GH5 - Aggressively Crushed Blacks? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 9th, 2017, 05:40 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: GH5 - Aggressively Crushed Blacks?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking also Ron.

Cheers mate.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 07:27 PM   #17
Trustee

It's not how low the blacks go. To my eye, the rec709-ish profiles just seem to fall off fast in the last 10 or 15%. It just seems to have a steep slope right near the bottom. I come from Sony which seems to protect the low end more. (but blows highlights easier) Granted, their sensors are doing 14 stops so it's a couple more than the GH5.

I dont know, it's not "bad", it's just a "look" that I think Panny is going for. They seem to like the look of strong shadows. It does give a contrasty "bold" look. I tend to lift my blacks and turn them into "very dark greys" to uncover any detail that I can in them. If there is nothing in them, than I drop them back down.

After reviewing a couple of hours of rec709 profiles vs. Vlog, I think it's just a rec709 Panny look, that's all.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 09:59 PM   #18
Trustee

Yes, I also have come form Sony gear and the Panasonic tends to be heavier in the low I reckon, just gota get used to it I guess.

So far with picture profiles I have been testing re testing and have now settled (I THINK) on Cinelike D with contrast on minus 2 or 3. Different light really affects the look so It's hard to settle on something.

Last edited by Simon Denny; May 10th, 2017 at 01:15 AM.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 05:40 AM   #19
Inner Circle

All my other cameras are Sony too. The consumer AX53 sits close to 0 ire ( 16 RGB ) but the NX5U, NX30U or FDR-AX1 sit closer to 5 or 7 IRE to 109 range, which I always have to bring down to get rich blacks. So I always have to underexpose most of the Sony's to avoid clipping highlights. I find the GH5 in "like 709" sits close to the proper range in my projects so far more like the AX53 but with much deeper colour. In a multicam mix with AX53, AX100, NX5U I pulled down the colour on the GH5 and NX5U to match the others. I have not played with fine detail settings yet. My poor old NX5U definitely is the weaker camera now !!! I do love the controls though.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series