Various questions about Panasonic DVC and DVX - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old February 23rd, 2003, 09:28 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Rack focus anyone?

Has anyone made any successful attempts using the focus numbers in the VF to pull off rack focus? I am wondering if the servo controlled focus enables the lens to come back to the same spot once the ring has been turned. I am about to buy this cam so the last thing I want to check on is the focus. I am not crazy about the servo focus but if it really works then that is good enough for me. I am also curious about critical focus. Can you zoom all the way in, focus then zoom out to frame the shot and the lens stays where it is supposed to--not drift (i.e. XL1 focus going soft at wide angle)?

Thanks,

Will Boggs
DustBowl Productions
Will Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 08:48 AM   #17
New Boot

DVX100 or DVC180

hi buds!
Panasonic has released a new model in my country, model is DVC180. I knew the model same as DVX100 in U.S and other area. But I found a big different that DVC180 is 25P but ain't 24P.

I guess the different bucause broadcast system, PAL system is 50i, so use to our area model need some change... but I don't know what different at 25P mode than 24P, please tell me, THX!
Rocky Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 11:34 AM   #18
Tourist

Are you happy with your PAL?

PAL DVX 100 are being sold in some European places... are you happy with a PAL unit? is it the same as an NTSC ? (except the 24/25p and resolution issues)

How much does it cost?

Thanks a lot
Felipe Matilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 08:19 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Dvx100e (pal) - 3142$

globalmedia pro e.shop, based in london, offer the pal version for 3142.00$
anyone experienced / know anything about them??

https://www.globalmediapro.com/av/index.cgi?topic=panasdvcam&action=readmore&item=31161
Shai Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2003, 10:19 AM   #20
Regular Crew

What settings do you have in 25p cine mode?

What settings do you have in 25p cine mode? (in order, please). I found very good to have the chroma at +4 or +5.

Why does it recomend to have the iris at -1? ANd the master ped at -3?

This is what i have now:
detail level +1
chroma level +5
chroma phase 0
color temp 0
masetr ped 0
a iris level -1
gamma cine-like
skin tone On
matrix Cine like
detail thick

I still don´t understand too much the difference of Gamm (well, cine-like certainly does not have too much contrast, but at low or norm, colors appear much better) and matrix (i do not know what it does, no idea, and where to use different modes).

Thanks for your answers
Miguel Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 03:32 AM   #21
Major Player

A question for Miguel

So have you been able to improve the image quality on a standard PAL monitor yet? I noticed that you were disappointed with the DVX100E when you first got it, because you said the computer image was nice, but that the standard monitor image wasn’t.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #22
New Boot

Hi all I'm a Newbie...

Just wanted to say hi...I just bought two pannies for a little show I'm getting together...I'm a Cinematographer in Miami and I must say I'm really impressed with these little things...I didn't think tape would look this good in my lifetime...I did a search for a follow focus and I was wondering if anyone owns the Cavision on here...They have one for a great price but I was looking for some real world feedback...Thanks!!!
Teo Coxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 07:10 PM   #23
New Boot

Wide Angle

Do you think it would be possible for any of you guys to post some screen captures of the difference with the .07x adaptor and the normal on baord lens. Thanks in advance guys.
Mike Curcuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #24
Space Hipster

Vegas 4.0b update to fully support AG-DVX100

Should be available on Monday:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030404/45170_1.html

:)
Old April 7th, 2003, 08:22 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Cinemascope lens rigged to DVX....

http://owyheesound.com/Motion_Pictur.../dv-scope.html

Anybody seen this or tried it? How well did it work? Bausch & Lomb cinemascope projector lenses sell on ebay for about $25....
Todd Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Volume control for Monitoring Audio Recording Level Using Headphone

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of the proud owners of DVX100 knew how to adjust the volume of the headphone when monitoring recording audio levels?

The default level seems to be ted too low for accurate judement for audio levels.

Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old April 21st, 2003, 07:20 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Difference between DVX100 and XL1S PAL?

Hi forum,
I read somewhere that the colors (not to mention the 24p feature) should be amazing on the DVX100 compared to the XL1S (NTSC I assume).
But I wonder what the differences would be if you compared the DVX100 to the XL1S PAL. Anyone?
Old April 29th, 2003, 04:44 AM   #28
Major Player

Hidden Diagnostic Menu

Saw this over at 2-pop:

Here's how to access the hidden diagnostic menu in the AG-DVX100:

Simultaneously press and hold the AudioDub button and the Rewind button, then press Menu. It'll bring up the regular menu and you'll see there are two new menus, #8 and #9.

CAUTION IS ADVISED. These menus are probably best used by someone who knows what the heck they're doing, and you can probably mess up your camera if you don't know what you're doing!

Very interesting. Thanks to ICExpo for the post. Perhaps Steve Mullen could say some things about these menus (other than avoid them, which I'm going to do anyway until more is determined).
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:44 PM   #29
Regular Crew

DVX 100 vs GL-1, no GL-2

I tested my good old GL-1 side by side with the DVX100. We shot the Canon how I usually rig it: in frame mode, auto white balance and a Tiffen polarizer with a warming filter with manual exposure, keeping the shutter at 1/60th. We shot the Panasonic in 30P with default gamma and 24P with cinegamma, without filters. Both progressive modes on the DVX 100 looked significantly better than the Canon. We shot around 3 p.m. on the coast of Santa Cruz, CA. One scene was surfers catching waves. The GL-1 couldn't capture the contrast range. Once the waves got white and frothy, the highlights blew out completely. The DVX 100 was able to hold on to the highlights and dark water. In another instance, in order to properly expose for the surfers' faces, the Canon lost the detail in their dark wet-suits. Again the DVX 100 was able to hold both. I love the GL-1 frame mode, but it looked uncomfortably soft side by side with the DVX footage. Both had the "film-like" look, but the Canon was soft. Overall, I preferred the color rendition of the Canon compared to the DVX in default gamma, which I perceived as bluish/neutral (of course I did have a warming filter on the GL-1!). However, I loved the look of the DVX cinegamma. Also, I didn't care for the look of 24P on the waves. I definitely noticed the stroby look, but it 30P, it looked lovely. If I bought a DVX 100, I would shoot it in 30P with cinegamma. HOWEVER, the GL-1 has twice the optical zoom - a big advantage over the DVX 100! And I own all this stuff for the GL-1 and XL-1.

So, in fact, after all that, I still have a question. When I told a friend about my test, he said, "Well, that was the GL-1! Did you test it against a GL-2?" Um, no. So now I'm wondering if anyone else has looked at side by side footage with the GL-2 and the DVX 100. I primarily shoot natural history documentary footage for museums. It's never going to film. Has the picture quality improved enough on the GL-2 to give the DVX 100 a run for its money? But that 20x lens on the Canon...

LS-A
Lisa Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2003, 09:38 PM   #30
New Boot

DVX100 questions

I shoot a fil with 3 canon xl1's here is the footage:
http://www.vispol.com/LifeXtreme/liextremetrailer.mpg

I'm thinking about purchasing the Pana 24P. I use Canopus dvrex to edit; I don't thing it supports 24p. I won't be transfering to film. The lietreme film part will be sold for braodcast and dvd distribution, but I want that film look when it's shot on 24p mode. Is there anyway to copy the DV footage and input at 30 frames into the system firewire and edit at regular speed? Is the footage clarity better than Canon XL1's? How about playback and going SVHS cables in to NLE---than it becomes 30fps, but the quality drops (I bet)? You guys are probably saying shoot 30---isn't than the same as Canon XL1 footage?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant