GS400 tape mechanism noise in soundtrack at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 27th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #1
New Boot

GS400 tape mechanism noise in soundtrack

Testing out my GS400 I can hear a sort of low level flapping sound when playing back a tape with a very quiet background (no people talking, etc.)
If I hold my ear up to the tape transport during recording I can hear the exact same sound. Seems like this tape transport warble (flapping) sound is being recorded on the soundtrack. This occurs with 4 different types of MiniDV tape.
Panasonic Pro, TDK, Maxell, Panasonic standard tapes.

Any suggestions on what to do?
Anyone else hear this on their's? Give it a try with no sound in the room, then play it back.
Tony Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 09:37 PM   #2
New Boot

I just noticed it with mine to, have you been able to fix it.
Craig Bartelloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2004, 10:46 PM   #3
New Boot

No, I haven't done anything to fix it yet. B&H emailed me to say to call Panasonic and see what they say.

I may just use an external mike. Haven't decided yet. Another guy on the camcorderinfo.com forums has decided to send his in to Panasonic. I'm waiting to hear from him to see if they can fix it. Sounds like a tape transport tracking/tension adjustment if you ask me.

Tony
Old October 16th, 2004, 09:10 AM   #4
New Boot

Jeff Keller in his review of the Gs400 found no motor noise whatsoever. www.dvspot.com/features
Raimo Repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #5
New Boot

Hi Raimo Repo
Your right, it's not motor noise, it's the sound of the tape moving over the video heads during each revolution of the spool.

Tony
Old October 16th, 2004, 09:15 PM   #6
New Boot

I have noticed it gets better if i turn down the agc.
Old October 19th, 2004, 06:53 PM   #7
New Boot

Well I just sent mine back for replacement. Let's see if the new one iI get is better.

Craig
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:08 PM   #8
New Boot

Craig
Where did you buy it from?

Tony
Old October 19th, 2004, 08:11 PM   #9
Outer Circle

Quote:
This occurs with 4 different types of MiniDV tape. Panasonic Pro, TDK, Maxell, Panasonic standard tapes.
Maybe that's the problem. Clean your heads and stick with one good brand/model tape.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 10:59 PM   #10
New Boot

Hi Frank
This started from the first minute I tried out the camcorder. First tape was the TDK. I then tried the others, recording for only 30 seconds per tape. All had the same thing happening. It's how the camcorder is handling the tape. I tried these same tapes in my TRV900 and no problem.

I haven't cleaned the heads though. I suppose a brand new cam can have dirty heads but it doesn't show in the picture, it's pristine.

Tony
Old October 20th, 2004, 06:04 AM   #11
Outer Circle

It was just a suggestion. I found that with new cams you should clean the heads first---play a cleaning tape for about 5 seconds. Then stick with one tape brand/model. I use Fuji. If that doesn't solve the problem, contact your dealer to have it exchanged.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 09:18 PM   #12
New Boot

I bought mine from ebay user hotdigital/focus camera.com

I returned it Monday and just got a new one today, that sounds much better.

Craig
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #13
New Boot

There was tremendous hype about the GS400 before its advent but for me there has been precious little info about its performance in the hands of forum members. Now we hear about tape transport noise as a problem with the Gs400. There are many reports now on other forums about it and many have sent their units back. Now here are the reasons for this post: Is this tape noise an inherent feature of this cam or just the odd aberration of manufacture? One can hardly expect to go to a store and ask a sealed unit after unit to be opened and tested for tape mechanism noise! Just how annoying is this noise? I was on the verge of getting one of these cams but I guess now I will monitor this issue for awhile. I would appreciate hearing more from members about this issue and anything else about this cam. Thanks
Raimo Repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #14
Major Player

It seems that there are some folks who are having problems with the tape transport making noise that is loud enough to be picked up by the microphones. It appears to be a carriage (transport) issue on the new GS series. The transport is constructed with much less material than the DV953 so it is smaller which may be an issue. I don't have this problem with my GS400 or GS120. Also, it is hard to gauge the extent of the problem since many folks seem to be happy with their cams.

These are great cams and I wouldn't let this problem delay a purchase. Just make sure you buy from a reputable dealer that will allow you to return the cam if it doesn't perform as expected.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 04:56 PM   #15
Major Player

If you believe you are having tape transport noise problems, please read this thread for a link to an audio file that illustrates the problem.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant