Panasonic DVX / DVC Battery topics at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 9th, 2002, 12:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Panasonic DVX / DVC Battery topics

Just found out about this battery made by Panasonic.

Model Number - CGR-D53 5300mAh, 14.6 oz (415g)

It looks like it's a belt battery with a attachment that connects to the back of the AG-DVX100.
Ted Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2002, 01:32 AM   #2
Outer Circle

I think that's the same one for the MX500/0.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2002, 10:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

yeah....it looks like Panasonic is using the same batteries for the AG DVX100 as their consumer line stuff.
Ted Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2002, 10:00 PM   #4
donking!

Are there third party companies, then, that make batteries that will work in the DVX100? If so, what are they?
Old October 15th, 2002, 01:41 AM   #5
Wrangler

Yes, it's the same batteries as the consumer lines, meaning wider availability and cheaper prices. I have the Panasonic waist belt version. It's actually very light, small and can even go into a pocket.

Sabah Oceanic makes the compatible batteries and I remember reading some posts that they ship very fast (2 days) considering they're on the other side of the world.

http://www.sabahoceanic.com/vpanasonic.html
Terrence Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2002, 12:39 PM   #6
donking!

I wonder if using the waist belt battery would mess up the balance on the DVX100 (which is supposed to be so well balanced). It would effectively remove most of the battery weight from the back of the camera.
Old October 15th, 2002, 08:00 PM   #7
Wrangler

The piggyback 2.8Ah batt is quite light by itself; it shouldn't make a big difference to the balance. If you're paranoid, I guess you can stick some 'counter-weight' on the interface plate :)

The belt version should be used only if continous power is needed for long periods or when swapping batteries is impractical.

On the Pana website, there appears to be an adapter for Anton Bauer (belt) batteries.
Old October 17th, 2002, 08:38 PM   #8
New Boot

Sony Battery adapter for DVX100

Armato's Pro Digital (www.armatos.com) plan on making an adapter for the DVX100 that allows it to use Sony infolithium L batteries. These are the same high capacity batteries used by the PD-150.

While I did not get a release date for the adapter they did ask if I wanted to add it to my current DVX100 order with them which should be shipping at the end of the month.

Armato's currently makes this adapter for the JVC GY-300.

The adapter should retail for $95.

Also, I noticed on the Japanese DVX100 Fan page that there seems to be a lithium ion battery Panasonic manufactures that is the higher capacity 7.2V 5,400mA battery that should give the DVX a 5 hour run time. This seems to be built like a standard battery pack that snaps to the back of the camera and different from the beltpack sold here in the US.

Link for the DVX100 fan page is: http://www.geocities.jp/sumi653/

The page showing the battery is shown on page 3 of the web site. You can reach it by clicking on the link item posted at the top of the web site marked "3. " right next to the link named " 4. MAIN PANEL" and top of the "8. MENU LIST" on the links at the top of the page.

The catalog # is VW-VBD55. This is probably only relevant to the Japanese market though.

Could this be a new battery from Panasonic and, if yes, will it be available in the US and elsewhere soon?

Both of these products should help deal with the power issues associated with this camera.

Brian
Brian Timmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 09:01 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Good info -- thanks Brian,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2002, 09:52 PM   #10
donking!

What's the advantage of Sony's infolithium battery?
Old October 18th, 2002, 09:43 AM   #11
Wrangler

The Sony Infolithium when used with Sony cams allows more accurate remaining time monitoring in the viewfinders. This obviously works with Sony cams as dedicated circuitry and connectors are required.

Without this metering available, I personally see no advantage in using the Sony batts on the Pana cam, unless you already own a big collection of Infolithiums. If not, the additional cost of the adapter and charger may not be worth it. The Panasonic Li-ions are not that expensive and performs flawlessly, in my 18 months of use with the MX300. The MX300's consumption is about 2/3 that of the DVX100 and I can usually get by with two 2.8AH on a eight hour shooting day. YMMV.
Old November 1st, 2002, 04:30 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Batteries for DVX100

What is the longest lasting battery available for the DVX100 and where is the best place to purchase it?
Taro Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2002, 04:32 AM   #13
Major Player

batteries

http://www.sabahoceanic.com/vpanasonic.html
best deal i've seen so far.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2002, 04:35 PM   #14
Regular Crew

ok, but which ones?

So which of those are the longest lasting (obviously the higher mAh, but what effect does voltage have)?

Also, what batteries does everyone out there use? I'm looking at getting a longer on-camera, as well as a CGR-D53A... any suggestions for a good on camera model? Thanks.

Moore

(Ok, I just read some more specs on the DVX100, looks like it only takes 7.2V, so nevermind the first part of the question.)
Jason D. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2002, 05:15 PM   #15
New Boot

Are the batteries at the site listed above compatible with the DVX100? And why are they so cheap?
Adam Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant