Get GH4 V-LOG for FREE !! - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 10th, 2019, 11:18 PM   #61
Major Player

Re: Get GH4 V-LOG for FREE !!

Hi folks. I never acquired the V-Log profile for my GH4, but I have a job this week potentially asking for it. Is there any new info now in 2019 with another firmware update on top of 2.4? Also, if I download 2.5, and upgrade from 2.3 (i.e. skip 2.4), can I still purchase V-Log if I go that route?
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 07:07 AM   #62
Trustee

VLog as a paid update takes ages. You buy it and it's posted to you as an unlock code. Mine for the GH5 and it's the same vLog purchase as the GH4 took weeks to arrive.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 12:10 PM   #63
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hayes View Post
Hi folks. I never acquired the V-Log profile for my GH4, but I have a job this week potentially asking for it. Is there any new info now in 2019 with another firmware update on top of 2.4? Also, if I download 2.5, and upgrade from 2.3 (i.e. skip 2.4), can I still purchase V-Log if I go that route?
I would not bother with 8-bit V-Log for the GH4, instead, I would recommend CineD.

For the GH5 I would recommend HLG instead of V-Log.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 12:57 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Hi Josh,

If V-Log L is required as a part of your shoot, then you could try Adorma or B&H Photo which should be a download activation code rather than getting it from Panasonic.

Using V-Log L I would suggest you also download the V-Log L to Rec 709 LUT from Panasonic (free download) and try it out before your shoot. There is not a huge advantage in dynamic range for the 8 bit internal recording of the GH4 (unleass you have something like the Atomos Ninja Flame recorder for 422 10 bit ProRes for external recording). I over expose about 1 stop which allows pulling for detail out of the shadows a bit easier.

If someone else is doing the post edit and they ask for V-Log L, they will be familiar with the process and I would consult with them for the exposure range they like. Otherwise be advised working with V-Log L during acquisition and post production has a learning curve.
Old February 11th, 2019, 01:43 PM   #65
Inner Circle

The whole point of filming in log gamma is to protect your highlights and have information to pull your shadows and mids back up to the proper level. If you're overexposing log, then you don't actually need to film in log to begin with.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series