First Impression - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old March 4th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: First Impression

Thanks Brian, a lot. A little research late last night, and I came to the conclusion the K mount was what I was looking for, but I wasn't sure. I did find adapters as well. Appreciate you confirming.
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Brian, check this link and see if your're interested. Upon researching it, I found some folks have said it is not a very good lens. Do you know anything about it?

Pentax-M 1:2 50mm LX ME K1000 K110 K7 KX Super Program - eBay (item 160552424703 end time Mar-29-11 11:01:50 PDT)

Last edited by Jeff Harper; March 4th, 2011 at 07:22 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Duplicate post.
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Brian, I'm certain to order the Sigma for Canon 30mm 1.4, a favorite of mine from a couple of years ago.

How do I know which Pentax will work for GH2? Can you post a link for the adapter?

I've been looking for it, but don't know what I"m looking for, I've been on ebay, etc, but there are varieties that confuse me, and on amazon they cost $350 (probably worth every penny, but still).
Jeff you may want to check out this little lens, The SLR Magic 35mm f/1.7 MC lens. Seems to be a lot of buzz on the SLR Magic lens. Its quite cheap. Just go to ebay and do a search for SLR Magic. Its some guy in Hong Kong that is selling them. They apprear to be a lot of fun to use. Very shallow DOF. This a video shot buy someone (Evan Lloyd) just using the little SLR Magic on a GH2.

(Nice job Evan)

Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Jim, thank you so much for posting, quite a little lens, and for the money, amazing! Reviews I looked up after seeing your post indicate, IMO, this little gem of a lens may not be for me. It is said to be a bit soft and quirky, albeit in a good way, for those who like it. Obviously it is not soft in the video! But for wedding work it may be tough to focus, and I strongly prefer the sharpest focus I can afford.

As tight as money is, I'm going to hold off, with the knowledge I can by it anytime, since it seems plentiful.

What's cool is knowing about it, thanks so much!
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #21
Major Player

Yeah its definitely not a main lens but for the money its a fun lens and perhaps could be used for portrait shots or close ups. It is fast and cheap, used just for little projects.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Exactly, at that price it's almost a throwaway lens...you could lose it and not be distraught about it!
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Brian, check this link and see if your're interested. Upon researching it, I found some folks have said it is not a very good lens. Do you know anything about it?

Pentax-M 1:2 50mm LX ME K1000 K110 K7 KX Super Program - eBay (item 160552424703 end time Mar-29-11 11:01:50 PDT)
Didn't know they made a 1.2. I have the 1.4 and the 1.8. the 1.4 is the one that is popular.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Yes, in the photography forums they strongly prefer the 1.4.
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Didn't know they made a 1.2. I have the 1.4 and the 1.8. the 1.4 is the one that is popular.
I might be reading it wrong but look again I think its a f2 lens and not a f1.2
David Grinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #26
Inner Circle

It's an f/1.2 David. It's uncommon, but not popular, because it is not the quality of the 1.4. I found a discussion about the lens, it is not unknown. They can be had for as low as $30 I saw somewhere. I would have jumped on it, but it not a good lens, according to other professionals. If it were, they would not be on ebay in such quantity. That's why it seems to good to be true.

If you find out differently, please let us know, and save one for me!
Old March 4th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #27
Trustee

The lens in the link is in fact an f/2. (Note it is a colon not a period between the numbers). Because aperture is relative to the focal length it is sometimes displayed as a ratio - So 1:2 means the same as f/2. F/1.2 displayed as a ratio would be 1:1.2.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Well, don't I feel dumb. I did a search, and there are people using what they think is an f/1.2. I guess there must be some out there, but this is not it, thanks John.

Oh and David you were right, of course.

Further searching and I think you are correct Brian, I don't think there is an f.1.2

Last edited by Jeff Harper; March 5th, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Ok I got my rig in from Jag35... I like it a lot so far, its simple enough for run and gun, and I can always add to it later if I need to.... so its definitely a worthwhile investment.

I'm really eyeballing the follow focus, but im going to take this rig out and shoot some with it to see if I would benefit from adding one, or if I can just save the money for something else like a good monitor ( I have one now but its not to great)

Also I have added some pics of my DIY battery setup, it should last at least 7 hours on one charge and charges in 1 hour!! altogether cost me $90!
Attached Thumbnails
First Impression-img_0001.jpg   First Impression-img_0002.jpg  

First Impression-3.jpg   First Impression-4.jpg  

Last edited by David Grinnell; March 5th, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
David Grinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #30
Major Player

I notice there are not any holes to mount additional hot shoes or attachments for a monitor and mikes etc.
How are you going to mount a monitor and wireless transmitter? Just curious.
Not sure what I am going to get yet but I am leaning toward
indiSYSTEM - ULTRAcompact

The fluid head of the Manfrotto looks appealing too, especially with the little spread feet.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/737980-REG/Manfrotto_561BHDV_1_Fluid_Video_Monopod_W_Head.html

Last edited by Jim Forrest; March 6th, 2011 at 08:55 AM.
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series