Anyone read this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old November 18th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #1
Trustee

Anyone read this?

Hello everyone,

I just read this article.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...c-PV-GS400.htm

May I ask how to verify it?

Does this defect apply to japanese version of GS400?

Will Panasonic New Zealand fix the camera bought in Japan as this is not user's fault?

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #2
Wrangler

Interesting, Leigh does your GS400 exhibit this problem?

Quote:
Will Panasonic New Zealand fix the camera bought in Japan as this is not user's fault?
Not likely. You always want to have the item serviced in its intended country of sale.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #3
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Tommy Haupfear : Interesting, Leigh does your GS400 exhibit this problem?
-->>>

I don't know.

That is the reason I ask how to verify the problem.

I shot some 20 minutes video and my dad was talking in that video. But the back ground is very noisy as I shot near the road. There were cars driving by. So I can't hear the noise of the camera, only car's sound. My dad's voice was quite clear in that video anyway. 8)

Anyway, I will not bother about that one, as shipping cost to Japan is not worth me to try if I do found the problem. I would simply buy an external microphone which is cheaper than the shipping cost to Japan.

Regards
Leigh
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Anyway, I will not bother about that one, as shipping cost to Japan is not worth me to try if I do found the problem. I would simply buy an external microphone which is cheaper than the shipping cost to Japan.
I'd say that is good logic. :)
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:53 PM   #5
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Tommy Haupfear : I'd say that is good logic. :) -->>>

Poorman's solution. 8 )
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #6
Major Player

From what I've been told by owners with the tape transport alignment problem, the noise is audible away from the camcorder. So adding an external mic won't fix the problem. The problem has been reported in both PAL and NTSC countries, including Australia. I don't know if it has been reported in Japan. If you haven't noticed a cat purring-like noise on your recordings, then it is likely that your GS400 doesn't have the problem. However, it may eventually develop the problem because a few owners reported that it started after they had used the camcorder for a while.

Several owners have "fixed" the problem by putting a soft piece of material inside the black clamshell that presses on the tape transport back and compresses the tape onto the reels. This should not be considered a permanent repair and may void the warranty.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:36 PM   #7
Trustee

That sounds terrible.
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:21 PM   #8
Outer Circle

Also, Panasonic has yet to address that issue. All they said was that they'll look into it. That was over 3 weeks ago.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Well, Panasonic US has admitted the problem and said they would fix it without charge.
Old November 18th, 2004, 08:50 PM   #10
Major Player

I spoke with Panasonic Japan recently on this matter. Their safe reply was, that a faint sound of tape movement COULD be audible especially if you place you ear directly on the cam, but as long as the 8mm projector-like sound is not audible in your recording, then it should be ok (the high frequency motor hum will be there of course and could only be minimized if you turn off AGC and set the mic sensitivity to absolute min). If that kind of noise is audible away from the cam, then definitely the highly sensitive built-in mic is going to pick that up.

In any case if you have even the slightest concern that your cam's tape transport (cassette holder in Japan :)) might be too noisy or exhibiting "white noise" (pun intended) or gata-gata (Japanese for rattling) sound, Panasonic Japan suggested a diagnostic test/inspection (that's the only way to ascertain). That process (including repair/adjustments if necessary) takes only a week in Tokyo but certainly very inconvenient for those who have bought from outside Japan.

So far, I have sent 11 black GS400s to NA and nobody has complained yet about the cat. Haven't read any complaints about this matter in any Japanese site yet. My GS400 has the normal hum, but I'd like to minimize that thus I'm searching for a used external mic.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 08:53 PM   #11
Major Player

Allan,
Have you listened to the audio files that illustrate the problem? It is VERY noticeable. And, more new purchasers are posting that they are having this problem even with replacement units.
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #12
Major Player

Yes I've listened to that audio file and it is terrible. Just curious how amplified that sample was? I tested both my cams and I'm getting a similar (but faint) sound from my 3-year old Optura100 that is audible only when I stuck my ear to the cam. However, it is not at all audible in actual recording in a quiet room even if I turn up the TV volume to the max. I don't know if my Optura had that cat sound from the very beginning or not, but it would be interesting to find out if other makes do make that sound.

Anyway, if I were getting a similar cat-purring noise in my recording, I would definitely run back to my dealer right away or directly to Panasonic, although at this point, I think result would be more guaranteed by going straight to Panasonic because as you mentioned, even replacement units could exhibit the same problem. I am not sure but I think the standard procedure for Japanese companies is the immediate replacement of parts (instead of trying to make adjustments or modifications) because it is easier (and perhaps cheaper) that way.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:08 PM   #13
Outer Circle

Guy, is there a Pana USA link about this problem? I'd like to read it. Thanks.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 03:40 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Is Panasonic USA able to fix the problem with part replacement ?

I would really like to buy the GS400 but is now sounds like more of a gamble.
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 06:46 AM   #15
Major Player

Frank,
There is no link that I know of on the Pana US site. The closest you will come, most likely is here. Let me know if you have browser problems and I'll get it to you some other way.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant