DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   DVX100 -- various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/10753-dvx100-various-topics.html)

Val Rio July 22nd, 2004 12:38 PM

settings for anamorphic lens

I just purchased the anamorphic lens for my DVX100A and am having problems. Firstly - what screen setting should I use - standard, letterbox or squeeze? It seems that none of the settings work correctly. In standard mode, there are black bars on either end after transferring into Vegas video - in the widescreen modes the images are squished. Also is there a special way to attach it and configure it, i.e. making sure it is perfectly square? Also, the focusing is not that great. Is says to use manual focus - which I did and I cannot focus at a distance less than 3 or 4 feet. Also the lens doesn't seem to be that great of quality for a $850 lens. Anyone else have these problems. Thanks, Val

Barry Green July 22nd, 2004 04:58 PM

The anamorphic lens can yield superb results, or it can yield lousy results. You really have to know how to work with it to get the best from it. I've just published a guide that describes in detail what you have to do, and how to do it, to get the very best results from the anamorphic adapter. It's available at http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/anaguide/

As for what mode to shoot in, for 16:9 you want to use "normal" mode. For a 2.35:1 aspect ratio you'd want to use "letterbox" mode. You never want to use "squeeze mode" together with the anamorphic. As far as editing in Vegas, just make sure you're using an NTSC Widescreen project preset, and then in the media pool you have to right-click on your anamorphic clips and change the aspect ratio to be "NTSC DV Widescreen (1.2)"... then your clips should all work properly in their full widescreen magnificence.

As for attaching the lens, squaring it up, focusing it, etc -- that's all covered in the guide.

Mason Cooley July 29th, 2004 01:04 PM

Camera Bag Recommendations?

Which camera bag do most of you recommend for the DVX100A?

I would prefer it to be on the small side.

Looking at the Petrol PCUB-1 - 150 bucks.

Thanks

Chris Hurd August 4th, 2004 07:43 AM

Petrol makes some great stuff. You might want to also consider Kata and PortaBrace. They all have smaller soft-sides and semi-rigids that are perfect for the DVX.

Zareh Tjeknavorian August 12th, 2004 07:07 AM

25p shutter speed (dvx100a PAL)

The manual recommends 1/50 as the shutterspeed for shooting in 25P.

I'm curious if anyone out there has experimented with shutter speeds for this camera and what you've learned - and can recommend - from your experiences.

Peter Jefferson August 12th, 2004 07:30 AM

the slower the shutter, the blurier the motion

at 25p, you could end up with a mash of images if theyre fast paced. mind u at this speed (1/25th) ull be gettin alot more light it... thing is u can always use the gain to offset the loss of light from using a faster shutter..

James Emory August 19th, 2004 10:18 PM

XL-1 & DVX100 - intercam playback issues?

Does anyone know of any playback, audio and/or video, issues of tapes recorded in an XL-1 and played back in a DVX or issues with the same scenerio but in LP.

James Emory August 20th, 2004 01:21 PM

Other intercam playback issues

Ok. According to this post, apparently this is a common issue especially with LP speed.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=30346

Sharon Fraats August 22nd, 2004 02:06 AM

Please let me know what you think of the footage of our latest film

We just finished the importing and are now getting ready to post it on DVD.
If you go to the below site and to the right there is a button for a clip of the film just wanted to know what you guys think of the footage.

The movie is in Syrian there will be subtitles in two weeks.

It was shot with a two DVX100 as all camera setups were two cameras all lighting was KinoFlo budget for filming was 35,000 with 30,000 for showing around the USA and selected area around the world. I was one of the Line-Producers. Cinemaphotographer was JB he is well known in Chicago and is good with a DVX100.

Please let me know what you think as we are getting to go for release and we are looking for opions to the lighting and frame setups.

Will have newer link Tuesday ....SORRY

Sharon Fraats August 22nd, 2004 09:46 AM

I found a direct link to the video....

Will have newer link on Tuesday

John Gaspain September 7th, 2004 01:33 PM

Is the DVX100a overall better than the DVC30 and worth the extra $1k

Im torn between a DVC30 for $1,899.00 or a DVX100a for $2,989.00. The cam will be used for snow sports and a short film or two. I dont need 24p, but the 30p of the DVX would be nice.

My question is, is it worth the extra $1000?

Jeremy Bond September 7th, 2004 02:27 PM

Colour bar

I can see what the colour bar is and I read somewhere that it shoudl be used as a marker (?) at the beginning of each tape (shoot?), but why? what is it for? does little old me going from DVX100 into computer need to know about this/use it? Thanks for your help.

Peter Jefferson September 7th, 2004 03:42 PM

hmm....

low light, variable cinegama, variable matrix, inbuilt xlrs, kick ass viewfinder, wider lense, true progressive... theyre the only difference i can think of right now...

i was lookin at a dvc30, but they didnt have any and coz i need it for a project, i had no choice but to upgrade to the dvx..

i like the dvc30, and for ur use, its perfect as it offers a longer zoom and is MUCH smaller (about the size of the DVX lens) and if u wanted to upgrade the audio u could get the XLR adapter...

hmm.. im still tryin to determine if my purchase was worth it.. see for me in the longrun havibg 2 dvx100 "looks" better for potential future work, as when im workin a wedding, people are impressed by the gear... i know it sounds shallow, but people are like that..

Jesse Bekas September 8th, 2004 12:03 PM

For editing and color correction purposes putting color bars on the begining of a tape will give the editor/corrector a standard to judge the camera's color by, or allow two cameras to be matched up more easily. The bar generator could also be used to calibrate the cameras EVF/LCD, or a monitor hooked up to the cam.

Charles J. Rivera September 12th, 2004 11:32 AM

Uncompressed Modification for DVX100a

hi

Just read about an uncompressed modification for the DVX100a on another forum of a guy named Juan or something.

does anyone have more info regarding this and if it actually works?

i just received my DVX100a on friday and this sounds really interesting
to add this feature to my camera.

any comments or links would be appreciated.

regards,
Charles