only had a limited amount of time to shoot before the power went out completely, so I figured I should use that time to shoot, rather than verify if it's true, thus if it is, I would have spent that time on investigating, and keeping the cast and crew waiting, instead of shooting.
Old October 1st, 2020, 07:19 PM   #250
Slash Rules!

Oh I see. I thought you meant the location owner/renter cancelled on you completely with that as the excuse. So did you witness the power actually going out then?
Old October 1st, 2020, 07:21 PM   #251
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh sorry for the confusion. Yes the owner did cancel in the sense that we could only use the location for a much shorter shoot time. But the power did go out at the time that he said it was going to, yes.
Old October 1st, 2020, 09:41 PM   #252
Slash Rules!

I guess that could be legit. It’d take a pretty dedicated jerk to flip the switch on his fuse box to fake a power outage. Still, “power outage due to eviction” is a new one for me.
Old October 1st, 2020, 09:48 PM   #253
Trustee

Ryan, I'm curious. Was the power outage in someone's home, or in a place of business?
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2020, 10:01 PM   #254
Inner Circle

I wonder how he never tires of it. Whatever the reason, it sounds like a scrappy existence. Every thing, from borrowed equipment, volunteer cast/crew, free locations... He's like a factory churning out endless questions and problems in need of constant help and favors.
Old October 1st, 2020, 10:11 PM   #255
Slash Rules!

I agree but at the same time I'm kinda jealous. Wouldn't it be awesome to run into nothing but problems and criticisms, and never have your fire burn out? Most of us should be so lucky.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion