Evening night shot effect with the DVX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old December 10th, 2003, 10:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Evening night shot effect with the DVX

Can I do this with the DVX? If so.... how should I set up for it? What settings are best?

URL link...

http://www.illconcepts.com/highway.jpg
Ozan Biron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 12:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Wow. That's some serious time lapse there.

I do know the DVX can be set to record at interval (Time Lapse) recording with adjustable record duration and interval time (their exact words in fact). I have not personally tried it but...

I suggest getting out your user manual and giving it a shot. The best thing is to experiment. I always thought this technique was done by slowing down the exposure time on a frame of film. I wonder if the DVX is suited for this.

Hmmm... I have no idea how the DVX would do. Start trying different settings I guess. As far as Scene File settings go, I would first capture as normal to see what settings you like.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 02:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The first thing i tired was recording 5 minutes of car footage. Then in post I speeded it up. Looked liked poo!

Maybe playing around with the shutter speed? will that do anything? Or is there an effect in after affects that i can apply to achive that light streak effect.
Old December 11th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

The DVX100A might be able to do better on this, since it has slow shutter speeds down to 1/4-second...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #5
Major Player

Yeah, this is a result of slow shutter speed, not time lapse, I believe. It's easy to do this with still photography, since an SLR camera will let you keep the shutter open for a very long time if you want to. Video is harder, but if what Barry says is right, you might be able to with the DVX100a. I'm not sure how slow the shutter can be set for the original DVX100, but it might not be slow enough to produce this effect. Try it out with the slowest shutter speed you can achieve and let us know!
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #6
Major Player

Jaime is correct -- took the words out of my mouth

I know a guy who does a lot of looooong exposures with still photography -- as in having a shutter open for hours. Some of it is really beautiful stuff. And difficult to reproduce in video, just like really good, film-like slo-mo is hard to do in video.

I image that you could do a combo of slow shutter speed with layering multiple copies of the shot in After Effects, with each layer being slightly advanced in time, with the opacities set at 30%-50%. Maybe add some blending modes like Overlay as well...

And make sure you've got one sturdy and steady tripod!
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #7
Regular Crew

small assist

easy access ...

http://www.illconcepts.com/highway.jpg

K. Mikel Low
Mikel Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:23 PM   #8
Major Player

THere is a difference between using a slow shutter for a single photograph and for video. Obviously, if your video is playing back at 24 or 30fps, any shutter speed slower than that will not give you smooth motion. For a single photo however, your exposure can be as long as you want it to be. Therefore, my question is, what type of effect are you really trying to achieve. Do you want a long exposure video? If so I have been doing some experiments with this. First prize goes to anyone that can figure out how I did it. If you think about it, it really isn't that hard.

Here is the link
http://www.stefweb.net/test.mov
Sorry for the compression, I wanted everyone to be able to view it easily.
Stefan Scherperel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:48 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I am trying to achieve the streaming light effect from traffic during a time lapse on video...

I guess your movie was done with a series of still photos... put together as a sequence?!?
Old December 11th, 2003, 09:58 PM   #10
Skyonic New York

what your looking for is motion blur...

motion blur will blur anything in your scene that has motion, in your example the cars would be nothing but streaks of light going by but the light poll would remain untouched

we do this a lot, especially with subway shots...very cool effect

but you have to remmeber that objects that are not moving need to be kept still other wise the audience will not be fooled...

i know of no way to re-create that in a video camera, adjusting the shutter will stutter the cars but not make them smooth...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 10:13 PM   #11
Regular Crew

hmmmm...

i'll try the motion blur effect in after effects... Im also going to try an echo effect on the video... with blur... maybe that could do it?!?
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:14 AM   #12
Major Player

Correct me if I am wrong, but the standard Motion Blur effect in After Effects only applies to objects animated within AE, does it not?

I've always though that the Motion Blur option (as available via the checkbox in the Timeline) did *not* affect any preexisiting motion within a clip. Have I been using MB incorrectly (or at least not to its full potential) all this time?
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 10:27 AM   #13
Skyonic New York

John,

You are correct, but i wasn't talking about ae at all, and i should have specified that ...I was talking about my canopus card where it's called motion blur...

i looked in my ae toolbox and could not find a filter that does this...but i'm sure there must be one out there...

look for motion blur, or trail...(ps i have tinder box trail plugin it does not do the same thing)
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 01:19 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Try "Frame Blending" when you speed up your footage in After Effects.
Kenn Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2003, 09:03 AM   #15
New Boot

Wow, stefan, that is a cool effect. I don't guess i'll get first prize, because all i can think of is that you kept the camera open using long exposure times , but then the moon would be a streak instead of moving across the sky. it seems like a combo some how of interval exposure and long shutter speeds. Anyway, it has been over a week, perhaps you would email me and tell me how you have done it. ( I need a similar effect, different application) or you could give us all an early Christmas present and tell us here. I am VERY interested! Thanks for showing the clip!

Joe
Joe Romano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant