DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   Panasonic ag ac90 - Uk customer delays (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/514047-panasonic-ag-ac90-uk-customer-delays.html)

Phil Gadd March 5th, 2013 04:34 PM

Re: Panasonic ag ac90 - Uk customer delays

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 1782566)
I'm not sure... I mean, my AC130 came from Panasonic and not from Holdan. It could be different for different models of camera.

Phil - I can assume you're like a kid in a sweetie shop now. Let us know what your impressions of the camera are, I hope it doesn't disappoint. By all accounts, it packs a lot of punch for its price, and certainly looks the part.

Hi Mike, you are so right, I am actually even attempting to turn off the auto mode and playing with the manual modes.... vertical learning curve comes to mind. I was trying to do simple things like focusing on a near object whilst blurring the background then vice versa.. lets just say i was fumbling badly lol

The stabilising function is damn good for sure

The AC90 is exactly what i need, not over complicated for my first pro model.

Now I just need to film something!!

Ethan Arnold March 6th, 2013 08:09 AM

Finally got feedback: "Delayed until the end of March".
I guess they only get one small shipment per month, eh?

Phil Gadd March 6th, 2013 11:59 AM

Yes, I can imagine that's a Panasonic thing though, apple do the same to create a bigger demand.

It took 5 weeks all in all for mine to arrive so sit tight.

I have a little job to do tomorrow so i will see if I can upload something from the AC90

Phil Gadd March 7th, 2013 10:08 AM

Took the AC90 along today to help a friend promote his new business (care home for children).. Its a rough cut but I was able to take all the footage (including the slider) with the ac90, upload and edit (plus upload to vimeo 720p) from concept to completion in 4 hrs.. Not had time to upload 1080 yet.. includes logo animation at beginning and end too

All settings were on auto (i need to study manual more)..

Andrew Maclaurin March 8th, 2013 07:44 AM

thanks for posting your video.
i'm interested in this camera but i haven't seen that much interesting footage. did you use extra lighting? were you using gain? are you happy with the performance?

Phil Gadd March 8th, 2013 11:34 AM

Hi Andrew

No extra lighting used, I amended some colour and 'colour match' in post edit but otherwise its exactly how it was shot.

Its my first try of a pro type camera so its difficult to judge as yet, but so far I really like the stabilisation feature (very good indeed). I am really happy with this model though

Only had the camera a few days so I will post a few more videos as I do them

Andrew Maclaurin March 11th, 2013 06:50 AM

Great. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Mike Beckett March 11th, 2013 08:53 AM

It looks to have gone well Phil, it's good quality footage. The small size of the AC90 looks like it is a winner on the slider (do I remember a vertical slider shot in there?) Try doing that with my massive AC130!

Phil Gadd March 11th, 2013 09:14 AM

Yes mike, to do a vertical and 45o shot I had to buy a manfrotto bracket like this

It allowed me to angle the camera etc.. Forget to check the max holding weight but it worked great

PS do you use a slider with the 130?

Mike Beckett March 12th, 2013 04:23 AM

Phil,

I bought an original Glidecam a few years back, used it on a test video... then never used it again! It's just too much hassle for me. It would be different if I did weddings/corporate I suppose.

Peter Riding April 2nd, 2013 03:25 PM

The AC90 is showing as back in stock at long last at Creative Video (UK). Lets hope thats accurate as I've just ordered one :- ) Kinda hope nothing gets announced at NAB which may spoil my fun!

Pete

Ethan Arnold April 3rd, 2013 12:47 AM

I was contacted a few days ago, that my AC90 was now available. Meanwhile though I had taken a refund and bought a secondhand AC160 instead. After playing with it for a couple weeks, I'm very happy with it, but (after testing a Steadicam Pilot over the weekend) I've also come to the conclusion that I probably won't get into professional filming after all, so I'm considering selling it again and getting the AC90 after all.

Some interesting features the AC160 has, which I hadn't read about in any of the datasheets or manuals:
- Screw mount on top of the handle for easy low-mode mounting
- The zoom ring is not a servo driver but actually mechanical, so snap-zooms are possible (the zoom servo/manual switch mechanically disengages the servo motor from the lens)
- Unfortunately not all of the status data is displayed on the external monitor of the steadicam, it seems only the "partial" selection is displayed but not "full" (for the builtin LCD you can choose between the two) so things like iris setting, Focal length and audio level meter are not visible on the external monitor, which makes operating with a steadicam or crane less desirable

I wonder if it's the same with the AC90?

Mike Beckett April 3rd, 2013 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 1783878)
Phil,

I bought an original Glidecam a few years back, used it on a test video... then never used it again! It's just too much hassle for me. It would be different if I did weddings/corporate I suppose.

Just to correct this.... I meant Glidetrack, not Glidecam!

Phil Gadd April 3rd, 2013 09:14 AM

Thanks Mike, I knew what you meant really.

Ethan, I love the ac90 for its portability and ease of use. After just finishing a colour grand and correction tutorial I realise any post editor would hate me for not setting up scenes better i.e. WB etc

To be fair, I am a beginner to the professional side but would like to have the knowledge to operate the 160 one day (probably by then it will be a different model)

Andrew Maclaurin April 3rd, 2013 02:20 PM

phil, how did your shoot in the bar go? do you have any images to show us how the camera handle low light run and gun? it'd be great to see some!