New Panasonic GH5 Official - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old February 8th, 2017, 05:28 PM   #136
Trustee

Re: New Panasonic GH5 Official

Hey mate my opinion canon 70d 80d kills gh4 g7 g80 hands down without doubt
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #137
Inner Circle

I agree the 70/80d excels at auto focus. I filmed a short with a 70d and my friend was using 5d fully rigged out with a Zacatto viewfinder and follow focus. My shots were tack sharp while many of his were soft. Point being focus ability is often over looked because it can't be quantified as resolution, bitrate, sensor size, etc. Its not to say the GH4 doesn't have its own set of advantages 4k, run time, form factor... While I can't say how much better it is over the GH4 there is no denying Canon dual pixel tech is the standard that all others are measured against.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 07:45 PM   #138
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I agree the 70/80d excels at auto focus. I filmed a short with a 70d and my friend was using 5d fully rigged out with a Zacatto viewfinder and follow focus. My shots were tack sharp while many of his were soft. Point being focus ability is often over looked because it can't be quantified as resolution, bitrate, sensor size, etc. Its not to say the GH4 doesn't have its own set of advantages 4k, run time, form factor... While I can't say how much better it is over the GH4 there is no denying Canon dual pixel tech is the standard that all others are measured against.
I've loved the focusing on the 70D for over 4 years now, but unless Canon is going to offer me the other features at a price point below $3500, I'm out.

Along with dual IS, full 4K, etc, I'm really intrigued by the photo/video mode thing where it'll shoot in 6K 24fps, and you can select 18 MP stills out of it. From what little I see, its a photo mode, but is basically shooting a 6K video.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 08:21 PM   #139
Trustee

While it may not be up to Canon 80D standards, it looks like even with the beta firmware, it is definitely better than the GH4 autofocus.
Old February 8th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #140
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
I've loved the focusing on the 70D for over 4 years now, but unless Canon is going to offer me the other features at a price point below $3500, I'm out.

Along with dual IS, full 4K, etc, I'm really intrigued by the photo/video mode thing where it'll shoot in 6K 24fps, and you can select 18 MP stills out of it. From what little I see, its a photo mode, but is basically shooting a 6K video.
Canon came out with that weird XC10 and XC15 line to fill that void. The fixed consumer lens was obviously put there for a reason. They don't want to offer dslr 4k at a price point that would undermine the c100 and c300.

Someone was complaining about Sony holding back features to protect the higher lines but they all do it. Just happens in this case that Panasonic doesn't have higher end cinema line to protect.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; February 8th, 2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old February 8th, 2017, 11:41 PM   #141
Major Player

So they all do it, that is they all withhold features to protect higher priced gear. Then along comes Panasonic with the GH5 offering features up to and surpassing hugely more expensive gear from Sony and Canon. And right here we have Robert Benda saying unless Canon comes to the party he's 'out'. How many professions and prosumers will do likewise? What's the point of protecting one's higher end gear when a competitor can do what Panasonic is doing with the GH5? How many FS7 and C300/100 cam sales will be lost to the GH5? Isn't the approach allegedly taken by Sony and Canon to 'protect their higher end gear' a 'shoot yourself in the foot' business case? Why in this day and age bearing in mind the big dollars spent by both outfits on market research would Sony and/or Canon do that? Do they really believe brand loyalty will save the day for them and that the number of people that will 'switch' will be minimal?

Bottom line question: are they just protecting higher end gear, is it really that simple? I doubt it. There must be more going on behind the scenes than we can even imagine.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 11:56 PM   #142
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bleasdale View Post
Mine is a little different. :) I find the 70d and 80d to be fine in close up shots but sometimes terrible in wide, highly detailed shots. It feels less full HD to me in resolution. For colour and auto focus, they have the edge - superior to other brands all the way. For features useful to a Videographer, Canon DSLR trails very far behind. Given the GH5 will be enjoying 50p 4K and 10 BIT 4:2:2, sitting alongside 5 axis IS, log profiles, focus peaking, highlights, waveform monitor and vector scope, the 80d line has a very long journey to match Panasonic output. My opinion of course.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 01:48 AM   #143
Inner Circle

Quote:
My 15 year old son recently said his gh4 completely destroys the 70 or 80d, I told him to give the camera a bit more credit, his mother at least loves her 80d because she uses it to cover his soccer practices and since all other mothers there seem to have one as well it can't be that bad though I have to say her films look like crap but at least they are in focus.

All joking aside, Panasonic is here to rule the world, get used to it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 04:37 AM   #144
Trustee

Maybe your right Noa, but i had the g7 g6 gh4, held and used the g80 in a camera shop and filmed for a hour, not of them gets near the 70d or 80d. Sent the sony ax100 back as again at a latest wedding it did not cut the mustard and colors where awful. 70d with a flat neutral base line is excellent as with the touch screen and everything else that goes with it. Granted no 4k but in 10 years trading i very rarely burn a bluray disc for the client, no one seems to have a bluray player so god knows how they will play 4k.
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 04:55 AM   #145
Inner Circle

It's clear to us now you dislike anything but Canon but it makes no sense in constantly repeating it in a thread that is about the gh5.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 06:26 AM   #146
Trustee

Quote:
Maybe your right Noa, but i had the g7 g6 gh4, held and used the g80 in a camera shop and filmed for a hour, not of them gets near the 70d or 80d. Sent the sony ax100 back as again at a latest wedding it did not cut the mustard and colors where awful. 70d with a flat neutral base line is excellent as with the touch screen and everything else that goes with it. Granted no 4k but in 10 years trading i very rarely burn a bluray disc for the client, no one seems to have a bluray player so god knows how they will play 4k.
I always hear the whole "Canon colors" thing and I get part of that. Yes, Canon does color well right out of the camera. But how often do you give raw files right out of the camera to people that dont know how to color grade? Sure, Sony and Panasonic might need a little tweaking to get it to look like a Canon and that is something very easy to do in post. I always get paid to shoot, edit and deliver. So, I'm going to color grade everything I do anyway, no matter what cameras I'm shooting with.

Canon doesn't have a magic color spectrum that it captures that Sony and Panny don't. For 8bit, everybody is doing 0-255 in in RGB. It's all the same, you just need to tune it the way you want in post.

Any color that Canon can capture in a scene, Panny and Sony will capture it too. You can certainly match any "Canon look" with any Sony or Panny camera if you actually put a small bit of effort in post.

I guess the only exception is if you are giving allot of files straight from the card to clients that don't know how to color grade the footage they are buying from you. I don't know but maybe allot of Canon guys do that often.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 08:00 AM   #147
Major Player

Problem with the Canon 70D, 80D and all the rest that have dual pixel AF in HD is that even when they nail the focus down to the millimeter the image still looks soft. It normally looks OK for closeups and head shots but once you go wide the detail simply melts away. If you don't believe this you can compare the HD footage in the highest available bit rate mode with HD in 50Mbps XAVC-S mode from either the Sony RX100xx, RX10xx, AX100, A6000, A6300 (the A6500 for some reasons is a bit worse than its cheaper predecessors in HD) or the Panasonic GH3.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 09:30 AM   #148
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacharapong Chiowanich View Post
Problem with the Canon 70D, 80D and all the rest that have dual pixel AF in HD is that even when they nail the focus down to the millimeter the image still looks soft. It normally looks OK for closeups and head shots but once you go wide the detail simply melts away. If you don't believe this you can compare the HD footage in the highest available bit rate mode with HD in 50Mbps XAVC-S mode from either the Sony RX100xx, RX10xx, AX100, A6000, A6300 (the A6500 for some reasons is a bit worse than its cheaper predecessors in HD) or the Panasonic GH3.
I have noticed this softness when I once used the 70d to film a wide shot of a theatrical performance. I wasn't sure if this was because canon uses less internal sharpening than the other cameras you mentioned. It's not uncommon for consumer targeted camera to do more internal processing since that type of user has no desire to do any grading. Others have pointed out that the smaller higher resolution on a relatively small sensor of the A6500 isn't a benefit under certain circumstances. So what is your explanation of Canon's softness, the bitrate? Btw I don't have an issue with softness in wide shot particular for weddings.
Old February 9th, 2017, 12:07 PM   #149
Trustee

Doesn't the Canon 70D do a line skip readout of its image sensor? As a we all know, line skipping is a nasty and crude technique to scale down a high megapixel sensor to a 2megapixel 1080 image.

Im soooo glad that Sony dumped line skipping a while ago in favor of its full pixel readout technique today.

CT

Last edited by Cliff Totten; February 9th, 2017 at 09:00 PM.
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 12:24 PM   #150
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
It's clear to us now you dislike anything but Canon but it makes no sense in constantly repeating it in a thread that is about the gh5.
And its clear you dislike anything but panasonic? so it makes no sense repeating this thread about the 80d?
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series