Get GH4 V-LOG for FREE !! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old September 19th, 2015, 11:13 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: Get GH4 V-LOG for FREE !!

First, thanks for that video Luc. I'm glad no one grabbed your camera and ran out the door when you were in the fast food restaurant.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why I would need/want this particular VLOG feature. I still have firmware 2.2. From what I see it only flattens the dynamic range of the image and desaturates it. I know that's a good thing so that you have more freedom and options in post to do specific color corrections and looks, but is it really any different than using Cinelike D with a few custom settings?

I use Cinelike D with some custom settings gleamed from either Tom Antos or Phil Bloom's suggestions. That gives me a desaturated and flat image that I'm able to mess around with and apply different great LUT's from Color Grade Central.

I assume this is all the same thing? VLOG is just a specific variation? Am I missing something?
Chad Hucal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 12:32 PM   #47
Trustee

I'm still in testing Phase of putting Vlog against the other profiles but so far this is what I gleaned from my own tests.

Cine D at its default setting can be made to look just as flat as VLog using custom luts. But Vlog has unique characteristics to consider as another tool in your kit.

Slight detail is gained in the shadow area versus Cine D. This is even greater compared to Standard profile.

For Highlights, VLog handles falloff much better than cine D and other profiles.

And here is the best improvement for me. Vlog has better and more natural looking skin tones.

I did a controlled test to change ISOs and maintaining similar exposure on a set by only controlling aperture.
My ISO used in a series of test are 400(lowest in vlog) 800, 1600, 2500

My conclusion is, 800 seem the cleanest, followed by 400. Is 800 the base ISO? I don't know.
Old September 19th, 2015, 12:33 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
My conclusion is, 800 seem the cleanest, followed by 400. Is 800 the base ISO? I don't know.
400 is the base ISO and it's also the lowest you can set. On the A7R II Slog2 works the same way, you cannot set the camera lower than 800 when you are in Slog2 mode.

The reason 800 can be cleaner than 400 is that the image in front of you needs 800 ISO sensitivity in order not to be underexposed, which is tricky since Vlog L only has that small window of 7.5-79 IRE in which to work
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 02:02 PM   #49
Major Player

800 ISO is the base for Vlog not 400. Vlog L icurve is pretty much the same as Vlog for 12 stops. That is why you can apply the Vlog technical LUT. Vlog L was designed to match with Varicam. The other base for Vlog on the Varicam 35 is 5000 ISO but Vlog L cut off around 1600 ISO. If you want to u understand vlog l then study the Panasonic documentation of Vlog and its curve characteristics.

http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquis...ate-suite.html
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
And here is the best improvement for me. Vlog has better and more natural looking skin tones.
from my vid, the part with me in front of the camera, I can't see it. natural gives better skin tones. but all i did was apply the v709 lut, did you do anything else? i did not try reducing red in the midtones like you said.
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 07:36 AM   #51
Major Player

From yesterday's wedding:

LEFT: V-Log + V709 lut + RGB curves to reduce redness + fast color corrector to increase contrast and saturation 160%

RIGHT: Standard profile [was lazy yesterday] + RGB curves for some minor color adjustment [was a really tough reception, did not get the WB quite right. 2500K and pushing it further into the blues still did not get rid of enough red it seems]

Both at ISO 2000. Still seeing more noise in V-Log, which is a no-no for me. I'm on the edge many times as it is. However, I do have to admit I like the extra detail visible in the black dress. But I think I could have had the same result if I had filmed in Natural or CineD with lowered contrast and such.
Attached Thumbnails
Get GH4 V-LOG for FREE !!-p1070265.still008.jpg   Get GH4 V-LOG for FREE !!-p1070265.still009.jpg  

Old September 20th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #52
Inner Circle

I"m just wondering if you cannot get the same or maybe even better result just using the cine-d profile and then experiment with i-dynamic, I used it like that in my last personal project and found that the result seemed pretty good without so much hassle with right exposure, noise and the burden of extensive colorcorrection.: (vimeo.com/137750652) There was enough detail in shadows and parts where the sun was shining when you look at the last part of the video at that castle, what more could a v-log do in such a case?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #53
Major Player

I decided just yesterday to sell my wondlan carbon fiber stabilizer and probably get the HD2000 like everybody else. Was really excited to see how great your footage looked in that vid, I didn't even know about that product. But apparently it's unusable with the 7-14mm lens, too heavy *sigh*
Old September 20th, 2015, 09:30 AM   #54
Inner Circle

They just released a new and improved version which is for heavier camera's, no idea on price though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asBW...ature=youtu.be
and yes, the version I use is only suitable with a 12mm or 9-18mm if you use a gh4, you can use heavier lenses but you are pushing or go over it's limits.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 12:46 AM   #55
Major Player

Question: Why am I getting an almost white image, like REALLY white image with the vlog? This was Interior stuff and I had shot some exterior which seemed much more contrasty.
Old September 21st, 2015, 01:22 AM   #56
Major Player

I guess interior you do not have much of shades of light giving you a more white like image , exterior has brighter contrasts and hence a slight better image.
Believe me thats the image that Vlog gives and thats why it is so nice to edit it in post.
Old September 21st, 2015, 02:09 AM   #57
Major Player

It ended being fine once I messed around with it..

Another question... I keep seeing a temperature change, like a flicker throughout from greenish to reddish.. Could that be fluorescent light? But I have never seen that before shooting under fluorescent ceiling lights.
Old October 16th, 2015, 06:55 AM   #58
Regular Crew

Anyone have a link to the 2.3 firmware?

Panasonic has released 2.4 with the following change...

Date/Version Description
2015/09/17
Ver.2.4
Improved V-Log L setting issue of firmware Ver.2.3.
Bram Corstjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #59
Regular Crew

Hmm, not sure but I thought I already posted this...

Older version Image App:
Zippyshare.com - com.panasonic.avc.cng.imageapp-1.zip

2.3 firmware
Zippyshare.com - GH4__V23.zip
Bram Corstjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 01:03 AM   #60
Inner Circle

My guess is that Chris removed your links as it is not allowed to link to "illegal" software on this forum.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series