ENG lenses adapted to GH cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old April 5th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #1
New Boot

ENG lenses adapted to GH cameras

greetings,

there are a lot of TV zoom lenses for sale on ebay. Has anyone had experiences adapting these? Also, specifically, there are canon c-mount, fujinon and canon xl lenses that are fast and parafocal. While these would not be as sharp as the newest products, I wonder whether they are being used.
Darrell Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: ENG lenses adapted to GH cameras

There are a few examples of TV zooms being adapted to the GH2 and other DSLR cameras (a couple seem to create decent footage) but there are a number of limitations due the large size of the imaging chip in the GH series. These lenses usually only work in the ETC mode otherwise the image is confined to the center of the shot surrounded by black. There is a possibility of an adapter the allows the use of the whole 4/3 chip but I haven't heard of an example and it would be a very bulky adapter. Second, many of the used lenses available are from old SD cameras and the quality of the HD image would be very soft, possibly with chromatic aberrations on the edges of anything with sharp edges in the image. Third, some lenses are potentially too big for the camera and would require additional support to prevent damage to the GH body.
Old April 7th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the detailed reply.
Darrell Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I was just sent a link to an example using a Canon lens: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...h-cameras.html . This person is using a lens which has a mechanical 2X adapter built in. He keeps on so he doesn't need to activate the ETC on the camera. Makes for a good, par-focal telephoto lens, not so good for wide angle. A workable option if you have a lot of telephoto needs.
Old April 26th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #5
Tourist

Darrell,
TV lenses can be used very effectively on micro 4/3 cameras such as the Panasonic GH2, GH3 and others and make for a good, relatively fast parfocal lens with a constant aperture, stepless iris and very smooth zoom capability.

The 2/3" B4 or B3 mount lenses can be used in full sensor mode as long as you get one with a built-in 2x extender. The internal focus lenses are the best ones to get, although the older style with a front element that turns will work too. You can even power up the zoom using a cable and external battery system that I make and carry in my eBay store.

I have the lenses, adapters, cables, batteries and other accessories for B3/B4 lenses for sale in my eBay store (calhounmonster). I'm not sure about the forum policy for links so if you want a link to my store, please send me a message. Thanks!
Dale Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have a Fujinon A17 x 9 BRM 9-153mm f/1.9 lens. Is this a "B4" lens that would work on a GH3 with one of your adapters?
Geoffrey Chandler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series