Reign Of Blood (shortfilm) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old May 9th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Reign Of Blood (shortfilm)

hey there,

I just finished my most recent shortfilm: REIGN OF BLOOD.

Its some vampire-martialarts-horror shortfilm.

It was shot with the standard Canon XL1s without any extras except some widelense adapter. I didnt use any lights, but I tried to use the natural light in a way that it looks like I did use lights ;).
All the shots are handheld, no steadicam was used.

For post-production I used Adobe Premiere and After Effects. Some extra 3d fx were done with 3ds max.

The team was the guys you see infronta of the camera and me behind the camera.

Here the link to the page:
http://www.german-kungfu.com/index.p...=MovDet&mid=25

alternative download:
http://www.berlin-pk.com/flatcoin/fC...ignOfBlood.avi

Have Fun and let me know what you think - Thanks :)
Take Care
Ulrik
Ulrik [fC] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Ulrik,

When I read you didn't set up any lights; using what was already there. And that all the shots were hand held I thought I was going to see something very crude and amateurish. But I was pleasantly surprised. Nice work. Your camera work was great.

The stunts and fight sequences were terrific. The special effects were also well done. I liked the Blade / Buffy flaming were they were staked.

The only thing that I was a little bothered by was don’t vampires have a small problem with daylight? :)
Walter J Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Amazing camerawork. How long did it take you shoot all of that footage with one camera? The editing is so smooth for the amount of stunts pulled off.

Nice job!
Matt Ramphal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #4
Trustee

nicely done...good use of the ambient light! good fx too. Awesome fight choreography.
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #5
Major Player

That was fantastic! Like Walter said, I was pleasantly surprised. Man, a couple of those vampires wasting away off the crates had better effects a couple times I thought movement-wise than in the Blade flicks. Slick camerawork and nice job on the edit - good use of wide and CUs.
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys !

"How long did it take you shoot all of that footage with one camera? "

For the whole short we needed three days and about 7-8hours per day, that included preparing and testing the stunts, making the setdesign (putting blood at the walls, building the coffin etc.) .. we are all good friends, worked several times together and all the guys are professional stuntmen, thats why I said what I wanted stuntwise, they tested it and I was shooting other stuff in the same time to not waste time.

Shooting fightscenes with one camera is actually faster than doing it with two .. at least from my experience .. because the hits look for real only from one (sometimes two) angles and if you use two or more cameras you have to be really carefull to not have the other camera in frame, with that you need more time etc. .. with one camera you have more freedom of movement. (I am only talking about fightscenes .. stuff like explosions, carcrashes etc, should be done with more cameras ;) )

"When I read you didn't set up any lights; using what was already there. And that all the shots were hand held I thought I was going to see something very crude and amateurish."

I actually thought that people will think that, because that is something I heard my whole life (as filmmaker), that it is impossible to make good (big) looking films without spending a lot of money for lights, dollys, steadicam etc. .. Don't get me wrong, I love all that stuff and I know that with lights the short could have look better, but if I only have 3 days for shooting and no money I search for other ways to let the short not look cheap :). Glad you checked it out anyway !

And about vampires and daytime .. well some are different ;) .. hahaha .. but its funny, because I thought that people would complain about that first, but I already showed it to a lot people and you are the first that mentioned it. Of coz you are right !

Thanks again for the nice words !

Take Care
Ulrik
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Wow, all I can say is amazing! As it was said, a lot of the death scenes in the warehouse area were really, really well done (especially the vampire who dies while rolling off the flats). I also thought the girl Vampire dragging the dead guy she decapitated into the room was a nice touch.

Can't think of anything I'd change... for the credits, were they influenced a bit by Dawn of the Dead? Kinda reminded me of their credits :D

Good job!
Kyle Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #8
Major Player

This was REALLY good! The camera work was exceptional, very "movie" like.

The stunt choreography was excellent!

How did you pull off the fiery disintegration effect?

Did you use AE for that?

If so you have to tell me your secret! :)

Nice work!

Mike
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #9
Regular Crew

@Kyle Ross .. actually both scenes you mentioned were inspired by work of Zack Snyder .. usually I use outtakes for the credits, but I thought that this would destroy the atmosphere, thats why I did this like "DotD" homage and the slow motion scene with the female vampire came into my mind after I watched "300" ( I loved the extense use of slow-motion in the movie and had to do some slow-mo shots too ).

@Mike Horrigan I used 3ds max in combination with After Effects

vampire-dusting .. what I did:

- first of all the cameramatching is the most important thing, means creating in 3ds max a camera which moves like my cameramovement in reality.

- next I used a skeleton I downloaded from the net and animated it just like the stuntman who did some fall

- as soon as the movement matched the movement of the stuntman I used the skeleton as particle generator

- I only used white particles of various sizes, those clips of the skeleton generating particles were imported into After Effects

- in AFX I blured them, put various colorlayers over the particle clips

- only thing missing now is a simple fade from the clip with the fall to a clean plate clip, means the same cameramovement without the stuntman .. and over the "fadeclip" you put all the particle layers and the dusting fx is done.

quite simple in theory, big pain in reality .. ;)

Hope that helps .. and thanks for the nice words !

take care everybody
Ulrik
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Ulrik, this is Maarek from the stuntpeople forums.

Great job, as always!

I liked the rhythm of the whole piece. Only thing didn't necessarily work for me was how the first vampire fight began. The fight was good, but it began kind of abruptly.

Everything else was top notch. Looking forward for more. I've showed your piece around and people have been generally impressed. I'm going to take some pointers on how you guys execute your fight sequences.

I really like the fact how people with more skills can make better stuff than professional people with more money and equipment. It just cheers me up :) I can't wait to see what you guys come up with when you get some funding.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #11
Trustee

Great video. It looks like the extended trailer for a movie I might like to see. It did not look amateurish in any way and that is not so easy without a lighting crew and camera rigs. I would never have guessed handheld with no lighting crew for this one. I also liked the martial arts. I've grown tired of the over-stylized martial arts that would never work in a real fight. I don't mind a bit of creative license, but I like when some of the hits look real and have physical consequences to the participants. I hate when two guys hit each other 657 times and don't even get tired or bruised. Straight fights with a few extra falls is a refreshing change.

I think the big question should be: How did you match camera moves for the FX when you did everything handheld? You needed camera matching for the clean plate and for the skeleton model yet you didn't use a tracking camera rig or any static tripod shots.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Somewhen soon I will make some "making of" clip, because a lot of people ask the same question like you.

But to give you a short answere:

the cameramovement is animated frame by frame in 3ds max .. the particle-fx are never shown for more than 50 frames .. most of the time 20-30frames .. so what I basiclly did was to match the camera for eachframe.

The Cleanplates were done like that: I did shot the stunt, afterwards everybody had to move out of frame and I simply tried to copy the movement.
Don't worry I never ever made it to make the same move twice, but its was always good enough to fade between the two camerashots .. sometimes I didn't even fade the whole scene, but only masked out the area where the stuntman was and replaced it with the cleanplate.
If you would watch those transistion without the "dusting-fx" you would call me stupid, because you can see the transistion clearly, but with all the particles in frame nobody sees it :).

Hope that helps
Ulrik
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Holy crap. this is insanely good.

you really need to create a making of dvd and talk about how you did everything and your special effects.

are you familiar with the 'broken short'. you can probably make atleast 25,000 USD in dvds if you do that. i would definitely buy 1!
Sean J. Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:56 AM   #14
New Boot

Wow. Really well done. I've just got into this whole movie making thing (documentaries tho) and the level of professionalism in this piece was amazing. You clearly work in the biz in some capacity and have considerable talent/experience.

Only criticism I'd bring up, which nobody else seemed to mention, would be costuming. It's minor but I love solid costumes especially in a 'style' piece such as yours. I just thought the costumes looked a little too plain for how stylized the characters and post production seemed to be.
Jacob Sundt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #15
Regular Crew

yeah, the customes couldve been better. i even noticed the Hero's backpack looked unrealistic, and I think I saw a label.
Sean J. Manning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work