NV-GS400 Picture! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 25th, 2004, 03:42 AM   #31
Major Player

the gs100's mic is the same as that, maybe a half a mm higher but that's it.
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:26 AM   #32
Outer Circle

I didn't realize that about the GS100---how is the GS100 built-in audio? (I read that it's pretty good.) I recall getting audio comparisons from Pana a few years back between the MX300 and MX350; and the MX300's audio was slightly better. However, there were other things slightly better with the MX350---some say it was the shape, but the big improvement was with the lens, according to Pana. You can just never win, I mean, have all the goodies slapped onto one cam for a song and a dance. Nevertheless, some of these Pana cams were and still are about the best you can get for the buck, pushing prosumer, and the last 4 flagship models certainly didn't disappoint. Number 5 won't disappoint either, hopefully. Fingers crossed. :-))

Prosumer: in-between consumer and professional, and not necessarily black. I hate that term, but I try to keep this under my hat. Oops. :-))
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 05:18 AM   #33
Major Player

Frank, as a consumer (not even qualifying for the prosumer label), I happen to think the audio on the gs100 is darned good. Not up to Douglas Spotted Eagle's standards, of course. But shooting mostly family events where there was some kind of hand mike being used, the sound has been amazingly good for just a small hand-held cam. I might add that the accessory zoom mike for the gs100 also works well for me. The muff and low-cut mode really cut down amazingly on wind noise. I was surprised. In fact, I think the last event I shot (almost all indoors) I forgot to turn off low-cut. Still good sound for all the music segments (about 80 minutes of final video, most of it instrumentals and singing), although obviously if you want just the music (or dialogue) without the background noise of people talking, something other than the onboard audio system is necessary. (I am about to become a member of the bane of you professionals types - another "Uncle Henry"- as my cousin just announced that she's telling her son I will be doing the video of his wedding when he gets married. This after she viewed the last family wedding video out of the gs100k. Admittedly standards for "free" are not all that high. Nonetheless, when your cousin tries to get you to commit to doing her son's wedding, you know that cam produces very decent audio and video, even handheld, right?)
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:01 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Kim,

A n00b question. I got the gs100 several weeks ago & I was thinking of capturing a baptism ceremony in the church this weekend. This is a a hobby <g>.

I don't have the proper lighting equipment but was wondering what effect a cheap halogen lamps, from the likes of Home Depot, will be if I use such lighting? By these I mean like the one that has two square halogen lamps on a T-bar with tripod footing.

Will those lighting be too harsh compared to the 'proper' soft lighting that pros use in studios, etc?

Or do you think I'll be better off using that 1st night mode that will brighten up the scene?

Robert
Robert Sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:17 PM   #35
Major Player

Robert, when I say I am strictly consumer, I mean it. Frank's longstanding admonition notwithstanding, I just don't carry additional lighting around with me. If it can't be captured on the gs100k using "smoothing," it doesn't get captured by me. I've done at least two events now where the sun was so bright outside that the restaurant or dining area was curtained, with just light from chandeliers and sunlight coming in around the curtain edges. I do two things: use "smoothing" (which will give you grain if it's really dark, but can, indeed, be really smooth if there's just enough light trickling in that the scene looks somewhat dark to your eye but you can still really make out most details with the naked eye) and use a plug-in while editing to lighten the scene. So I'm just no help to you, except to say that if you use halogen lighting, you will have to be careful about white balancing. (I do use the presets for sunlight, tungsten, etc., even if I'm going to use "smoothing.") My best attribute while shooting is that I seem to have very steady hands. If you can white balance correctly and keep your shots steady, the 100k may give you surprising results in "smoothing" mode without additional lighting. Try it at home and then play the tape back on your tv to check results. (May save you from a lot of glares - pun intended - from others attending the baptism.) P.S. Remember that if you use "smoothing," you must focus manually.
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Patricia,

Thanks for your input. If smoothing = manual focus then "Houston, we have a problem" I'm a Godparent & in the party ... oops.

