Do I tend to overthink things in filmmaking? - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 1st, 2020, 10:23 PM   #256
also known as Ryan Wray

Re: Do I tend to overthink things in filmmaking?

Are you saying that by not having my fire burn out after this many problems, that I have a lot of patients?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2020, 10:23 PM   #257
Inner Circle

I can't help but laugh at the image of the lights going out in the middle of filming a scene.
*sound of circuit breaker being thrown.

I still go back to thinking the true gold is all the unintentional humor of amateur indie film makers ala This is Spinal Tap.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2020, 01:11 AM   #258
Inner Circle

You should realize by now that nothing is ever simple with Ryan.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2020, 06:04 AM   #259
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
Wouldn't it be awesome to run into nothing but problems and criticisms, and never have your fire burn out?
And with so many people whizzing on his fire...
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2020, 06:06 AM   #260
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
Are you saying that by not having my fire burn out after this many problems, that I have a lot of patients?
Only if you're a doctor.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2020, 03:30 PM   #261
also known as Ryan Wray

Another thing is, when it comes to shooting scenes that take place outside, how do you get enough time, since the sun will change in an 8 hour shoot, if I am to go over 8 hours. For those scenes, do you just have no choice but to get it all done in a shorter amount of time then?
Old October 3rd, 2020, 03:51 PM   #262
Slash Rules!

you plan your shots around the sun's position and what backgrounds you want...i.e. when sun is favorable for x shot, shoot that, when it's going to be favorable for y shot, you shoot that. You have to move fast enough to make that work. On closer shots on budgeted projects they can fake sun to a degree with powerful lights.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2020, 03:56 PM   #263
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, but if the sun changes position won't that change continuity in the lighting? Viewers have noticed lack of continuity in my lighting before, when shot changes, so wouldn't they therefore notice this as well?

Also, I did try this one and it didn't quite work, because the sun went behind the clouds as the shoot went on, and couldn't be used in a reverse type way for the later shots.

But even if it does work, the sun still changes color temperature throughout the day, so will that be a problem? Because even if you try to change with it in the camera, the are still differences in the color you can see.
Old October 3rd, 2020, 04:18 PM   #264
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I can't help but laugh at the image of the lights going out in the middle of filming a scene.
*sound of circuit breaker being thrown.

I still go back to thinking the true gold is all the unintentional humor of amateur indie film makers ala This is Spinal Tap.
Hey Pete, you laugh now but there could be money in that. I’m imaging a Comedy about how a group decides to make a movie. A conglomeration of various wannabes who set out with the glorious idea of making this film.

The flick would start out with a social group at a setting where, during a random discussion around a barroom corner table ( with typical jawboning) a few things are said where one thing leads to another and then there is this great idea that slowly comes together about making a movie. This is a group of “non professionals” but with various interests in acting, writing, and video abilities that begin to think “how hard can it be?” and they can pull it off. Ah, yes, it is low budget, after all, how can making a movie cost all that much money. Let’s do it.

Certainly, the scene at the house where, as was discussed in the posts above, would be a memorable part of the film.

I love it!

Throw in some cute chicks (actress wannabes) and some Epstein sex scenes (almost, but GP or Mature Audience rated) to make it more marketable (hey, sex sells).

Dang, this could be a good one.
On second thought, to hell with the house lights going out, lets just go with the Epstine thing!

As for the days getting shorter, that reminds me about one flick, I think it was “Dirty Dancing”, that took place at a New England or upstate New York summer resort but the actual filming, due to a late start, dragged on into the beginning of fall color so they had to spray paint the tree leaves to make them green.

With a Comedy one doesn’t need a “deep” plot so that would make it easier.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2020, 04:25 PM   #265
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Elder View Post
Oh okay, but if the sun changes position won't that change continuity in the lighting? Viewers have noticed lack of continuity in my lighting before, when shot changes, so wouldn't they therefore notice this as well?

Also, I did try this one and it didn't quite work, because the sun went behind the clouds as the shoot went on, and couldn't be used in a reverse type way for the later shots.

