Evening night shot effect with the DVX - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old December 21st, 2003, 03:06 PM   #16
Major Player

Ozan biron was pretty close. All you need is a good 35MM slr, good tripod, chalk and a measuring tape. I went down to a street corner at about 7:30pm and took my measuring tape and measured about 15ft across this corner. I then made marks with the chalk starting every 1/4 inch, then 1/2 inch and finally going up to about 2 inches. These marks were basically tripod placements. I wanted it to ease in and out hence starting with teh quarter inch. I had two identical lines for two of the tripod legs, this let me keep the camera pointed in a single direction. I used 100ASA Kodak gold with a 35 sec exposure on each frame. This was kind of a test so next time I want to use a dolly to get a much smoother motion. I'm a digital artist at a local photography store, so I got my film developed for free. I think I used 5 rolls alltogether. I then scanned each frame and imported them into after effects 6. I used the steady move plugin (without zoom) to smooth out the motion. I made each frame about 15% larger than the 720x480 so that the steady move plugin would not lose any resolution when evening out my footage. So that's my secret, I hope this helps. By the way it is a slow and tedious process, so make sure you have lots of time on your hands. It took about 2 1/2 hours to film and about another 1 1/2 for the after effects work, all for a 5 second shot.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2003, 11:37 PM   #17
New Boot

Thanks, I appreciate the reply and I appreciate your skill and cleverness in working all that out.

Joe
Joe Romano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 12:53 PM   #18
New Boot

Obtaining this effect in video is impossible. Try using a Nizo super8 camera. It's perfect for this kind of job and gives a superb quality.
Joan d'Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 09:59 PM   #19
Regular Crew

AH HA! Ive done it!!! "It is possbile"

Take a look of my VIDEO test i did with my 100a... still needs a little tweaking but gives the same effect as film!

Take a look...

http://www.illconcepts.com/videotest.mpg
Ozan Biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 12:56 PM   #20
Regular Crew

care to tell us how u did it? can i do that with my dvx100 (no "a")?
Dan Lahav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #21
Trustee

Wow, that is definitely a nice effect. Do tell!
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant