DV Info Net - Search Results
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Search Forums
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Showing results 251 to 275 of 790
Search took 0.04 seconds; generated 52 minute(s) ago.
Search: Posts Made By: Evan Donn
Forum: Documentary Techniques February 20th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Replies: 12
Views: 4,281
Posted By Evan Donn
I'd add that before you get started on your big...

I'd add that before you get started on your big project you really should do several similar but shorter projects first. I'm talking 2-5 minute pieces in the same style you are shooting for - and...
Forum: Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD February 20th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Replies: 10
Views: 2,323
Posted By Evan Donn
I've always just deleted on the computer, never...

I've always just deleted on the computer, never bother reformatting in the camera, no problems so far (over a year of use). Using a mix of Sandisk extreme II & III cards.
Forum: Final Cut Suite February 16th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Replies: 2
Views: 2,315
Posted By Evan Donn
I use a slightly streamlined process compared to...

I use a slightly streamlined process compared to PB's:

1. Sync with pluraleyes
2. Drag synced audio onto the camera audio tracks to replace them
3. razor blade synced audio at video in/out...
Forum: Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD February 15th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Replies: 71
Views: 56,855
Posted By Evan Donn
When Canon presented the new codec at the recent...

When Canon presented the new codec at the recent supermeet someone asked specifically about upgrading any of the current DSLRs to it and the response was that the codec in the cameras is hardware...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD February 15th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Replies: 14
Views: 10,891
Posted By Evan Donn
The problem I've had with post-sharpening is that...

The problem I've had with post-sharpening is that there seems to be a very low limit on what you can apply before the grid of the noise signature becomes visible. What are you guys using for...
Forum: Final Cut Suite February 10th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Replies: 5
Views: 1,672
Posted By Evan Donn
For something like green grass you might not want...

For something like green grass you might not want to use a vignette. If there's nothing else that's green in the shot you can just use the hue, saturation and luminance 'rainbow' controls (forget...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD February 10th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Replies: 33
Views: 11,526
Posted By Evan Donn
As Peer mentioned though - focusing with the LCD...

As Peer mentioned though - focusing with the LCD & magnifying functionality is far more effective than focusing through the viewfinder. I just don't think the focus screen in this camera is really...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD February 10th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Replies: 15
Views: 6,073
Posted By Evan Donn
Well, issues of noise aside, the primary...

Well, issues of noise aside, the primary advantage to setting ISO manually vs. auto is that it prevents the camera from changing exposure mid shot.

In terms of noise, yes you can minimize the...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD February 8th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Replies: 13
Views: 2,288
Posted By Evan Donn
I've had the Hoodloupe for a while but find I...

I've had the Hoodloupe for a while but find I just don't use it that much, it just doesn't work as well as I expected - I find in general I prefer using the LCD alone.

At the supermeet on friday...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD February 6th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Replies: 33
Views: 11,526
Posted By Evan Donn
The sync problem is a bug in FCP that relates to...

The sync problem is a bug in FCP that relates to how it interprets audio on import based on the current timebase you have selected. It's an easy fix, you just need to create a custom easy setup with...
Forum: Final Cut Suite January 28th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Replies: 25
Views: 6,529
Posted By Evan Donn
I think it's short sighted to look at the iPad at...

I think it's short sighted to look at the iPad at this point and dismiss it as a professional tool - it's all going to depend on the apps that are developed for it.

There are already iPhone apps...
Forum: Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD January 25th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Replies: 33
Views: 8,720
Posted By Evan Donn
For photography, no it can't be beat - but it's a...

For photography, no it can't be beat - but it's a terrible lens for video, primarily due to the tiny focus ring. It's too small to get a good grip on, too close to the front of the lens (easy to get...
Forum: Documentary Techniques December 21st, 2009, 03:07 PM
Replies: 17
Views: 8,093
Posted By Evan Donn
We usually talk about it in terms of...

We usually talk about it in terms of conflict/resolution but I think 'conflict' is maybe the wrong term - it tends to imply confrontation of some sort. Resolution may be the more important part -...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD December 21st, 2009, 02:40 PM
Replies: 12
Views: 4,483
Posted By Evan Donn
I thought the 7D used nearly the same data rate...

I thought the 7D used nearly the same data rate as the 5D - both should fill up cards at roughly the same rate assuming you're shooting them both at the same resolution & frame rate.
Forum: Nikon Photo for HD Video December 20th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Replies: 57
Views: 22,304
Posted By Evan Donn
Are you basing this on your actual experience...

Are you basing this on your actual experience using one of these cameras, or just on what you've read? Because my experience has been very different. The SLR ergonomics aren't ideal but they aren't...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD December 12th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Replies: 230
Views: 82,628
Posted By Evan Donn
Actually I am taking that into account. I would...

Actually I am taking that into account. I would absolutely expect more photos than videos because of the ease of uploading them - that's why I say I think 10:1 is reasonable, despite the fact that...
Forum: All Things Audio December 12th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Replies: 9
Views: 11,244
Posted By Evan Donn
We did this once for a recent doc shoot... just...

We did this once for a recent doc shoot... just put the H4n on a carbon fiber monopod. Worked fine, except for the one interview where the sound guy put it into standby instead of record - and...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD December 12th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Replies: 230
Views: 82,628
Posted By Evan Donn
Sure, and I'm not suggesting this is a precise...

Sure, and I'm not suggesting this is a precise way of measuring precise usage - I don't think there is a way. And these numbers are naturally only a tiny fraction of total usage. I shot over 35 hours...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD December 10th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Replies: 230
Views: 82,628
Posted By Evan Donn
The numbers are sure to be fuzzy because there's...

The numbers are sure to be fuzzy because there's probably a lot of crossover in use between still & video, but here's how I look at it:

# of Vimeo clips tagged 5DmkII: 3,096

# of Flickr photos...
Forum: Photon Management December 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Replies: 5
Views: 3,898
Posted By Evan Donn
I use a similar setup and generally try to get...

I use a similar setup and generally try to get the backlight as high as possible - depends on the subject of course, but if they are wearing a collared shirt and the backlight is too low it tends to...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD December 8th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Replies: 12
Views: 2,799
Posted By Evan Donn
Clapping certainly works, and while it's not...

Clapping certainly works, and while it's not necessary for pluraleyes it's helpful to have in case pluraleyes can't get the sync - but I'd never want to sync more than a couple clips without...
Forum: Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD December 8th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Replies: 10
Views: 11,183
Posted By Evan Donn
The sync issues with the H4n & 5D have to do with...

The sync issues with the H4n & 5D have to do with the 30 fps rate and FCP's handling of imported audio - creating an Easy Setup with a true 30 timebase before creating a project solves the problem...
Forum: Photon Management December 8th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Replies: 105
Views: 35,990
Posted By Evan Donn
Was just shooting with a 600 this weekend -...

Was just shooting with a 600 this weekend - something I'm noticing is that LED panels can't be compared directly with either fluorescent or incandescent in terms of 'hardness' as they really combine...
Forum: Canon EOS Full Frame for HD November 24th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Replies: 14
Views: 2,459
Posted By Evan Donn
I run all my 5D stuff as ProRes off several...

I run all my 5D stuff as ProRes off several (daisy-chained) fw800 drives, non-raid, connected to my 17" MacBook Pro which has lower specs than your iMac - in other words you should be fine with...
Forum: Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD November 24th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Replies: 18
Views: 6,526
Posted By Evan Donn
I've got the 1.8 and use it only for photography...

I've got the 1.8 and use it only for photography where I want the autofocus - it's a decent stills lens considering the cost and weight. For video the focus ring is almost useless - it's not just...
Showing results 251 to 275 of 790

 


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2026 The Digital Video Information Network