I can set the gs100 on my bogen, keep it focused & leave it there with smoothing mode. If they don't move around the chruch I might get focused footage where it counts <g>. Maybe as a Godparent I can nudge the Priest to stop moving around & stay in one place <ggg>.

I'll play around beforehand as you suggest. At least this is a hobby so I can mess it up & be happy that I have a day job.

Thanks for your input.

Robert
Old March 25th, 2004, 03:50 PM   #37
Outer Circle

Quote:
when your cousin tries to get you to commit to doing her son's wedding, you know that cam produces very decent audio and video, even handheld, right?
I can't argue with that.

I don't know what this church looks like, Robert, but perhaps consider setting up the tripod near the front and off to one side, and try to get the whole area this preacher covers. Only zoom/pan when he goes off from this area.
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #38
Major Player

Frank, Robert is going to be in the video he shoots, since he's the godfather. The biggest headache with events like this, even if you're not in the shot, is getting a clear view, because people tend to gather in a circle (want to know how many backs and baldheads I have tried to work around?). What the best advice for avoiding that?
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:51 PM   #39
Outer Circle

Quote:
Frank, Robert is going to be in the video he shoots....
Oh, (I'm still on my first coffee since I worked late last night). That's always difficult. He should set it up on a tripod, for sure, and somewhere out of the way from people but with a clear view of where the action is going to take place---is there a balcony? Perhaps Robert knows someone trustworthy who can shoot those scenes for him.

Regarding the best advice for avoiding that, don't know. Hire me? :)) No, I would get someone else to handle those shots, someone with a bit of experience. That's a tough question to answer. Whenever I shoot stuff and should capture myself, I simply set up the cam/tripod and stroll in for an appearance or 2. But this is tough. I'd get someone else to take these. I don't see any other way.
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:12 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Patricia & Frank,

I'm gonna try the tripod route. If things don't look then at least I know the next time around.

Other than myself no one else reads Japanese that I know of. I know ... it's simple 'push this red button' but I guess I don't trust anyone with my gs100 either <g>.

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread ... bad manners on my part. I'm the one just need more java, Frank.

Robert
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #41
Major Player

Robert, if you have a wide angle lens and can get the cam set up and focused ahead of time and sort of convince people not to gather in a circle, it could work. Good luck and congratulations on becoming a godfather. Let us know how it goes.
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:30 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Okay, so to steer this back on to the subject at hand.... Anyone found/received anymore pictures of the GS400?!?!
Curtis Rhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #43
Outer Circle

No more pics and no more specs, yet. Sorry. After several e-mails to 2 Pana head offices I have receieved zip!
Old April 5th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #44
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : No more pics and no more specs, yet. Sorry. After several e-mails to 2 Pana head offices I have receieved zip! -->>>

Hi Guys,

Anyone know if the picture and specs from this link are accurate? For one, translated specs show10X optical so that's what confused me. Please advise. Thanks! : )

From Panasonic Spain. Had to translate (babelfish) the page though.

http://www.panasonic.es/fichamod.asp...demod=NV-GS400

Translated specs:
========================
CCD effective Megapíxel of 1/6"and 800K x3 píxels

Capture of fixed photo of 4 Mpixel in card SD or MMC

43 optics LEICA DICOMAR of m/m with focal length 2,85-28 m/m

Optical stabilizer of image (OIS)

Optical zoom lens x10; digitalis x20 - x100

DIGITAL VIDEOCAMERA DV OF 3 CCD

Function Web cam (USB). Photo fixes progressive to any means (tape, card SD or MMC). Screen LCD 200,000 policristalino-silicone of 3,5"and píxels. Built-in flash (GN 05). Analogical input/output and digital DV (i_Link - IEEE1394). Function of informed marks and blockade of archives. Automatic approach and ring of manual approach in objective.

=========End of Translated Specs==

Btw: Chuckmeister also has a specsheet at supervideo.
Joby Arandela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #45
Outer Circle

Thanks for that Pana link. I'll check it out. Supervideo doesn't have the full specs, just the ones I sent him via Pana.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant