DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Show Your Work (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/)
-   -   Show Your Work 2008 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/show-your-work/94990-show-your-work-2008-a.html)

Will Mahoney March 13th, 2008 09:31 AM

My newest product video...thoughts?

Folks,
Here is the latest product video that I've uploaded for my employer. I hosted, shot, and edited the video.

Thoughts?

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as..._prod_ids=3064

Matthew Johnston March 13th, 2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will Mahoney (Post 841854)
Nice job!! What did you win?

$500 bucks

Greg Girardin March 13th, 2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G. Lee Gordon (Post 839474)
PJ, Your footage looks great. I'd like to know more about the film. What did you shoot it on? What was your budget? What did you edit it on, etc.

Seconded.. I'd love to know more about this film.

Adrinn Chellton March 13th, 2008 11:46 PM

Excellent work! I can see why you won awards. I liked the edits during the conversation, and the cinematography was top notch for your budget. The writers did a very good job of injecting humor without it feeling overwritten. The audio mixing and VO make it seem like a professional piece too. It's great when you get a good team together and it really shows in the final product.

The only glaring(literally) problem I saw was the balding gangster's head being overexposed compared to the other guys. I see that all the time though, shiny crowns end up looking like light bulbs on video. The brother Grimm who was wanking it at the end was a bit over the top, but I got a chuckle so no foul by me.

I like edgy humor in films and this has to be one of the better short films I've seen recently. Thanks for sharing it here.

Craig Parkes March 14th, 2008 02:08 AM

A pleasure Chelton. As always, I have to put all credit to the awesome crew we organized, as well as few lucky breaks here and there (especially casting).

Bald heads and overexposure is something that's quite troublesome (especially when half of the gangster stuff was shot one day, and the other half was shot another day 5 weeks later!) but fairly unavoidable seeing as it was a DV shoot - if we had been shooting on a format with a little more latitude we could possibly have graded it out.

Sheldon Blais March 15th, 2008 11:41 AM

That was a pretty straight forward video. Good sound and video. Some background music or intro music would've added alot to it though.....

Oliver Reik March 16th, 2008 05:30 AM

Jep, I liked it too - straight forward, containing all the important information, sound and light was OK, plus you seem to be a nice guy...
I don't agree with the music suggestion, however you could show your logo a little bit longer at the end.

Cheers, Oliver

Jon Fairhurst March 16th, 2008 05:20 PM

City of Heroes - 40 second ad

We made original costumes, effects and music for this 40 second online ad:
http://www.w00tstudios.net/index.php...ectlink&id=103

My favorite part was getting the digital chorus (Voices of the Apocalypse) to sing "He-roes - Ci-ty of He-roes!"

It's in a contest. If you like it, vote! Thanks!

Nathan Quattrini March 17th, 2008 12:09 AM

My second short trailer (2 of 3)

I`m still working on 3 short films I hope to complete by summer. The second one "Five Minutes Flat" is a short action based film following the main character who is out to earn his freedom from his captures (sp?) I am about the whole crew thus I've been working on them since last spring. ALot of this may get reshot depending on the weather and plants, but i thought I'd share it anyway...and ignore the "Spring 2008 ;) )

http://vimeo.com/793514

Jay Gladwell March 17th, 2008 08:13 AM

Everything I know about automobiles you could put in your eye. I didn't realize changing antennas was that easy. I can see those fancy ones getting stolen very easily!

Walter McElroy, Jr. March 17th, 2008 09:51 AM

thanks for your feedback Jay,

I appreciate it, I will check on that widescreen issue.

Will Mahoney March 17th, 2008 10:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback!

I appreciate the mention of background music and lighting and sound. I'm really trying different things with each video to see what works the best. I'll be trying background music soon.

Thanks!

Dan Measel March 18th, 2008 10:29 PM

Website & Trailer for my new Feature

www.bloommovie.com

I made a Childrens feature movie and the trailer is on the website. The artist/animator/super genius (Christopher Dozier) that made the movie with me made the website. Check it out.

B.J. Adams March 19th, 2008 02:18 AM

#

one of my very first shoots. done with jvc x5 in 2007.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRfIPjlvRLI

Jay Gladwell March 19th, 2008 05:58 AM

You Web site says: "Bloom is a low budget independent family made movie. Bloom is not a big Hollywood production. This is something to keep in mind when watching Bloom."

