DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Panasonic ag ac90 - Uk customer delays (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/514047-panasonic-ag-ac90-uk-customer-delays.html)

Phil Gadd February 4th, 2013 10:42 AM

Panasonic ag ac90 - Uk customer delays

Hi Guys

Ordered on of these last saturday and as it stands, there are apparently NO units in the UK as Panasonic have only released to USA and Europe (was convinced the UK was in Europe the last time I looked!)

so, I am in a dilema, do I possibly leave the order as is and wait (though the arrival date has been 2 months delayed already) or go for an alternative i.e. Canon xa10 maybe to go with my Tm900?

Decisions decisions

Tom Roper February 4th, 2013 01:58 PM

Re: Panasonic ag ac90 - Uk customer delays

The TM900 is very sharp, but the image stabilization is not as good, nor is the low light, DR, white balance or color accuracy. I own both. The gamma choices and DRS levels make a huge difference. The AC90 also has the 8 blade iris versus the 4 blade of the TM900. The XA10 doesn't do 1080/50p/60p. Sorry there is a wait for Uk. Panasonic are losing sales and opportunity.

Mike Beckett February 4th, 2013 02:27 PM

Phil,

I would tough it out. You've got cameras that will do a great job in the meantime, and when the AC90 arrives you'll be glad you waited. Supplies of these cameras are hard to come by it seems, and the best way is to get your name down and the supplier will do their best. CVP are a very, very good company.

There's two things you can do, obviously:
1. Wait for the AC90, and be delighted
2. Re-evaluate your needs. Is there something else that would do the job better for the same money? I would say not. Don't impulse buy something just because your primary choice is unavailable, think long and hard. If you do change your mind, be sure it's the right choice long term.

It's not always easy. In my case, I was waiting for my regular supplier to get me a JVC HM600, and he couldn't get it in time for my filming needs - with no date for deliveries. I re-evaluated my needs, and decided that the Panasonic AC-130 did pretty much everything I needed, ticked 99% of the same boxes on my spreadsheet (yes, I am that sad). It was £500 cheaper too, which means I can have a raincover, extra batteries, UV filter, mic and still have change from that £500.

In my case, it was a good decision I think. But if you are going to change your mind, hold your breath and count to 1300 (pounds) and see what you think you can get for the same cash. If the XA10 ticks all the boxes of your current and possible future needs, then maybe... but don't do anything rash!

Phil Gadd February 4th, 2013 02:44 PM

Thanks Mike/Tom

its Frustrating, to make matters worse I ordered a top 27" iMac which also is on a 4 week wait (to help speed my post editing workflow up)

So currently, I have spent £3600 to push my little business passion forward, one camera down and nothing to show" (words of my girlfriend by the way)

Guess you're right, its worth waiting for, will just have do what the animals do and hibernate for another 6 weeks! :-)

Mike Beckett February 4th, 2013 03:19 PM

At least you still have cameras, Phil! I surrendered my Sony for part exchange, little knowing that it would take so long for a replacement, over a month.

It will be worth it. I've read and seen a lot of good things about the AC-90. Might it be an idea to contact Holdan (UK importer of Panasonic cameras) to get more info on deliveries?

See: Broadcast and Video Technology from Holdan. Tapeless workflows, editing software, professional camcorders and media delivery tools

Phil Gadd February 4th, 2013 03:30 PM

Great Idea Mike, just sent them an email now. :-)

Chris Harding February 5th, 2013 07:26 AM

Hi Phil

Patience is the key here I guess..I'm sure they will come soon. At least you are still in the chilly season so you shouldn't be that busy...Last year I changed cameras (burning bridges like Mike did) in February as I had a neat 2 week gap between weddings and yes, the same thing happened to me!! A shoot and no cameras as they were delayed...Luckily I had sold my old cameras to a mate here so I had to sweet talk him into letting me borrow my old cameras back for a week.

Hope they arrive in the UK soon!!!

Chris

Phil Gadd February 5th, 2013 07:35 AM

Thanks Chris

It could be mid march but I am hoping it will be end of Feb. I can use my TM900 I suppose if needed OR I could always hire something (but again I am pretty new to the PRO gear so it would be like giving a ferrari to a baby!)

I did consider taking the plunge briefly for the 130 or 160 but I decided to stick to my original budget

Currently its snowing in Liverpool which will please most people enjoying the sunshine at present ha ha

Chris Harding February 5th, 2013 08:51 AM

Hi Phil

...and by comparison I'm shooting a wedding on Saturday and the forecast temperature is 38 degrees (and that's Celcuis too!!) It will be a sweaty day!!

It seems weird that the AC90 is not yet available ...Global Media Pro have had the 90 in stock since November at AUS$2070.00 (that's before any sales tax of course) but still awesome value.

If Pansonic had developed a AC100 to take over from the HMC80 then I would have stuck with them but that was not to be so I jumped ship to Sony with the new EA-50 ...shoulder mount cameras are scarce now and Sony had the only one where the form factor really suited by shooting style ...I'm still getting used to the DOF issues with using a big sensor like DSLR's but so far it's great!!

I was totally disappointed with the AC-130 and 160 and kept mine for 3 months only ..the AC-90 is a wise choice!!

Chris

Mike Beckett February 5th, 2013 12:53 PM

Chris,

I see it's cooled down a bit for you then!

Phil Gadd February 5th, 2013 02:41 PM

we can only dream of those temperatures cant we Mike :-)

I sent a complaint in to Panasonic and ...... (long pause) still no reply

I cant wait to start using the new ac-90 even if it is just a basic pro model.

As I say, I had to laugh on the phone when the agents said it was released in the US and Eurpoe (hence a bit of sarcasm about the UK not being in Europe.

I guess i should download the manual and see if its readable

Mike Beckett February 5th, 2013 03:02 PM

I've experienced those temperatures when I was in Aus a few years back... I don't think us pasty Celts are designed to cope with that. The people of Perth still talk about the guy with the bright white legs who blinded them when he wore shorts round town.

The AC-90 manual should be online somewhere. Failing that, try here:

Frank's thoughts on HDV - Documentation Index

Ctrl+F and search for AC-90, you'll find brochures and manuals. Panasonic manuals normally are in two parts, one is printed and the second, detailed one only as a PDF on a CD. I prefer PDFs, I can search easily and view them on my iPad.

Mind you, if the broken English in the AC-130 manual is anything to go by, you may be more confused after reading the manual!

Chris Harding February 5th, 2013 06:19 PM

Panasonic manuals have actually become very poor! Apart from the bad translation, the actual content simply tells you what a button does and that's about it..no usage or help or explanation. I would strongly suggest that you order Barry Green's book on the AC-90 ..It is written by Barry with the camera in hand and each section covers stuff in absolute detail.

Today is neat weather!! Up to 30 only!!

Chris

Phil Gadd February 6th, 2013 03:20 AM

Thanks Mike

I found part 1 of the manual here
http://www.humanvalues.net/hdv/pdf/P...tober_4_EN.pdf

Why do they make manuals so boring with such exciting technology! surely its time for VIDEO manuals :-)

Chris/Mike, is there a big deffierence between the ac-90 and ac130 as its double the price in the UK?

Mike Beckett February 6th, 2013 04:16 AM

Phil,

Volume 2 of the manual is on there as well, if you look.

As to the differences... bigger chips, bigger lens (physically), more zoom, manual NDs, loads more functionality... I don't have an exact list of the differences, a comparison of specs will help there.

The AC-90 does have auto-NDs and a better built-in stabiliser, and is smaller and lighter.

My AC-130 comes tomorrow. It was supposed to be today, but they chose one of my least-favourite couriers. The wait is torture!!

Chris Harding February 6th, 2013 05:16 AM

Hi Phil

The cameras both do a good job but it depends on you usage before you classify them...The AC-130 is a brilliant camera for Mike but totally useless for me as I'm a solo shooter juggling multi cameras so with no operator it simply doesn't work but the AC-90 does work ..you can put it on auto and walk away ..On my 130's I dared not even think about auto mode. The AC-130 AF drifts very badly in auto but is rock solid in manual and a brilliant sharp lens too. Auto exposure with the 130 is NOT advised..it has a tiny iris range and doesn't change shutter so if a cloud breaks and the sun shines thru you have to manually change ND filters otherwise your image is just blown out.

To be honest the ONLY reason I didn't get two AC-90's was there is no auto level control on the XLR channels and I need that during wedding receptions when ambient levels vary a lot...otherwise I would have already had two of the cameras instead of the much more expensive Sony EA-50's (almost double actually) Then again the Sony has a huge number of extra features that I really wanted and it's a shoulder mount too. The form factor was my main choice reason as I have been a Panny person for the last 20 years!!

The chips in the 90 are 1/4.7" and in the 130 they are 1/3" (however the 90 chips are backlit so they are good!!) Yes, as Mike says the 130 lens is a big bugger!! and a HUGE zoom too. I must admit I didn't like the audio section of the 130's at all ...the clipping is very harsh so don't use the limiter at all if you can help it on your AC-90

You will be very pleased with the 90!!!

Chris

Mike Beckett February 6th, 2013 07:16 AM

Like Chris said. Plus, steam trains are easier for me cope with than brides. Much more predictable!

I normally record separate audio, only using on-cam audio for certain circumstances. I just use a Rycote S Series set-up with an AT875R feeding into a Tascam recorder.I love the way it will record two versions of the same audio, one at -12dB, which is great for unexpectedly loud happenings.

I try not to neglect the on-camera audio either, it has dug me out of a hole once or twice when something bad happened to the separate audio. I'll be putting an AT875R on the AC130, and putting a new mic into the Rycote.

My model is also an AC130A, so allegedly it is slightly than the original AC130 Chris had (newer firmware, turbo push focus, but still the chance of auto-focus drift). Still, I usually work in full manual, at least for focus, and I don't have to run multiple cameras...

Conversely, Chris would be busier than a one-legged an at an a*se-kicking contest if he tried to do that!

Chris Harding February 6th, 2013 09:00 AM

Hi Mike

Like I said they were a magic pair of cameras without any major issues..they simply didn't suit my style of shooting. Mind you with one on the tripod and one on the shoulder (I built shoulder mounts for them) it was somewhat tricky to manage the pair. At wedding scenarios where you are in constantly changing light conditions I found I was switching ND's in and out at an alarming rate to the extent where I was waiting for the shaft knob to eventually break off. In constant lighting they work a treat ..I just wish that they had coupled shutter speed with the iris so the cam in auto iris would have changed shutter when the lighting changed ...ND's manually switched in cause a flash as the filter drops in or out and that isn't too nice at a wedding ceremony and the button procedure to change shutter manually was way too complex.

That lens is quite awesome though!! I never had to use 23X at a wedding but it has an amazing range indeed!! Dunno about you but if you feel the default scence file (F1) is very wishy washy ..I thought the colour saturation was very low on F1

Give the cam a whirl using the F3 scene file..it's called SPARK and gives a nice picture overall!! Oddly enough the Picture Profile on the Sony is called PP3 and matches my Panny HMC82's very nicely and the images are also great overall ....I think the F1 setting is designed to be very flat anyway so don't worry if your initial shots look crappy ..just jump to F3 and they will shine!

Chris

Mike Beckett February 6th, 2013 12:22 PM

Thanks Chris...I suppose this is really a separate thread, but I'd been quietly following the discussions on The Other Forum, while wishing I had one of those.

It's similar in operation to my old Sony V1E, which had almost the same controls (albeit an exposure wheel rather than a ring on the lens barrel). The one thing I'll not miss is that worry about having to remove the lens hood, remove one filter, attach another, reattach lens hood, re-expose... then something changes and I'm left wondering whether or not to repeat the above. Another thing about the smaller cams (HMC41 and Sony NX70) was the single ring on the lens that you switched between different functions. That's just not fun.

Not long to go now... one more sleep until my belated Christmas!

Phil Gadd February 6th, 2013 03:12 PM

Guys you completely lost me on the last few entries but t sounds exciting stuff, especially how your ways of working and some problems encountered and overcome.. It's a new level for me to be sure

Btw, my girlfriend offered my services to record her best friends wedding in Spain (as a present of course!!!), I was thinking of taking the tm900 or ac-90, manfrotto monopod, the H4n ( plus I'm going to take your advice and get the AT875r) etc.. But I like my konova slider, although its 4ft long... Can you recommend a small slider to take ?

Thik it's a pretty picturesque venue so thought t would be good experience

Mike Beckett February 6th, 2013 03:25 PM

Phil,

I mentioned an alternative in the wedding forum. I'm sure it's not cheap! Lucky you don't have the AC-90 yet, this way you can travel a bit lighter.

Chris,

One other thing, the AC130A adds better focus assist compared to the original AC130. It's hard to tell from the cryptic manual, but I think you get a few more options with that.

Phil Gadd February 6th, 2013 03:58 PM

Thanks mike, that looks brilliant, bit more money than what I wanted to spend but love the idea (if it works as easy as hat)

Chris Harding February 6th, 2013 06:55 PM

Hi Phil

Ignore the slightly off topic comments...For the moment just use the AC-90 in full auto until you get used to all the controls. Wedding wise the only suggestion that I would make for now is if you are using the camera static for the wedding ceremony, once the autofocus has locked onto the couple, switch it to manual so it cannot decide to maybe focus on something different behind them ...once you go handheld again flick the switch back to auto and enjoy the wedding shoot..the AC-90 will look after you well!!

Chris

Mike Beckett February 7th, 2013 02:15 PM

As another aside (sorry!) with the arrival of my AC130A, I am a very happy and slightly awe-struck little boy at the moment.

First impressions are "wow"!

Phil Gadd February 7th, 2013 03:16 PM

I would love to say I dont want an AC130a BUT i do and I don't even now why..

BUT I chose to buy a new 27" iMac fully loaded for £2500 so I can post edit like superman... Hence I am going to have to wait for this Little gem :-/

Phil Gadd February 11th, 2013 11:02 AM

Finally got an expected delivery date into panasonic UK for 22nd feb, so I expect creativevideo to get it to me by around 27th feb... cant wait.

Does anyone know why NTSC and PAL have not now merged, I would love to shoot some 60p slow motion stuff but for some reason we are restricted to 50p :-(

Ethan Arnold February 16th, 2013 08:59 AM

I ordered mine at CVP on Feb 13th and got a mail the next day saying the expected shipping date would be the 26th. I sure am looking forward to it :-)

This will be my first semipro camera after using only consumer cams until now, and borrowing a Sony NX5 for a week in 2011. Since then I've been watching the market every couple months and wishing for an affordable semipro under 2000€... and now finally my wish has come true :-)

EDIT: Right now I'm looking for a suitable external microphone with XLR plug that will fit the camera holder (21mm/0.83") but is also usable on a boompole. The original Panasonic accessory AG-MC200G I find too expensive, and I though it would be easy to find a 100€ replacement, but after a while on CVP and Ebay I'm not so sure anymore...

EDIT2: I guess I'll go with this one and hope it's not complete junk ;-) together with a Rode Boompole 3m
http://www.ebay.de/itm/121028090964

Phil Gadd February 16th, 2013 03:41 PM

several members recommended this one to me so i bought it:

A BRAND NEW AUDIO TECHNICA AT875R MICROPHONE on eBay!

