Reign Of Blood (shortfilm) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old May 25th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #16
Regular Crew

hey there,

about costumes .. absolutly right .. the backpack was actually my backpack, with which I usually take the camera around ;) .. .. the only reason I used the backpack, because I had a scene in mind in which the mainguy blows up about 50 coffins with some molotov cocktails .. andhe needed something to transport the cocktails ..but I failed doing digital explosions,thats why the scene is cut out.

for me the only thing important was, that the guys dont look like usual vampires .. more like regular guys from the street .. I am a big fan of "near dark" and "blade" (part 1 only) thats why I wanted to keep that look somehow natural. (and I know that BLADE has very good costumes .. from BLADE is the fighting style - somehow, costumes are like in NEAR DARK ;) )

the funny thing is that I don't really work in the biz .. I make my money programming internetpages .. every now and then (like once a year ;) I get a job as cameraman, sometimes as editor, but because all I know is selftought and I often do the whole production by myself, the people I met are often very sceptical.
they say "someone who does everything cant put all his power in one dept., means the result will be bad" adn stuff like that .. .. tried it several times, worked for more than a year for free for some DVD .. but always failed .. .. thats when I decided to stop doing little work for big movies, but do my shortfilms as big as possible (but one other truth is that I love making movies, but I totally suck at the business part .. thinking about making money out of my stuff gives me headachs).. .. .. BUT most of the stuntmen are professionals !

I have no idea what "broken short" is .. would be nice if you could explain it !

thanks guys :)
still surprised how good the comments are .. excepted something like "too violent martial arts nonsense" .. hahahha
Ulrik
Ulrik [fC] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #17
Regular Crew

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...t=broken+short

That's the broken short

Your film looks great, only the slomo shots could be smoother, (which will be kinda hard with an xl1s offcourse)
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot for the link !

But I actually think that selling a 5min movie by myself, even with tons of extras is somehow not right.

Everything I learned is based on free knowledge available in the internet, so why shouldnt I give something back ?
Next problem is, that I wouldnt make it to stretch making ofs etc. that much,'coz I am quite facinated by giving as much information in as little time as possible :).

cheers
Ulrik
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrik [fC] View Post
Everything I learned is based on free knowledge available in the internet, so why shouldnt I give something back ?
This is exactly the way I feel! That's why I post so much.
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrik [fC] View Post

.. Don't get me wrong, I love all that stuff and I know that with lights the short could have look better,
I'm not so sure. You used what directional light that was ambient so well that I think if you had lights and tried to recreate the natural look you got with them it would have changed the dynamics of what you ultimately had going.

I would not have changed a thing in your place.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:17 PM   #21
Trustee

Amazing stuff - I agree it feels like a trailer, part of a bigger story. As an example of what you can achieve with that equipment it's astounding
Old June 2nd, 2007, 10:48 AM   #22
Major Player

Very cool, Ulrik! Your editing of action sequences (among other things) is what really stood out to me. Fantastic job on all aspects. You knocked the ball clean out of the ballpark with this one. Great work!

www.themourner.com
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Ulrik,

Excellent movie! I really enjoyed it.
Good action, good atmosphere and the visual effects were very well done.

Looking forward to your next production ;)

Andre.
Andre Theelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks guys ! I am really happy that you all enjoyed it !! As soon as I find time I will edit some "making of" clip .. but as I am quite busy right now it will need some time, but it will come for sure.

Till then you get a little "teaser picture" as attachment :).

Have fun
Ulrik
Attached Thumbnails
Reign Of Blood (shortfilm)-zaehne_02.jpg  
Old June 7th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #25
Major Player

Outstanding work Ulrik! I really enjoyed it too. I would definitely rent the 'full' length film based on what you did. Loved the special effects and the look and editing was very professional (nice building of tension).

Congrats!

Todd
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Ulrik, probably the best sound and best VFX Ive seen for awhile, all genres/budgets included. You have some amazing talent. The fight scenes were extremely well choreographed.

Shot choices and storyline are your downside. Lets face it this is a blade rip off, no issues there as I like the oriiginal. But it has a backstory. If you could get more shots and tighten the edit with those amazing vfx, and have the story ..... WOW.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #27
Major Player

I was really impressed with your work. I love the editing and am particularly amazed at how good just natural lighting came out.
Dennis Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Very impressive. Was it innovation or were those camera angles planned in advance? The combat scenes were amazing, anywhere those stunties teach a class or give tips on taking falls like that?
Joshua Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #29
Regular Crew

OMFG that looks amazing!!!! Two thumbs way up, screw the realism of the vampires out during the day and all that jazz that was great! Excellent job Ulrich!!

edit: I must also add that seeing something like this and knowing that you're self taught has just made my day and I now have more confidence in myself. I've not had the money to go to film school so every thing is self taught and coming up on my first big project I have renewed faith in myself.
Travis Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #30
Regular Crew

@Joshua Fernandez .. nothing was done in advance. I decided for the cameraangles on spot.
About the stunts: Guess it would be possible, if enough people were interested, but as a matter of fact not a lot of people want to jump down somewhere and land in a way that it looks painfull ;).

@Noel Evans .. story is a downside for sure, but as it was never meant to be a storydriven clip I can live with it. Next time I will try to put in more story for sure, because till now that is what I always fail to do ;).

@Travis Johnson .. what a great compliment. Whenever I am not sure whether I am doing the right thing I watch old making of stuff from Peter Jackson as he was doing "Bad Taste" or watch Buster Keaton or Jackie Chan movies. Always helps to get back the faith !

To everyone else: thanks again !

Have a nice day everyone and wish you all the best :).
Ulrik
Ulrik [fC] is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work