Never, ever apologize for your movie! From square one you've "warned" me that something isn't up to par. Many people will stop right there and move on to something else.

Let the movie speak for itself. Build it up. Brag about it. Sell it. Give me reasons to buy it; to watch it. But for crying out loud, don't apologize for it!

Remove "Bloom is not a big Hollywood production. This is something to keep in mind when watching Bloom." Not only is it redundant, but it's going to kill your audience potential and sales.

Ram Shani March 19th, 2008 11:58 AM

new music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0crNKu2xkQ

let me know what you think

Alex Sprinkle March 19th, 2008 01:15 PM

I got a syntax error. Anyone else having luck?

Austin R. Hartman March 19th, 2008 01:30 PM

my new short 'mouth' written by Cam Archer and directed by Austin R. Hartman

This is my new film "mouth":
produced, edited, and directed by Austin R. Hartman
written by Cam Archer
shot by Jeremy Royce
starring & original music by Peter Wallner and Raya Heffernan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfY0THQop_g

for and questions please send e-mails to:
arhartman@gmail.com

thanks.
a

Ram Shani March 19th, 2008 02:57 PM

please try again

thanks

Mark Dawson March 19th, 2008 03:16 PM

XDCam f350 Footage from London

Hi everyone, well my first post of many to this forum. I have a F350 and wanted to share with everyone some fun footage from London on my website www.londonmarkfilms.co.uk Also I would like to take the opportunity to say a big thank you to Philip Bloom who has helped me tremendously a great guy and brilliant DOP.

Andy Graham March 19th, 2008 03:27 PM

Hey Mark, had a look at your footage, looks gorgeous . I've been seriously considering hiring the XDcam for my next feature, how do you find the post production workflow, are there any problems that you've ran into?.

Cheers
Andy

Greg Boston March 19th, 2008 03:31 PM

Nice work, Mark. I liked the way the colors popped on the Notting Hill Festival piece. Did you bump up the chroma in post?

regards,

-gb-

P.S. Mark, I see you started an identical thread in the XDCAM HD forum. DVINFO does not allow crossposting so I have removed your other one. This thread is fine in the Show Your Work forum.

Herminio Cordido March 19th, 2008 06:30 PM

New Film Trailer

I just finished a Film called Airflow, ant add it I'd Rather Fly on this basic wesite...
www.airflowtv.com
if you like it, get one!
Cheers

Dan Measel March 19th, 2008 08:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback Jay. I was a little torn on what to say there. Yeah, basically I was warning the reader it isn't up to par. The last thing I want is for someone to be expecting The Chronicles of Narnia and then feel like they got ripped off. But I also didn't want to be apologetic. I guess I didn't do too good of a job on that. I appreciate your objective input & will change it.

PJ Gallagher March 20th, 2008 12:19 AM

Brotherhood of the Y

My latest short film. Produced for a competition which required the film to be completed in ten days, and include a list of ten items. The theme for the comp this year was "Y".

www.caliburnproductions.com/Brotherhood.html

I picked up "Best Use of Festival Theme" and "Best Director". I also somehow managed to get "Best Actor" for my performance in another person's film :-)

Cheers
Pat

Niall Chadwick March 20th, 2008 03:34 AM

Mark

Nice work, looks great.

Can you tell us more about the setup of the camera...lenses you are using etc.

I am looking into getting an F350, and would like to know how you achieved that nice DOF that you had in some shots. Im guessing a few were with the lense on full zoom?

Thanks

Niall

PS, lol nevermind its on your website :( DOH!

Might I ask from which company you purchased the equipment?

Mark Dawson March 20th, 2008 03:41 AM

Thanks Andy, I can recommend highly the workflow no problems other than ensuring you NLE is compatible to read mxf. Greg Thanks for your comments I shoot flat on the day leaving more options in post, as this was interlace footage I used MB looks with diffusion set to soften the image with highlights set at 80% only and lifting the output bias just above normal (+0.478) to compensate. I only had the camera a few days at that time!

Mark Dawson March 20th, 2008 03:56 AM

Hi Niall,

I purchased from Preston Media in the UK. Talk to Andy.

Phil Kay March 20th, 2008 07:52 AM

Music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj_n4XnNNz8

Sean Hsieh March 20th, 2008 10:47 AM

great job eddie, this was definitely one of those "to-watch" videos for a lot of us. you did a great job with the cinematography and I think the a phenomenal job with the editing and sound mastering. I'm not sure if you did this intentionally, but most of the shots were framed so close to your subjects, and during your conversations you had a lot of cuts that focused on each subject as they were speaking. My only creative criticism would be to explore the usage of wider angle shots during convos and to take off some focus on the subjects, but more of the 'moment' of the situation. Otherwise, phenomenal short, the use of color grading was great.

Gerald Godbout March 22nd, 2008 08:04 AM

New Short Film "In The Dark"

Its been a while since I shot anything so this is me getting back into it.
Its a film about a boy, a girl, a thief and a dragon.
Check it out here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWb6Kb3UC50

Thomas Weilguny March 22nd, 2008 11:30 AM

fables / silent film

this is the first test vid from a short film about a legend surrounding the castle i work at. we want to recreate a semi-plausible silent film look, the whole thing will be intercut with footage from tourists / kids listening to the story being told.

http://www.unkreativ.at/julia/stummtest1.divx

would love to hear your thoughts, especially about

dust, scratches, etc.
white / black lines
vignetting
flickering
color

some additional screengrabs are here:

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=117282

Martin Labelle March 22nd, 2008 08:19 PM

I really like the trailer, and the voice of the narrator.It really wants to make me see the movie.But I don't like on the website to see the youtube version
I know its youtube but your encoding should be better.So maybe not show the youtube version if you cannot bring it better.For the mpeg it could be better again encoding or delivery quality.Work a bit harder on that. its not hollywood but your trailer can be the same quality if you do not have the same budget for the film.But I still would like to see the film, and its been a long time I had not a desire for a children movie.

Niall Chadwick March 25th, 2008 05:30 AM

DoF test film - Hailstorm

Tried to do some more camera tests with my V1 this weekend, and attempted to do some shots with a shallow DoF.

Link : http://www.vimeo.com/822459

This was down the bottom of the garden of my fathers house. I setup the camera outside, but heard thunder, so open the garden shed in case it poured. As you can see from the footage, the heavens opened.

Lessons I learned from this :

1. Let tripod settle before recording, as max zoom amplifies movement
2. Any touching of the camera/tripod creates wobble (ie stand still)
3. Remove the lanc controller from the Tripod, so I dont add wobble when using it
4. Practice Focus pulling more. :)

There has been no post production changes made to the footage. I know some (if not all :() of the shots have a bit of a wobble. But I would appreciate comments on shot selection, or anything else you might wish to add.

Thanks in advance.

Niall

Oliver Pahlow March 25th, 2008 06:25 PM

Creating movement or film with a single image

I have been experimenting (and I'm sure it has been done a million times) of creating the illusion of movement with a single image. This is an attempt on my part to make a reentry scene from space using lighting effects and pan on a single image.

www.blindchildproductions.com/Re_entry2.wmv

Loney Childress March 26th, 2008 01:35 AM

Hey, I thought they were both good. Deffinitely liked the Fear Factor-esqu one.

Either way, deffintely funny on both of them and they look like they were shot well.

I entered this contest as well. In fact I did one and helped my brother with his. If you're interested I'll put up the links for you.

Good luck and hope you had fun.

David Carter March 26th, 2008 03:43 AM

I liked that. I think it works so well as you are far away from the object you are animating over. It effectively becomes a background for your effects. Thanks.

Oliver Pahlow March 26th, 2008 08:54 AM

Thanks David

John Lofton IV March 28th, 2008 11:21 AM

Hey Oliver,

Pretty cool effect. Kind of slow for my taste, but I could see it as being used for an opening credits scene.

Check out my vid, I used some cool sfx in FCP. It's called, "Tunnel Vision"

Bryan Gilchrist March 28th, 2008 03:05 PM

The first one was ok, a little cheesy...but good none the less.

I think the second one got the message across a bit better, though.