PS I ordered mine on 2nd feb and not getting till the 25th so you have done well there Ethan :-)

Ethan Arnold February 17th, 2013 05:47 AM

Hi Phil,

thanks for the tip, looks pretty good except for the freq.range starting at 90Hz... I'd be worried that would be noticable - I see other mics going down to 50,30 or even 20Hz. But they are a little longer, e.g. the Rode NTG-1 having 217mm, but I think thats still acceptable for a camera mike that will also be used on a pole. It's a little more expensive (124 EUR plus VAT compared to 116 EUR incl. VAT) too. Also the NTG-1 is 22mm diameter, 1mm too fat... I wonder if it will still fit into the holder?

regards,
Ethan

Ethan Arnold February 19th, 2013 06:09 AM

After reading some more forum entries and reviews, I've also gone and ordered the AT875R :-)
Thanks Phil!

Mike Beckett February 19th, 2013 07:16 AM

It's a great mic for the price (and I paid more than that eBay price for it). I got the AT875R because it really is very short, and less likely to appear in the corner of the picture when camera-mounted.

Be sure to get a decent wind cover for it, like a Rycote softie. Make sure that whatever it is, it doesn't have long hair that get in the way.

Ethan Arnold February 19th, 2013 02:15 PM

One more thing, although it's a little late to ask now ;-)
I assume the AG-AC90 UK model is not any different than the mainland EU model? (Except for the 230v power cable which I assume I can easily exchange for a standard one)? It records in 50p and not 60p like the U.S. model? And it has the same 3 year warranty (when registered with Panaonic)?

Phil Gadd February 19th, 2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Arnold (Post 1779749)
After reading some more forum entries and reviews, I've also gone and ordered the AT875R :-)
Thanks Phil!

Glad to help Ethan, it's been a very busy time for me buying a new imac 27 and ac90 (still not got this till the 27th though)

The guys on here recommended the mic so I just bought that one off ebay (didn't realise it doesn't come with a lead, will have to get one from somewhere)

Mike Beckett February 20th, 2013 01:28 AM

Ethan,

It's Panasonic Europe, you're OK buying it from the UK. And it will be 50p. When I registered my AC130 the Panasonic email i recieved ended with .de, so I reckon you're even more OK than me!

Mine also came with a bunch of different EU power cords as well. I assume the AC90 is the same. Failing that, it's an easy item to swap with any old power cord from other equipment.

Mike Beckett February 24th, 2013 07:07 AM

Not long to go now, Phil... excited yet? <grin>

Phil Gadd February 24th, 2013 07:57 AM

Hi Mike, cant wait BUT because there have always been delays on this I am trying not to get my hopes up.

CVP said panasonic would start shipping orders this week (to suppliers) then I will get a notification etc.

To be fair, Im getting to grips with my new 27 iMac and using some tome to train myself further on FCPX and Motion so my post editing skills get better.

Hopefully if it arrives by next weekend I can move my attention to using this camera, I feel I know some of the functionality already having the TM900, but really looking forward to testing it out :-)

Ethan Arnold February 24th, 2013 08:46 AM

I know I sure am excited :-)

I asked CVP again last thursday and they told me too, that they are expecting the distributor's delivery this week and expect to ship my order mid-week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Phil Gadd February 24th, 2013 03:17 PM

Hi mike, will the below lead suffice with the ac90 and AT975r?

Male XLR to Right Angle Female XLR Cable

Or is it this one

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/27089...var=sbar&cbt=y

Mike Beckett February 24th, 2013 03:43 PM

Hi Phil,

The CVP one looks better. You'll more than likely want the right-angle part at the mic (which is the "female" end of the cable). The eBay one seems to have the right-angle at the camera end (the male end of the cable) which I think could be awkward.

I always end up making my own cables from components, because I just can't get the right length of cable or combination of connectors to please me. They always seem to have too much cable, which only gets in the way of my clumsy hands or catches on something. But that might just be me!

re. the wait, it is awful. I was the same with my new camera, and now that I have the AC130 I've hardly touched it in two weeks, I'm embroiled in DVD production and need to get that finished first. There's always something to keep us from our toys!

Phil Gadd February 25th, 2013 01:45 AM

Thanks Mike

Never noticed that until you said. I am not best at being patient but I think it will be worth the wait :-)

Ethan, have you ordered the ac90 from CVP uk?