DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Panasonic ag ac90 - Uk customer delays (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/514047-panasonic-ag-ac90-uk-customer-delays.html)

Mike Beckett February 19th, 2013 07:16 AM

Re: Panasonic ag ac90 - Uk customer delays

It's a great mic for the price (and I paid more than that eBay price for it). I got the AT875R because it really is very short, and less likely to appear in the corner of the picture when camera-mounted.

Be sure to get a decent wind cover for it, like a Rycote softie. Make sure that whatever it is, it doesn't have long hair that get in the way.

Ethan Arnold February 19th, 2013 02:15 PM

One more thing, although it's a little late to ask now ;-)
I assume the AG-AC90 UK model is not any different than the mainland EU model? (Except for the 230v power cable which I assume I can easily exchange for a standard one)? It records in 50p and not 60p like the U.S. model? And it has the same 3 year warranty (when registered with Panaonic)?

Phil Gadd February 19th, 2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Arnold (Post 1779749)
After reading some more forum entries and reviews, I've also gone and ordered the AT875R :-)
Thanks Phil!

Glad to help Ethan, it's been a very busy time for me buying a new imac 27 and ac90 (still not got this till the 27th though)

The guys on here recommended the mic so I just bought that one off ebay (didn't realise it doesn't come with a lead, will have to get one from somewhere)

Mike Beckett February 20th, 2013 01:28 AM

Ethan,

It's Panasonic Europe, you're OK buying it from the UK. And it will be 50p. When I registered my AC130 the Panasonic email i recieved ended with .de, so I reckon you're even more OK than me!

Mine also came with a bunch of different EU power cords as well. I assume the AC90 is the same. Failing that, it's an easy item to swap with any old power cord from other equipment.

Mike Beckett February 24th, 2013 07:07 AM

Not long to go now, Phil... excited yet? <grin>

Phil Gadd February 24th, 2013 07:57 AM

Hi Mike, cant wait BUT because there have always been delays on this I am trying not to get my hopes up.

CVP said panasonic would start shipping orders this week (to suppliers) then I will get a notification etc.

To be fair, Im getting to grips with my new 27 iMac and using some tome to train myself further on FCPX and Motion so my post editing skills get better.

Hopefully if it arrives by next weekend I can move my attention to using this camera, I feel I know some of the functionality already having the TM900, but really looking forward to testing it out :-)

Ethan Arnold February 24th, 2013 08:46 AM

I know I sure am excited :-)

I asked CVP again last thursday and they told me too, that they are expecting the distributor's delivery this week and expect to ship my order mid-week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Phil Gadd February 24th, 2013 03:17 PM

Hi mike, will the below lead suffice with the ac90 and AT975r?

Male XLR to Right Angle Female XLR Cable

Or is it this one

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/27089...var=sbar&cbt=y

Mike Beckett February 24th, 2013 03:43 PM

Hi Phil,

The CVP one looks better. You'll more than likely want the right-angle part at the mic (which is the "female" end of the cable). The eBay one seems to have the right-angle at the camera end (the male end of the cable) which I think could be awkward.

I always end up making my own cables from components, because I just can't get the right length of cable or combination of connectors to please me. They always seem to have too much cable, which only gets in the way of my clumsy hands or catches on something. But that might just be me!

re. the wait, it is awful. I was the same with my new camera, and now that I have the AC130 I've hardly touched it in two weeks, I'm embroiled in DVD production and need to get that finished first. There's always something to keep us from our toys!

Phil Gadd February 25th, 2013 01:45 AM

Thanks Mike

Never noticed that until you said. I am not best at being patient but I think it will be worth the wait :-)

Ethan, have you ordered the ac90 from CVP uk?

Ethan Arnold February 25th, 2013 01:55 AM

@Phil, yes, sure - is there any other CVP? ;-)
I ordered from UK because it's 20% cheaper than anywhere in Germany.
Like many things are... the German's have crazy high retail margins...

Phil Gadd February 25th, 2013 02:28 AM

Initially I was told that panasonic would be shipping to suppliers on the 22nd and CVP would receive on the 25th but I will let you know if I hear anything my end via email etc.

Will you be using your AC90 for a hobby or paid work?

Ethan Arnold February 25th, 2013 06:04 AM

Well, currently I do produce image films for SMB, but I'm not professional enough to shoot or cut myself so I hire freelance teams. But I'm very interested in filming and after reading some books on professional filming, I'd like to start training myself by i.e. documenting the camera team producing my films. So I guess you could call it a hobby that I hope to convert to professionalism when I'm good enough ;-)

Phil Gadd February 25th, 2013 06:56 AM

Thats how we all start, a hobby into a small obsession (some call it profession ha)

I have been using 2 Tm900 so this is the next step up before I get ready for a much bigger purchase (Mike has the 130 which is very nice indeed)

Luc Spencer February 25th, 2013 08:07 AM

One thing baffles me - the AC90 has even smaller chips than the TM900, so how is it better in low light? Does the backlit perk help them do better in dark environments? Also, can you get a nice DoF with it or will everything stay ultra sharp like it does on the TM900? If not, I don't see how you can justify paying twice as much than for a TM900. Sure, better color accuracy and stabilization, but those weren't bad to begin with on the TM900. I film weddings with JUST that little camera and everyone stands in awe of the video quality. The only reason I'd want to get an AC90 would be to not have to explain to everyone that the tiny TM900 does a much better job than they might think!