But even if it does work, the sun still changes color temperature throughout the day, so will that be a problem? Because even if you try to change with it in the camera, the are still differences in the color you can see.
These are issues that all dramas have faced over the years, This is the DPs job to plan out with you. There are various ways of overcoming it. In his commentary on "The Dualists" DVD, Ridley Scott gives very piratical advice on this subject.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2020, 04:59 PM   #266
Slash Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
Hey Pete, you laugh now but there could be money in that. I’m imaging a Comedy about how a group decides to make a movie. A conglomeration of various wannabes who set out with the glorious idea of making this film.

The flick would start out with a social group at a setting where, during a random discussion around a barroom corner table ( with typical jawboning) a few things are said where one thing leads to another and then there is this great idea that slowly comes together about making a movie. This is a group of “non professionals” but with various interests in acting, writing, and video abilities that begin to think “how hard can it be?” and they can pull it off. Ah, yes, it is low budget, after all, how can making a movie cost all that much money. Let’s do it.

Certainly, the scene at the house where, as was discussed in the posts above, would be a memorable part of the film.

I love it!

Throw in some cute chicks (actress wannabes) and some Epstein sex scenes (almost, but GP or Mature Audience rated) to make it more marketable (hey, sex sells).

Dang, this could be a good one.
On second thought, to hell with the house lights going out, lets just go with the Epstine thing!

As for the days getting shorter, that reminds me about one flick, I think it was “Dirty Dancing”, that took place at a New England or upstate New York summer resort but the actual filming, due to a late start, dragged on into the beginning of fall color so they had to spray paint the tree leaves to make them green.

With a Comedy one doesn’t need a “deep” plot so that would make it easier.

Allow me to hijack and say I have already made this movie. I got to go to Slamdance to support it. Highlight of my film "career".

Old October 3rd, 2020, 11:03 PM   #267
Inner Circle

What a great movie. Thanks for sharing. I love how the date stamp remains on the same day. Funny thing, even though it's a spoof, I feel far more emotionally invested in the characters than someone else's movies. I assume you used the camcorder shown at the beginning to film it. So did you submit it to a film festival or did you not have the $25?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2020, 11:22 PM   #268
Slash Rules!

Thanks. I submitted it to MANY festivals, got into some, won a handful of awards. Slamdance was the only "big deal" fest I've ever been in and it was for this movie.

Date stamp was put in in post.

It was actually shot with the XL2 (same cam I filmed the "real life" scenes)...I just put it in 4:3 mode and dubbed it to VHS and back and forth several generations, desaturated in post to give it the genuine old school look. Maybe they have filters that can fake it well now but back in 2006 when I filmed this there weren't any (that I knew of).
Old October 4th, 2020, 09:35 PM   #269
Trustee

Josh - Very fun flick. The characters in the cast really fit their parts and the chick was cute. The ending depicting the guys going through their drug experience was interesting how you put it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
It was actually shot with the XL2 (same cam I filmed the "real life" scenes)...I just put it in 4:3 mode and dubbed it to VHS and back and forth several generations, desaturated in post to give it the genuine old school look. Maybe they have filters that can fake it well now but back in 2006 when I filmed this there weren't any (that I knew of).
Good idea dubbing back and forth to give it the “old school” look. So, instead of going with the best of everything cam at the time which, I would guess, most of us would probably do, you actually went the other direction … and got awards! Way to go!

Part of the comedy was the guy really turning the chick off and she kept trying to find a way forward. It's interesting how un-real that can be, and yet, it makes it funny.

Thanks for showing! Much appreciated.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2020, 10:22 PM   #270
Slash Rules!

Thanks. The XL2 was my only cam at the time so that's what I shot with.

I'd worked with the male actors before on other projects, still do with "Raptor". Woman is a professional actress who for whatever reason agreed to do this basically gratis.

End was supposed to be a very obvious homage to Requiem for a Dream (especially the eyeball shot). Probably more relevant at the time I made this 'cause Requiem was only a few years old then.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion