New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Here is a shot of the prototype Chrosziel 450 adapter plate. It fit perfectly so I am having more made and will get them anodized black.
Attached Thumbnails
New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170-chrosziel450-adapter_small.jpg  
Curtis Guise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #17
New Boot

Any time frame on when the plates will be ready for the 170/150? I really want one for my HMC-150. Thanks.
Ray Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Thomas View Post
Any time frame on when the plates will be ready for the 170/150? I really want one for my HMC-150. Thanks.
My machinist just finished programing it today and said he should be able to make the prototype on Wednesday. If all goes as planned we should be able to make the first run of plates next week after I check the prototype. By the time they are anodized we are probably looking at the end of this month.

I might add them to my store soon so people can pre-order. I will post when that happens.
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #19
New Boot

Cool Curtis, thanks. I have your website bookmarked and I will keep an eye out for them. Will they be the same price as the HVX-200 plates?

Ray
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Here are some pictures of the prototype for the HPX170 and HMC150. I have a couple of small changes to make this week then we will make a run of the final design. I should have pre-ordering ready on my website today.

I also have the black Chrosziel 450 adapters in stock now. Those will be added to the site also.
Attached Thumbnails
New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170-hpx170_1.jpg   New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170-hpx170_2.jpg  

New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170-hpx170_3.jpg   New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170-hpx170_4.jpg  

New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170-chrosziel450-adapter_blk2.jpg   New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170-chrosziel450-adapter_blk1.jpg  

New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170-chrosziel450-adapter_blk3.jpg  
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Direct link to the order page for the Chrosziel 450 adapter, and to the pre-order page for the HPX170 & HMC150 base plate, Click here - race-dezert.com Store - Camera Accessories

I also made some updates to my web site http://www.juicedesigns.com

Last edited by Curtis Guise; May 24th, 2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Here is a picture of the Chrosziel 450 adapter installed.
Attached Thumbnails
New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170-chrosziel_450_adapter.jpg  
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #23
Regular Crew

It has been taking longer than I expected but the HPX170 / HMC150 plates are almost finished. They are supposed to be machined this week and then it will take a few days to have them anodized black. I will post as soon as I know the exact date they can start shipping.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM   #24
Regular Crew

The HPX170 / HMC150 plates came in and are being anodized now. They will be finished Tuesday.
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Here are some pictures of the HPX170 / HMC150 plate mounted on a camera. This is the prototype plate, the final retail version will be anodized black.
Attached Thumbnails
New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170-hmc150_mounted1.jpg   New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170-hmc150_mounted2.jpg  

Old July 12th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #26
New Boot

I wanted to write a quick review of the Juice Designs baseplate for the Panasonic HMC-150. The order was sent out on Tuesday as promised and I got it on Friday. It was packaged well. It came with the plate, directions, 6 small allen screws, and a larger 1/4" allen screw. Two allen keys were thoughtfully included as well. I have to say I was very impressed with the overall fit and finish of the plate. There was obviously a lot of thought put in to its design. It follows the contours of the Panasonic base exactly and all the holes line up perfectly. Curtis even cut out the areas where the 150 has rubber bumpers on the base so that the plate sits flush to the camera bottom. My plate was anodized black and looks factory when mounted. It took all of about five minutes to install. I bought the plate for a couple of reasons. The first being that I come from a film background and I have never liked the 1/4" mounting holes that most prosumer video cameras come with. With Curtis' plate I now have several mounting holes including 3/8" which I prefer. I am also prone to setting down my camera when I am running around shooting and I feel that much better having something between the ground and my precious camera. The plate seems to add more overall stability when the camera is mounted on a tripod. It would be a good addition for anyone using a matte box with rods or a 35mm adapter.

I do have some advice for anyone installing the plate. It's mostly common sense stuff. As I mentioned Curtis includes a couple of allen keys for the plate screws but you will need a #00 phillips head screw driver to remove the factory screws. I recommend getting a good quality driver as the screws are TINY with a capital T. It would not be hard to strip the screws. My screws came out easily enough. I would also put the factory screws somewhere safe. If you ever remove the plate you will need them again. When installing the new screws I started with the two middle screws to help line everything up. Again be very careful as the thread pitch is so small that it would not be hard to cross thread the screws. Do everything slowly and carefully and you should be fine. The included directions mention this and it bears repeating but don't over-tighten the screws. They are so small that you could easily strip the threads on the screws or even worse the camera. I tightened them (grasping the short end of the allen key) about a quarter turn past tight. Same thing with the larger 1/4" screw. Less is more when tightening. You certainly don't want to crack the base by over-tightening things (that's what the plate was designed to prevent in the first place! ).

I want to add I have no affiliation with Curtis Guise or Juice Designs. Hopefully he will be making more plates for other cameras. Let's face it the plastic bases on most video cameras puts the consumer in prosumer. I've never had one crack but I have heard of it happening and it's an expensive repair. I will try to post a picture with it on my camera when I get a chance. It looks pretty much like Curtis' pic except in black. All in all I am very happy with the plate and think it is worthwhile addition to any camera.

Cheers,
Ray
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #27
Major Player

I just received mine today (across the Pacific Ocean). Just as Ray has described it, the packaging was excellent, the fit excellent. I followed the instructions to the letter, didn't dare to over tighten things - and is now very happy with the results. An excellent product add on to this camera.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #28
Trustee

The plate was very easy for me to install as well. Feel much better about hauling my camera over my shoulder on the tripod now.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM   #29
Regular Crew

picture of the HPX170 and HMC150 base plate in black

I finally have a picture of the anodized black HPX170 & HMC150 base plate. I have one available in our store and more coming in the next week or two. Juice Designs
Attached Thumbnails
New CNC machined aluminum base plate for the HVX200 and HPX170-hpx170-hmc150-black3.jpg  
Curtis Guise is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders